Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

2004 Premiers

Draft issue resurfaces at conferenceSportal
The NRL has tabled a 'talent equalisation' proposal at its annual conference in Sydney, which has again provoked discussion of a rugby league draft.

The NRL has proposed an idea of a territorial external draft that it hopes would be an effective means of sharing the wealth amongst all clubs.

Similar to the former zoning allocations in the VFL, the draft would tie clubs to regional areas, and would prevent clubs from signing players from another club's area until the player had turned 19.

Each team would be limited to a pool of 6000 junior players.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;74011...bettingzone.com.au/default.aspx?s=rugbyleagueNRL chief executive David Gallop told AAP he realised it would be a long time before the proposal could be finalised, but hoped the clubs would see the benefits of the concept.

"It's a way of saving money that's currently spent on recruiting potential players. It refocuses money on pure development rather than recruitment," Gallop said.

"In comparison to a pure draft, it maintains the ability of local boys to become local heroes."

"Andrew Johns is going to become a Newcastle hero, Matt Bowen is going to become a North Queensland hero. He's not going to get put into a draft at 18 where he could finish up anywhere, which is what a pure draft does."

Player burnout was also an issue that received much discussion on the first day of the two-day conference.

Several of the Kangaroos' victorious squad returned from their Tri-Nations campaign in Great Britain today and complained of a lengthy international series.

But the NRL has spoken to the clubs and revealed the 2005 series was likely to involve a shorter overseas trip.

The NRL and club chief executives also discussed a rookie camp, which will be held prior to the 2005 season and will see four players from each club will undertake a two-day course at Sydney University.

The effect of the NSW government's new poker machine taxes, which has seen some club grants cut by between $5-10 million, was also discussed.

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
So what if some areas have a lot of talented young players and others dont??? I know the chances of that happening, but it is possible. Some young talented palyers could miss out simply coz their local club had reached its number of players, while other clubs may still have room.

MR GEORGE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will not happen someone will challege it in court and win.

Rushy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In some instances I believe the draft is a good idea, but personally believe it should be left up to the individual. I mean as long as they don't forget where they come from, whats the problem? Its like living in the suburbs and working in the city.
Its your livelihood. If your going to get a better start somewhere else.. whats the problem? But then again, strongly believe in developing and maintaining young talent - so really am torn!

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
It will tough to bring in (thanks to Terry Hill), but I would prefer to have a full draft for all players. It would stop all this mid-season signings and crap all over the papers about who might be going where.

M

MrCharisma

Draft isn't fair to the clubs who put hard work into their talent.... leave it how it is. Player distribution is finally beginning to kick in and the Salary Cap is taking in effect.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
On the contrary MrC, I think the draft is better for those clubs. If players cannot pick and choose where they go then they are more likely to stay where they are.

M

MrCharisma

I don't think it's fair on players and clubs. The their isn't enough talent to be throwing around like the NBA or AFL and hell, not much changes in the AFL each year. I say leave it how it is... the salary cap is fixing everything slowly

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
I don't think the Salary Cap will ever "fix" anything. Look at the top 4 this year and you see arguably the 4 richest clubs in the comp there. It is definitely helping but it cannot do the job on it's own.

Clubs like Souths and Tigers cannot intice good players to their club because of lack of money and previous success. The draft will help that problem.

The Draft does not penalise any club that wants to keep their players, all that happens is a player who wants to leave will put themselves into the draft at the end of the year and be picked up by one of the clubs. I'd say the clubs would like it but the players wouldn't be as happy about it.

As for the most important people of all (the fans), I think you would find that the majority of fans would be in favor of it as well.

Itchy

Waterboy
Reaction score
The draft would only even out the competition. It's worked well in the AFL. Although Brisbane have been very successful the past few years, a lot of the clubs that were in the semi's this year were down the bottom of the ladder a year or 2 ago.

From what I understand if a player comes off contract he can re-sign with his current club or go into the draft. Is this correct?

M

MrCharisma

Cammo said:
I don't think the Salary Cap will ever "fix" anything. Look at the top 4 this year and you see arguably the 4 richest clubs in the comp there. It is definitely helping but it cannot do the job on it's own.

Clubs like Souths and Tigers cannot intice good players to their club because of lack of money and previous success. The draft will help that problem.

The Draft does not penalise any club that wants to keep their players, all that happens is a player who wants to leave will put themselves into the draft at the end of the year and be picked up by one of the clubs. I'd say the clubs would like it but the players wouldn't be as happy about it.

As for the most important people of all (the fans), I think you would find that the majority of fans would be in favor of it as well.
I think it's the other way actually. 2001 Parramatta dominated the competition and from the players who have left from then, you could create two new teams.

The point of the Salary Cap is to even sides out and look at how talent is being spread out. Top4 sides like the Roosters, Bulldogs and Penrith have lost so much quality. Parramatta this year gained Tahu, PJ Marsh, Stringer and Riddell for starters... the Tigers have gained Sattler and Waituara or however you spell it and Souths are investing their money into the juniors HOWEVER have gained the service of Chris Walker, Adam MacDougall and Terry Hill as well are heavily linked with Brian Carney and Richard Horne. The cap hasn't evened out the comp yet but next year you'll see Manly, Parramatta and NZ contesting for the Top8 and it was only this year they were all battling it out for Wooden Spoon.

How can you tell me the Salary Cap isn't working?

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
If the Salary Cap as the sole option was working then The Roosters would not have been able to sign Firman, Roberts and all the others that they have signed for next season. Why have Souths gone nowhere in 3 years? Why haven't the Tigers gone anywhere in 6 years?

The fact is that the Salary Cap does do a job of evening out the comp, but it does not do enough just by itself. It needs other regulations to work along side it to help it work to it's full potential. I think that a draft is one of those things.

M

MrCharisma

Ok...

* South Sydney are a newly built side. How successful can any business be in 3 years. I could write a 1,000 word essay on all the players Souths very lost because they were kicked out of the comp. Braith Anasta, Craig Wing and Dennis Moran for starters.

* The Roosters each year have lost quality players. The thing also with the Rooster is that they sign guys early in their career on long contracts. You'll find many players at the Roosters sign a 3 year min contract so when they are good they're still on cheap contracts. Guys like Le'Strange, Tupou, Walker, Minichello... etc have only become good in the last couple of years. As well as that they've lost Brad Fittler who'd be on big money, Luke Ricketson will go next year.... plus they've signed unhappy players like Monaghan and Firman.

* The Tigers are also in a rebuilding stage and I think are coming very well. They've had to sign ****e for a while but now they are building a reputation and you'll find name players will move there. They've invested in young guys like Halautu, Prince and Marshall and will reap the benifits in the next few seasons.

The Salary Cap is working things out and you will see the difference in the next few seasons. The competition will never be 100% fair because of young players who burst on the scene, signed to junior contracts lik SBW and then when their contract finishes you'll see the difference and sides will lose these players or pay an arm and a leg to retain them.

I still believe the Draft isn't a thing to do.

G

_GGB_

Draft isn't very good... especially 4 teams like the dogs with good talent scouts... isnt it gonna stop our scouts from identifying talent at a young age coz its out of our given area... also which side gets access to NZ juniors?????

Blue Beard

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They have no intention of looking at a full draft system, only a draft in relation to the juniors. But I much prefer the idea of club area allocation.....because then you get to identify out of a certain area and it will all come down to the clubs development ability not their recruitment ability (the amount of money they throw around).
This is going to help stop clubs like Brisbane and Parramatta, signing kids to deal at a young age and never actually using them, while not allowing them to sign with anyone else and therfore losing them from the game forever.....it will also stop things like what happened earlier this year when Newcastle signed the most promising local talent Melbourne had, which is totally unfair considering they are struggling for local juniors and only until there is local kids in there will Melbourne be taken seriously by the Melbourne public.
And the answer to Dodgy Dogs question is 'The Warriors get the selection form the NZ juniors..........unfortunately.

D

Danish

I think all of you have missed the point of the style of draft they are talking about.

It doesnt affect players already in the game. Its all about allocating areas where each club is allowed to recruit young talent from. So the big clubs (the roosters and the dogs do it well) cant fly up to brissy and pick up players.

If the draft had been in place for 10 years SBW, O'Meley, Utai, Vangana would all not have been at the dogs.

The draft is a joke, as poorer clubs simply dont have the resources to send scouts to regional areas to find the possible stars and also just the possible 1st fillers of the future, and many possible greats could miss out purely because their zoned club either didnt have room for them, had their position filled (fat chance of a 5/8 in the broncos zone being picked up for the next 15 years) or they simply werent seen.

I think the NRL needs to stop trying to pull the top teams down and start trying to build the lower teams up with allowances, salary cap exemptions etc.

I mean what would you rather? A comp where all the teams are at about parra level, or all teams are at top 4 level?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the concept used in the AFL where clubs have their own city and country areas to draw young talent from. This prevents poaching by the rich clubs.

Allied with salary cap exemptions for developing juniors from within these territories, all clubs would be able to field their best players.

Once established in the major grades players can then be approached by rival clubs if they can fit them in under their cap. This gives the best of both worlds.

D

Danish

Chris Harding said:
I like the concept used in the AFL where clubs have their own city and country areas to draw young talent from. This prevents poaching by the rich clubs.

Allied with salary cap exemptions for developing juniors from within these territories, all clubs would be able to field their best players.

Once established in the major grades players can then be approached by rival clubs if they can fit them in under their cap. This gives the best of both worlds.
But how would they divide it up?

They say it will mean young talent will stay local. So are they jsut going to have to divide NSW among 10 teams, QLD among 2, VIC to the storm then NZ to the warriors?

That would be ridiculous. Brisbane and north qld will soon become the 2 dominant teams with the rest of the league well behind.

So then what? Raise the salary cap so that sydney clubs can afford to attact the big name players from up north? then you'd have the poor teams whinging again.

The system works fine now. It all goes in cycles. Clubs just have to wait their turn. Except for Souths. Souths will never be back up. They'll be gone within 5 years

Blue Beard

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Brisbane would be divided between more than just the 2 QLD teams, Melbourne get a certain area, as do the Raiders and I think the Roosters (somehow??)
The area have been estimated and pencilled in, but certain teams are kicking up a stink......but i believe it is the best possible option and the only way we can prevent the richer clubs continually poaching developing players from other clubs....

Status
Not open for further replies.