Status
Not open for further replies.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
NFL is completely different due to the rules they have and the enforced stoppages for advertising etc. They can have 2 mins between plays. NRL is supposed to be relatively non-stop and thats why the bunker can only rule on incidents relating to tries. The reason why the ref has to commit to a decision is because previously they didn't and if the bunker didn't have a clear view then it was just a coin toss. Now at least it is more like the old days with the refs ruling on the play but then using the bunker to double check them. Much better system.
I am a long time NFL fan, I know how they run. It's the best system.

The more people involved makes it eaiser to rort and/or get wrong.

I just think the on field ref should follow the NFL lead, let him check the footage, and make the call. The "bunker didn't have a clear view" will be a non-existent arguement as the on-field ref would have his view, plus footage.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I just think the on field ref should follow the NFL lead, let him check the footage, and make the call. The "bunker didn't have a clear view" will be a non-existent arguement as the on-field ref would have his view, plus footage.
Could not handle a 4 hour nrl game
It's a joke how long nfl take, the actual play time in NFL is a greater joke
Steer away from those muppets please

P.s how'd the boy go on the weekend?

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
How is it better?

If they need to go upstairs they have doubts at a minimum. A lot of the time they simply don’t know. They are guessing.

If the bunker is called in they are in a better position to rule on the TRY than the on field ref.

The theory that they are right there and have the best view is a crock of shit. The technology is there. Everyone at home can see what has happed from every angle. If they saw it, call it. Otherwise they have NFI

If it’s not a clear guaranteed TRY the bunker rules NO TRY. Benefit of the doubt with the defence. Which is opposite to what it used to be.
Sorry mate but you have it around the wrong way. You seem to assume the ref doesn't have a clue and that is the reason why he sends it upstairs. Now in maybe 1% of cases that may be true and in those cases he will invariably rule no try and get the bunker to check. In all the other cases he has a view. It is exactly the same as 1920. The ref rules on a call. The only difference now is that because we have the technology he has the opportunity to double check just in case he has missed something. That can't be anything other than a positive in my view. We want people to make the decisions and in this case they are but also checking to make sure they haven't missed a fumble or a foot into touch or some other thing that was hard to pick up on the run.

As for the bunker being in a better position, yes a lot of the time they are which is why the ref asks them to check, but equally a lot of the time they can't tell one way or the other due to a player obstructing the vision. You'll see it a few times this week no doubt. So if it was left up to the bunker like it used to be you would have nothing but whinging and bleating from fans (again) about how the system is corrupt. This way at least a decision is made.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

I follow the NFL too and go to games in the US when I go over there. Love going to the games. the setup is just so different though to NRL. There are 7 refs/linesman in NFL. We only have 4. There is a stoppage after every play so stopping to review footage doesn't impede the play as fatigue isn't an issue in their game. The other thing is that it isn't the referee that calls up the footage, its the bunker and the ref can only look at what they send him. In our case the bunker has a ref in there and he reviews it. So from that perspective it makes no difference. Cost is an issue as well. The US system costs $300k per ground to install. We don't have that kind of money. That's one of the reasons we went with a centralised bunker.

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a try everyday of the week. Here’s the acid test, if Tapane was a Dogs player everyone would be saying it’s a try

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Games go for around 2.5 hrs not 4 but I agree with you we couldn't play league like that. Fatigue is a critical dynamic in our footy. It is irrelevant in theirs. BTW when you go to a game it really doesn't seem that long. Lots happening at the ground.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

It would take the same time, or less bro. Instead of have 3 duds in the box rorting, the rorting will be all on the on field refs head.

Had a comeback victory bro against the Bulldogs. We were down 8 tries to 5 at 3/4 time, came back and won 9 tries to 8 lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sorry mate but you have it around the wrong way. You seem to assume the ref doesn't have a clue and that is the reason why he sends it upstairs. Now in maybe 1% of cases that may be true and in those cases he will invariably rule no try and get the bunker to check. In all the other cases he has a view. It is exactly the same as 1920. The ref rules on a call. The only difference now is that because we have the technology he has the opportunity to double check just in case he has missed something. That can't be anything other than a positive in my view. We want people to make the decisions and in this case they are but also checking to make sure they haven't missed a fumble or a foot into touch or some other thing that was hard to pick up on the run.

As for the bunker being in a better position, yes a lot of the time they are which is why the ref asks them to check, but equally a lot of the time they can't tell one way or the other due to a player obstructing the vision. You'll see it a few times this week no doubt. So if it was left up to the bunker like it used to be you would have nothing but whinging and bleating from fans (again) about how the system is corrupt. This way at least a decision is made.
You're missing my whole point lol

Why do we need a bunker when the ref can check the footage himself is all I'm asking.

EDIT just read your post after that one.

PS who do you follow?

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Corruption all the way to the top, they never want Bulldog victories, not bad for the NRLs biggest fan base.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You're missing my whole point lol

Why do we need a bunker when the ref can check the footage himself is all I'm asking.

EDIT just read your post after that one.

PS who do you follow?
Giants. Went to a game at Metlife in October. Had a great time. 85000 fans all having a good time. Rock concerts in the walkways. Just 3-4 hours of constant hype.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Giants. Went to a game at Metlife in October. Had a great time. 85000 fans all having a good time. Rock concerts in the walkways. Just 3-4 hours of constant hype.
I always find it funny when poeple criticise the NFL for being slow and tactical but watch a 5 day cricket test without issue.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Or the NRL could find better competent officials

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I always find it funny when poeple criticise the NFL for being slow and tactical but watch a 5 day cricket test without issue.
Ha. I love my cricket as well but the NFL always has something going on whether it be on the field or on the screens. They even have continuous updates of all the other games going on. You just have to look at it differently and it is a great game. It's part chess, part gladiator, part war game and a whole lot of practice.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It would take the same time, or less bro. Instead of have 3 duds in the box rorting, the rorting will be all on the on field refs head.

Had a comeback victory bro against the Bulldogs. We were down 8 tries to 5 at 3/4 time, came back and won 9 tries to 8 lol
Maybe you can give the dogs a few tips on sneaking the 2 points
You guys must me near or at the top of the table

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Maybe you can give the dogs a few tips on sneaking the 2 points
You guys must me near or at the top of the table
Well "officially", there isn't a ladder or finals for under 6's

Unofficially we are 2nd, with only one win behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.