Don't lose faith after our round 1 loss. Stats of the 20 NRL Premiers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
There have been 20 NRL seasons and these are stats of the winners of each season.

1. 45% didn't win in round 1.
2. 15% didn't win any of their first 2 games.
3. 35% only had 1 win in their first 3 games.
4. 20% only had 1 win in the first 4 games.
5. 50% won 2 or less of their first 4 games.
6. 0% had no wins in their first 4 games.
7. Only 4 times did the premiers win their first 4 games (Storm 3 times and Broncos 1 time).

So in summary as long as we win 1 of our first 3 games and 2 of our first 4 games we will still be in a prime position.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting but what will help us win games is DEFENSE!!
Like what I saw when we had the ball.
But leaking 6 tries and Melbourne ran a lot more meters with 48% possession.
Good test comming up with Roosters.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interesting but what will help us win games is DEFENSE!!
Like what I saw when we had the ball.
But leaking 6 tries and Melbourne ran a lot more meters with 48% possession.
Good test comming up with Roosters.
Fatigue was a factor in that game IMO. The boys will be all the better for the run.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Another stat is our completion rate was 68% or 70% whichever source you believe

Either way our defence and ball control need work oh and discipline (9 conceded compared to Storm 4)

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I generally like most of our posts, but Bro, lets be honest, we only turn to stats and technicalities when we’re losing. When we win who gives a fuck lol winning is winning. Let’s just get that defence back and fkn literally bruise ***** that run at us make them fkn scared to even eye one of our ***** out. I don’t think woods can be included as I don’t think my mum would be intimidated the slightest running at him. She’ll probably tell him to grow up and that no son of hers will look like a girl.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I generally like most of our posts, but Bro, lets be honest, we only turn to stats and technicalities when we’re losing. When we win who gives a fuck lol winning is winning. Let’s just get that defence back and fkn literally bruise ***** that run at us make them fkn scared to even eye one of our ***** out. I don’t think woods can be included as I don’t think my mum would be intimidated the slightest running at him. She’ll probably tell him to grow up and that no son of hers will look like a girl.
I was just showing that after 1 loss it doesn't mean our season is over. We need to improve big time to have a chance but we have the talent to make the 8. Fitness and cohesion will improve by the game.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That’s true

Stats is what drunks lean on for support rather than illumination

Lol

I do agree about ‘Bit of craziness ‘ ‘Dogs of war’ we were fed during off season but was non existent on Sat night

Hopefully they show line speed and aggression v Roosters in a few days time

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was just showing that after 1 loss it doesn't mean our season is over. We need to improve big time to have a chance but we have the talent to make the 8. Fitness and cohesion will improve by the game.
Na I know Bro I’m not completely disagreeing with you, I’m just over finding excuses or sympathsiizng for the bulldogs who off season said no more excuses bulldog DNA is back with the dogs of war mentality. I literally want ***** throwing their fkn bodies at other bodies. They’re getting paid quadruple of what the 80’s boys were getting paid yet doing a quarter of the hardness work, I mean until I see someone break their fkn leg and keep going till the bone is completely out I won’t be satisfied (obviously that’s an exaggeration hahahahaha) but you get what I mean

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Na I know Bro I’m not completely disagreeing with you, I’m just over finding excuses or sympathsiizng for the bulldogs who off season said no more excuses bulldog DNA is back with the dogs of war mentality. I literally want ***** throwing their fkn bodies at other bodies. They’re getting paid quadruple of what the 80’s boys were getting paid yet doing a quarter of the hardness work, I mean until I see someone break their fkn leg and keep going till the bone is completely out I won’t be satisfied (obviously that’s an exaggeration hahahahaha) but you get what I mean
There is much talent in the club if you include the senior teams. sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and throw the ball to some of the new boys not rely on those that still have desball stamped on their heads. I don't subscribe to the theory that because we lost the lower games there is no one there worthy of being elevated to first grade. Better to blood them now then wait til the middle of the season when the vultures will be out signing them under our noses to our future loss. We have lost a lot of good players over the past few years to other clubs because we were sticking to the same team week after week and not giving the young ones any opportunities at this club

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is much talent in the club if you include the senior teams. sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and throw the ball to some of the new boys not rely on those that still have desball stamped on their heads. I don't subscribe to the theory that because we lost the lower games there is no one there worthy of being elevated to first grade. Better to blood them now then wait til the middle of the season when the vultures will be out signing them under our noses to our future loss. We have lost a lot of good players over the past few years to other clubs because we were sticking to the same team week after week and not giving the young ones any opportunities at this club
Agree. Taulau is a perfect example in my opinion. Every time he got the Janice last year he smashed it.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How many teams got smashed in their 1st game then won a premiership?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
From memory we lost 5 games out of the first 10 rounds in 2012 but still got to the grand final. It's a long season and anything can happen. There were some good signs in the first game.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly anyone that thinks we have the squad to win the premiership this season is delusional. Not saying the season is a write-off, there is heaps we can achieve this season but after years of des, our squad is just not good enough to go all the way. Going to take a few years to rebuild and get to a point we have a squad that can actually take out the title.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Honestly anyone that thinks we have the squad to win the premiership this season is delusional. Not saying the season is a write-off, there is heaps we can achieve this season but after years of des, our squad is just not good enough to go all the way. Going to take a few years to rebuild and get to a point we have a squad that can actually take out the title.
We have Foran, that's a huge improvement from mbye.. We also have dally m prop of the year. I think it's reasonable to expect a top 4 finish

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We have Foran, that's a huge improvement from mbye.. We also have dally m prop of the year. I think it's reasonable to expect a top 4 finish
Oh yeah i agree about foran, the difference between foran and mybe in the halves borders on ridiculous lol. I am a big woodsy fan but honestly he doesn't bring that much more than graham did (it's a fairly even swap but woodsy is younger so has far more 'good' years left in him). When you go through the rest of the squad, it's just not strong enough to win a comp. It's going to take time to fully rebuild, that doesn't mean we can't be competitive and play some good footy in the meantime but winning a comp or top 4, i just don't see it.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how we expect to win the premiership in this year. A finals finish and a strong improvement should be great already as we are currently rebuilding, it's entirely possible that if the entire team clicks and plays out of their skin that we give it a shake up but compared to established teams that have a stronger foundation we shouldn't be expecting to get there as fast, this new structure and so forth has literally just been for this off season. Good things take time and it looked promising on Saturday.

Obviously a lot of work to be done but atleast we aren't stuck with desball yet again

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How many teams got smashed in their 1st game then won a premiership?
We didn't get smashed. Twice we should've scored but didn't and then the next set Melbourne scored. Some very small things went our way and we could've been in it until the end.

1. In 2015 Cowboys lost 28-4 at home in round 1, lost their first 3 games and won the comp.
2. In 2013 Roosters lost by the exact same margin we did in round 1 and went on to win the comp.
3. In 2011 Melbourne beat Manly in round 1 and Manly went on to win the comp.
4. In 2006 Brisbane lost by 32 points in round 1 and went on to win the comp.

Happy?

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You use one very interesting word considering the tone of all your recent posts which is “Reasonable”. New team, new structures, players in new positions and a whole new attitude dont you believe it would be “reasonable” to give this team time to gel?

League is the hardest game to prepare for you almost can’t because of the physical nature of the game... soccer, basketball,afl you can simulate constantly because of the limited physical nature of those sports, you can not simulate league games because of the risk of injuries...

Melbourne played a FULL on testimonial match, a world club challenge, and have had almost no change from that GF winning team... in fact I can not remember the last time they lost, they are match fit and on a run, no team in the NRL would of been any
closer than us we could of won that game..

Our defence was great as a unit the match fitness and defensive cohesiveness of individuals wasn’t there that comes with more games under the belt and time spent playing with the group anyone who has played league will understand that. Our attack looked close to outstanding timing and positioning was not there and we still managed to put three tries on the NRL’s best defensive/best side and should of scored more make no mistake the NRL is on notice the dogs are coming...

Mbye will the number 1 fullback by the end of the year, Foran looked like he has always been a bulldog, Lichaa just keeps improving will more than likely be in running for NSW hooker, Morris boys are playing for contracts and looked great, our forwards are great pay just needs to work out the right rotations to get the best out of all even JMK looks like a live wire hate to say it but he has a JT feel to him, starting the same way JT did with us as well..

My only concerns are Hoppa looked either not match fit or possibly disinterested and Adam Elliot and Matt Frawley again showed nothing to warrant there continual selection Tualau, Ogden are better options for Elliot and JMK/Lewis/Cleeland are better than Frawley at this stage... with Foran running show having a JMK wildcard can make all the difference hoppa needs more time before changing him but Tom Carr is breathing down his neck as is John olive, this is a premiership team mark my words after round 12 you will know wether my words are true or false

Status
Not open for further replies.