Down & Derby <3....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your Mum

Jorgie
Reaction score
First of, how bout that ride in hey? I guess that's why they call it sin city. Ha ha ha. But seriously, it's been a while. Hope youre all well :grinning: Havent had much time to post since Roller Derby stole my soul.

What is roller derby? Probably the best sport ever invented (NRL inclusive :p). So I want to share the derby love and educate you all onthe sport that has stolen my heart cause we are looking for girls and guys who are keen on getting involved in this awesome sport.

Roller Derby is a contact sport played by two teams made up of girls. The rules of Roller Derby are, two teams of five players each skate pack-style counter-clockwise around a thin track. The two positions in Roller Derby are blockers and jammers (your fastest player). Jammers in Roller Derby try to get through the pack and the first one who does is the lead jammer. Points are scored in Roller Derby when the jammers go through the pack a second time. Blockers do their best to stop the opposing jammers by hitting opposing players as hard as they can using shoulder barges, hip checks, booty blocking to knock em down BUT they also have to help their own jammers move through the pack by doing what is known as whipping.

When asked by people what it is, i basically tell em its like rugby league, for girls, on skates. Here's a good video on youtube to show you what some of the hits are like....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZNFdkZ-SbE

Also here is an article featured in last week's Canterbury-Bankstown Express newspaper

South West Sydney Rockets call for more derby girls
http://express.whereilive.com.au/news/story/south-west-sydney-rockets-call-for-more-derby-girls/

THE feisty fish-netted derby girls of the South West Sydney Rockets are after fresh meat for their fledgling all-female squad.

The rough and tumble team, established mid-last year, already has more than 40 members, about 13 of which are from Canterbury-Bankstown.

“It’s sisterhood,” team member Jorgina Medina, 25, of Belmore, said when asked to describe the increasingly popular contact sport.

Medina, whose on-track name is Lady Gag-her, a reference to the pop star of a similar name, encouraged girls of all shapes and sizes to attend one of the squad’s intake sessions to see the girls get down and derby.

“It’s full on, it’s strong, it’s sexy. You’ve got your derby sisters and your derby wives. It’s a unique sport. It’s something that any girl can get involved in,” she said.

Played on roller skates, the object of the game is for two competing teams to skate around an oval track and score points.

Points are scored by a player known as a “jammer,” who must overtake the opposing team’s blockers to complete a circuit.

Blending elements of feminism, punk ethos and a do-it-yourself attitude, roller derby has soared in popularity since its re-emergence in the mid-2000s.

The southwest Sydney league’s motto of “blood, sweat and bruises” rings true for Medina, who is nursing a fractured tailbone.

She said the league had accumulated “an array of awesome bruises” including bruises “shaped like roller skates”.

She said the league even held a Bruise of the Year competition last year.

“We actually wear our injuries with pride.”

The league’s two teams, the Sinderollers and the Elm St Nightmares, will compete against each other in April, in the first of three interleague bouts.

In June, they will also compete in the Western Region Roller Derby Smack Down.

To join the league, show up to a fresh meat training session each Sunday from 4pm at the Michael Wenden Centre, 62 Cabramatta Rd, Miller."

If youre still interested Check out this video for a brief on roller derby in Australia and all over the world. Its the trailer from a documentary called "this is roller derby"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e15YdOueJuY

or for more info visit SWS website http://swsrollers.com/

or http://www.rollerderbydownunder.com/news.php to find the league closest to you <3

mikey_mtp

Kennel Established
Reaction score
aha this is awesome! If i had breasts and a vagina, i'd do this.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jorgie, fractured tailbone???

Much ouch!!!! Bruises I might be able to dismiss, but fractures aren't the best advertisement.

How do you recover from that kind of injury? :confused:

Q-Tip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't a movie made about this sport. The name of it escapes me...

Your Mum

Jorgie
Reaction score
Jorgie, fractured tailbone???

Much ouch!!!! Bruises I might be able to dismiss, but fractures aren't the best advertisement.

How do you recover from that kind of injury? :confused:
hey kat, only way to heal is time. I was on anti inflamattories for a few weeks and have been (still am) using a doughnut pillow to take pressure off my tailbone. I have now finished my 4-6 weeks healing time and can now get back on skates! Wohooo!

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I'm so glad you've linked this Jorgie .... CK is a massive fan !!!

Thinking of bringing my (soon-to-be 5yo) daughter to watch :thumb:

Mikey - Go take pics son ... ;)

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
What was that movie again from drew barrymore?

Edit that's right whip it good movie by barrymore

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Would not want to get into a brawl with any of those girls.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's like Rugby League, with skates? I reckon it's more like Nascar with skates.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Woah, some tough chicks there.

Excuse me for saying this but FMD the smell in the locker room of sweaty vagina would be rife in that sport!!

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh FFS :(

I would LOVE to do Derby. Shame that, despite my great balance, I have never been able to master roller blades/ice skates/skateboards. :(

mikey_mtp

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need guys to reff, we have a few blokes on our team :grinning:
oh mad! Not sure if i'd have to the time to do either, so i'll just take photos lol. But glad to know you're still well and hurrah on making it into ze paper.

Oh FFS :(

I would LOVE to do Derby. Shame that, despite my great balance, I have never been able to master roller blades/ice skates/skateboards. :(
Who cares, give it a go. This could be the place to improve your balance.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
long time no see

looks great mate. kick ass and post pics in this, your exclusive roller derby superthread

:grinning:

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
ps, miller?

oh god and i thought campbelltown was bad
Allow me to drive you to Tahmoor one day .... country bred, grain fed, 100% natural "hicks" !
All of them have 2 acre properties and sound like Cletus !

Status
Not open for further replies.