dragons could be in trouble with the salary cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
just heard on my local news that lance thompson has spoken up about the dragons offering him work after football which has something to do with the salary cap. not too sure just heard it quickly in ad break.

wouldnt suprise me if they are a million over the cap all the rep players they have

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That was yesterday, and not surprisingly the NRL did nothing

W

Winston Smith

craig said:
just heard on my local news that lance thompson has spoken up about the dragons offering him work after football which has something to do with the salary cap. not too sure just heard it quickly in ad break.

wouldnt suprise me if they are a million over the cap all the rep players they have
same here

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
heard this last night, tbh i think its funny that he dobbed them in :p

*waits for nrl to do something*

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
as i said i just heard it on local news down here in wollongong. we get the news a bit late.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
craig said:
as i said i just heard it on local news down here in wollongong. we get the news a bit late.
So Kimmeh got it in NZ before you heard it in the Gong?? Where the St George Illawarra dragons are from. :D

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
lets not rush into anything yet and make judgments if its not 100% certain...

but if it is true it will be interesting to see how the nrl reacts....

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
BAZA said:
So Kimmeh got it in NZ before you heard it in the Gong?? Where the St George Illawarra dragons are from. :D
Haha ... good one

M

MrCharisma

I don't think they are

They tie up alot of players on small contracts...

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Wouldn't be suprised due to how many stars they have in there line up

M

MrCharisma

The Dragons are just like the Roosters..... they tie up young players to big deals... so when they hit their peek, they are worth chips

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
Most teams offer work after Retirement to players they want to keep. This is very obvious when you see who is running around as trainers/ coaches/ support teams these days...

Russ

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
the dragqueens have an abundance of juniors coming through their system and as you said mr c... they tie them up to huge contracts...

M

MrCharisma

bulldogruss said:
Most teams offer work after Retirement to players they want to keep. This is very obvious when you see who is running around as trainers/ coaches/ support teams these days...

Russ
But the difference between them and the Warriors, is that they guranetted Wiki and Price their position and their salaries, so it had to be included.

Whilst with the Bulldogs for example, we'd probably say to Tony Grimaldi "we've always got a place for you at the Dogs somewhere"....

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mr C. is right. The contract must stipulate that the "retirement" job is part of the salary deal. There is no breach if they just offer a player the job once he has retired. Freddy Fittler is working for the Roosters, but it wasn't part of his playing contract.

As for the Dragons, unless Thompson has the paperwork, it's his word against theirs.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying and they have been caught out. The problem I do have is that I ma sure the other clubs are/ have done this before - and it is very easy to see now after it has all been done (ie. they are in the jobs etc...).

My comment is purely to highlight the inadequacies (sic) of the current "Salary Cap" System

Russ

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/...7-23214,00.html

Doust confirms some of Thompson's claim
By Todd Balym
March 1, 2006

ST George-Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust has admitted speaking to Lance Thompson about a post-football career with the club, but he denies such an offer was ever included in the former Dragons captain's contract.

Doust responded today to the former Dragons back rower's claims that the club had assured him a post-football job worth a $100,000 a year in return for taking a $200,000 pay cut in 2005.

The Dragons boss wouldn't categorically deny Thompson's claims, conceding the player's future was often discussed but saying that an agreement never existed on paper.

"I said before in various locations that Lance and I often talked about what he would do after football," Doust said.

"I was always concerned as was he about what his future may hold post-football. We talked about coaching qualifications and coaching jobs.

"But as I said before, we negotiated a determination of our arrangements in 2005 and that determination was confidential and registered with the salary cap auditor and that is all I want to say about it."

The NRL has launched a preliminary investigation into the claims made by Thompson, who now plays for the Sharks, on the Nine Network on Monday.

Thompson's manager, Khoder Nasser, also weighed into the debate yesterday, challenging Doust to take legal action against his client to prove the job guarantee did not exist.

But Doust said today that he would like to talk to the former Dragons veteran, who left the club on bitter terms last December, to resolve the situation.

"I think we will talk about it, Lance and I, because I think we had a respect for each other over a long period of time," he said.
"Obviously things weren't as we would have liked previously around Christmas and so forth ... I have no reason not to talk to him due to the fact I hold a great deal of respect for him and what he did as a football player with our club.

"I don't want to pitch any remarks about Lance.

"I don't know why we come back to these sorts of things, and I don't want to offer any remarks about Lance about what he is thinking or feeling until I actually talk to him about it.

"We want to move on and I honestly think Lance wants to move on as far as his career is concerned and it's a shame we are brought back to those sorts of issues.

"I really believe it is better for everybody if we just move on."

NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed the league would investigate Thompson's claims fully, and that it may call upon Thompson to justify his statement.

AAP

Summary Section for above article including translations

ST George-Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust has admitted speaking to Lance Thompson about a post-football career with the club, but he denies such an offer was ever included in the former Dragons captain's contract.

Doust responded today to the former Dragons back rower's claims that the club had assured him a post-football job worth a $100,000 a year in return for taking a $200,000 pay cut in 2005.

The Dragons boss wouldn't categorically deny Thompson's claims, conceding the player's future was often discussed but saying that an agreement never existed on paper.
OK, it was a handshake deal.

"But as I said before, we negotiated a determination of our arrangements in 2005 and that determination was confidential and registered with the salary cap auditor and that is all I want to say about it."

The NRL has launched a preliminary investigation into the claims made by Thompson, who now plays for the Sharks, on the Nine Network on Monday.

Thompson's manager, Khoder Nasser, also weighed into the debate yesterday, challenging Doust to take legal action against his client to prove the job guarantee did not exist.
Thompsons manager has pretty much confirmed that he will testify that the deal occurred.

But Doust said today that he would like to talk to the former Dragons veteran, who left the club on bitter terms last December, to resolve the situation.

"I think we will talk about it, Lance and I, because I think we had a respect for each other over a long period of time," he said.
"Obviously things weren't as we would have liked previously around Christmas and so forth ... I have no reason not to talk to him due to the fact I hold a great deal of respect for him and what he did as a football player with our club.
Doust is willing to pay Thompson to shut up.

We don't want to lose points.

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
Lol i love the
we dont want to lose points part

IF found guilty it will be intresting to see what happen to dragons but i doubt they will be found guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.