Double Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was that the one where Atkins actually stood there for about thirty seconds deciding whether to say try or no try??
This is a rort of a system.
The bunker has to go with the on field decision if they are not 100%.
The on field ref has had to guess something they didn’t see.

Any decision that goes upstairs means the ref doesn’t know! The bunker makes the decisions without bias. The argument that the on field ref has a better view is bullshit. With the 500 cameras at the ground every angle is covered. With the benefit of multiple looks.

Same goes for forward passes. Bunker should be ruling on these also!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Any decision that goes upstairs means the ref doesn’t know! The bunker makes the decisions without bias. The argument that the on field ref has a better view is bullshit. With the 500 cameras at the ground every angle is covered. With the benefit of multiple looks.

Are you still wondering why crowd attendance numbers are drastically falling ?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll cop it as being called a try
The thing that really looks bad is standing on the hill watching the ref
Glancing in every direction for an eternity and not making a call
He took forever,in other words just take a guess at the end before sending it upstairs
NRL should place a time limit on them

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Why is it a rort? If there is no bunker the ref has to rule. He rules a try. End of section. With the bunker he tells the bunker he is going to give a try unless they find a damn good reason for him not to. In this case they couldn't find a damn good reason so his ruling stands. It really can't get any more simple and straight forward than that. It doesn't mean the ref got his original ruling right or that the bunker got their review wrong. Humans will always make mistakes, but the bottom line is they have ruled and while we may not agree with it the job is done. Move on.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it a rort? If there is no bunker the ref has to rule. He rules a try. End of section. With the bunker he tells the bunker he is going to give a try unless they find a damn good reason for him not to. In this case they couldn't find a damn good reason so his ruling stands. It really can't get any more simple and straight forward than that. It doesn't mean the ref got his original ruling right or that the bunker got their review wrong. Humans will always make mistakes, but the bottom line is they have ruled and while we may not agree with it the job is done. Move on.
Yeh there is no rort
But what do you think about the ref on Saturday night just not making a call for a real long time
It looked like he was reluctant either way
I was with amongst others on the hill who had the same opinion

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeh there is no rort
But what do you think about the ref on Saturday night just not making a call for a real long time
It looked like he was reluctant either way
I was with amongst others on the hill who had the same opinion
Lot going through the refs minds these days. He has to consult with the pocket and the touchies, call time off, signal for a review then give a decision. I think that sometimes they just forget to do one or other of the elements and the refs boss gets in their ear literally and reminds them to do one thing or another and in this case it was to make a call. I've seen a few times where the refs have forgotten to do it and then been reminded and do it late. I think the current system is about as right as its going to get. The refs have to commit and the bunker has to find a good enough reason to disagree with them. I'm good with that, even though occasionally I don't agree with the decision, but that's footy.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lolllll. Yeah let’s blame a correct ruling and not pay as a coach thinking we’ve improved after letting in 3 tries within 8 minutes.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ll cop it as being called a try
The thing that really looks bad is standing on the hill watching the ref
Glancing in every direction for an eternity and not making a call
He took forever,in other words just take a guess at the end before sending it upstairs
NRL should place a time limit on them
He was waiting for the odds to come through :grimacing:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sad thing is people bet on two ants fighting :fearscream:
It’s a real problem in our society
I couldn’t care less about all these betting agencies
Just like going to the games and watch my team Play

bantam rooster

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the reason we lost was lichaa . what a dickhead running the ball up like that letting a one on one strip happen . just get rid of him

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesnt matter we blew that game our own fault

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Why does the on field ref have to decide try or not try before sending it up to the video ref? It shows he isnt sure. If he is sure, either give the try or don't.

It is a pointless and stupid system which opens up more rorting possibilities. Half the time their body language shows they really don't know and basically flip a coin. Sometimes they call try then ask them to check everything.

If it were up to me, I'd follow the NFL process, the actual ref walks over to a monitor, checks footage himself, then makes a decision. No bunker needed.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Should simplify the rules on this.

1. The on field ref does NOT make a call. If try cannot be 100% confirmed = NO TRY.
2. Once the ball hits the ground with a defender on it. That's it. Tackle complete. Remove momentum from the equation and you have a constantly fair ruling on this.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If I understood correctly, going by the letter of the law, wouldn't lifting the ball carrying elbow deem it a no try?

OR is it a grey area on purpose to assist the refs rigging results?
Nah.
What they mean by that is; if the place on your body where the ball is first grounded, winds up over the line via momentum, it’ll be a try even if you’ve promoted the ball.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Why does the on field ref have to decide try or not try before sending it up to the video ref? It shows he isnt sure. If he is sure, either give the try or don't.

It is a pointless and stupid system which opens up more rorting possibilities. Half the time their body language shows they really don't know and basically flip a coin. Sometimes they call try then ask them to check everything.

If it were up to me, I'd follow the NFL process, the actual ref walks over to a monitor, checks footage himself, then makes a decision. No bunker needed.
NFL is completely different due to the rules they have and the enforced stoppages for advertising etc. They can have 2 mins between plays. NRL is supposed to be relatively non-stop and thats why the bunker can only rule on incidents relating to tries. The reason why the ref has to commit to a decision is because previously they didn't and if the bunker didn't have a clear view then it was just a coin toss. Now at least it is more like the old days with the refs ruling on the play but then using the bunker to double check them. Much better system.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Should simplify the rules on this.

1. The on field ref does NOT make a call. If try cannot be 100% confirmed = NO TRY.
2. Once the ball hits the ground with a defender on it. That's it. Tackle complete. Remove momentum from the equation and you have a constantly fair ruling on this.
Haha what? So if you get tackle 1 metre short but slide over the line you deserve to be penalized?

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NFL is completely different due to the rules they have and the enforced stoppages for advertising etc. They can have 2 mins between plays. NRL is supposed to be relatively non-stop and thats why the bunker can only rule on incidents relating to tries. The reason why the ref has to commit to a decision is because previously they didn't and if the bunker didn't have a clear view then it was just a coin toss. Now at least it is more like the old days with the refs ruling on the play but then using the bunker to double check them. Much better system.
How is it better?

If they need to go upstairs they have doubts at a minimum. A lot of the time they simply don’t know. They are guessing.

If the bunker is called in they are in a better position to rule on the TRY than the on field ref.

The theory that they are right there and have the best view is a crock of shit. The technology is there. Everyone at home can see what has happed from every angle. If they saw it, call it. Otherwise they have NFI

If it’s not a clear guaranteed TRY the bunker rules NO TRY. Benefit of the doubt with the defence. Which is opposite to what it used to be.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
It’s a try, the only 2 fuck ups leading to the lose was Lichaa the dumb **** couldn’t hold on to the ball and Blow job leilua put into touch but was a penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.