Dragons COVID Breach

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jack de Belin hid under a bed in an attempt to escape the attention of NSW Police at teammate Paul Vaughan’s party place as the St George Illawarra Covid breach takes another humiliating turn.

Thirteen Dragons players on Monday were hit with $305,000 in fines — including $50,000 and a massive eight-game suspension for host Vaughan — after the NRL Integrity Unit found they tried to deceive the governing body on the events of last Saturday night.

The sanctions are so wide-ranging that the NRL has made the unprecedented decision to stagger the match suspensions of the Covid breakers so that the Dragons are able to field a side in their upcoming games.

The Dragons themselves have slammed the players’ “arrogance and ignorance” over the incident.

The governing body is fuming at the lengths of the deception the players went to in their attempts to withhold information from the integrity unit.

“When the police arrived, Jack de Belin was hiding under a bed,” Paul Kent revealed on NRL360. “That didn’t come to light until later.”

“I’d heard that a couple of players hid in cupboards,” The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield added.

The Integrity Unit spoke to de Belin on Sunday night, who confirmed he had been in attendance at the party, but did not disclose where he was when police arrived. On Monday he was fined $1000, like his 12 other teammates.

The governing body has determined staggering the suspensions is the best way to minimise overall damage to the game and in particular to the TV broadcast.

It comes amid fresh claims that the NSW Police are now believed to be investigating whether some other players’ wives and partners were at the party as well.

The NRL was not aware of this information. They are of the understanding only Vaughan’s wife, Ellie, was at the house.

The Dragons will hold an emergency board meeting on Tuesday where Vaughan’s future at the Dragons will be discussed.

It follows neighbours claiming that shortly after police entered the Vaughans home, a number of men and women could be seen “scampering” out a side door and “running” off down the street.

Meanwhile, there is certainly going to be some criticism of the decision to stagger the suspensions, however, the alternative was to make the Dragons basically field a reserve grade team for their next game against Manly on Friday week after this round’s bye.

Regardless the ongoing suspensions will damage the team’s hopes for weeks to come, potentially ruining their chances of playing finals this year.

The Dragons currently sit seventh on the NRL ladder.

“The 13 players’ arrogance and ignorance to both the NRL biosecurity protocols and the state government’s public health order is upsetting and infuriating,” said Dragons CEO Ryan Webb, adding that the players were well aware of the level-four protocols.

“All 13 players have let the rest of their teammates, the entirety of our hard-working staff, their families, the wider community and most importantly our Red V members, partners and fans, down.

“The entire club and our stakeholders will now be punished as a result of the combined 20-week suspension procured between the 13 players.

“The Dragons hold no reservations over the punishments handed down by the NRL Integrity Unit or NSW Police given the players’ complete disregard for both the game and community’s expectations.”

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope those fines goes to charities!
Is there any accountability and audit of where the fines go.
Knowing V’landys it's probably straight to the NRL Christmas bonus contingency fund

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So why the fuck was our club fined 50k when 12 of their players were involved and Saints don't get a fine? Clearly they didn't "properly educate their players" either.

Once again the double standards and lack of consistency come as no surprise and as usual our club gets the harshest punishment.
I don't think so, I think it was pretty fair.
Our players weren't suspended, they had to quarantine by nsw gov orders, nor were there fines that big. The club admitted to not passing the info on clearly

Dragons players have a total of $305k fines that is huge plus will have players out for the next 4 rounds. The players admitted the club had clearly informed them of the rules.

Pretty well handled I reckon.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think so, I think it was pretty fair.
Our players weren't suspended, they had to quarantine by nsw gov orders, nor were there fines that big. The club admitted to not passing the info on clearly

Dragons players have a total of $305k fines that is huge plus will have players out for the next 4 rounds. The players admitted the club had clearly informed them of the rules.

Pretty well handled I reckon.
How could the club not pass on the info properly? Everyone in NSW knows the protocols. Every club would have been given the NRL directives and restrictions. Why wouldn't the club pass it on to the players?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
These fines are outta control. How the fuck can you fine someone $50 000.
well your comment is as stupid as their act. they broke the law. They could have fucked the whole game up, how are the other states going to trust us?
honestly have a good look at yourself. they players lieing, lying under beds, doing runners out the side door.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
the neighbours that dobbed them in should be ashamed of themselves. imagine losing 50k for having a bbq with the same people you just trained and played footy with

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely if we lost 5 for 1 game that a precedent for suspension numbers was established for COVID offences, if they stagger the suspension (which is shit), it should be 5 one week, 5 the next, 2 the following and Vaughan the remaining 5 games.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Surely if we lost 5 for 1 game that a precedent for suspension numbers was established for COVID offences, if they stagger the suspension (which is shit), it should be 5 one week, 5 the next, 2 the following and Vaughan the remaining 5 games.
they have basically done that but giving the dragons the right to choose the players in each round

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How could the club not pass on the info properly? Everyone in NSW knows the protocols. Every club would have been given the NRL directives and restrictions. Why wouldn't the club pass it on to the players?
because Canterbury’s indiscretions were against NRL protocols - hence why they were able to go to the pub whereas the dragons players broke new health orders for lockdown that was statewide (plus nrl protocols ).
‘this is why Canterbury got fined - as they claimed not to have passed on the protocols when they were introduced a day or so earlier

Hotdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Are these fines paid before tax or after-tax?... fuck the Dragons, I’m getting a mate who works at the ATO to go after these *****

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What he says

because Canterbury’s indiscretions were against NRL protocols - hence why they were able to go to the pub whereas the dragons players broke new health orders for lockdown that was statewide (plus nrl protocols ).
‘this is why Canterbury got fined - as they claimed not to have passed on the protocols when they were introduced a day or so earlier
Basically the clu said they didn't pass on the info where as dragons proved they did.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are these fines paid before tax or after-tax?... fuck the Dragons, I’m getting a mate who works at the ATO to go after these *****
He'd be better off looking in to the roosters or storms tax returns to be honest.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mate is a dogs fan and lives next door to Vaughan. He said he saw him out the front as people were arriving and said look I’m not gonna call the cops but someone will. Vaughan’s response was meh I can afford the fine and I am happy to pay everyone’s fine. My mate said you’ll have to go into quarantine like the dogs players and he said got the bye next week so I will be good for our game against Manly. Guy just didn’t care!! He is an absolute moron!!
This is pure gold haha

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My mate is a dogs fan and lives next door to Vaughan. He said he saw him out the front as people were arriving and said look I’m not gonna call the cops but someone will. Vaughan’s response was meh I can afford the fine and I am happy to pay everyone’s fine. My mate said you’ll have to go into quarantine like the dogs players and he said got the bye next week so I will be good for our game against Manly. Guy just didn’t care!! He is an absolute moron!!
No offence bro but I call bull shit on that entire story lol