News Don't expect Foran to be Canterbury's saviour: Pay

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else here is close to Foran, but I can tell you that Foran has spent the last few weeks heaping shit on Pay and telling people around him how awful a coach Pay is.

This coming from a guy that has taken millions from the club while providing a very sub par level of service amongst the countless injuries he's had.

I don't know the guy personally, but based on the crap I've sat through the for the past three seasons, he's bang on the money about pay

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The return of Kieran Foran will fix a lot of woes but coach Dean Pay doesn't want the Test five-eighth viewed as Canterbury's saviour.

Foran had been completing all training sessions as he makes his way back from a shoulder reconstruction following New Zealand's win over Great Britain last November.
But he had a minor setback with a hamstring twinge and then last week his surgeons told him it was too early for a return to the NRL.

Pay is hoping his star five-eighth gets positive news and returns this week.

"He's been doing a lot of work so hopefully he should be right for next week," the coach said after having to endure his side lose 32-6 to the Sea Eagles on Sunday at Central Coast Stadium.
We need to be better next week. We need to find more patience in getting through our sets because we're not generating any pressure at all," Pay said, after surveying the disappointing stats of 43 per cent possession, 41 missed tackles and just one line break.

But he doesn't want Foran to be hailed as the sole key to turning around the Bulldogs' fortunes. He expects the whole team to lift.

"We all need to do a better job than what we're doing - everyone who is involved when we get some good ball," Pay said.

"We seem to be a bit lost, a bit frantic with what we're doing, and that causes errors.

"We'd love to have a little experience out there
He's been doing a lot of work so hopefully he should be right for next week

Dean Pay on Kieran Foran

Pay gets a large chunk of that with Foran's presence.

"It will lift the players. Just that experience he brings is going to help."

Pay openly admitted the new rule changes announced ahead of the NRL's resumption would be welcomed by a team like the Sea Eagles with Tom Trbojevic, Daly Cherry-Evans and Dylan Walker in their attacking spine.

"The rule changes suit those players. They are quality players – they are all Australian players – and they run their team well," he said.

The quicker speed around the ruck dovetails into the football skills of players like Trbojevic.

"It's instinctive isn't it. They [new rules] are designed to see the game played with a bit more instinct and we're getting that," Hasler said.

"I think everyone is getting more football. I'm pretty sure when they do the sums at the end of this round, there's more time with the ball in play.

"That's better for the fan, better for the viewer and better for the broadcaster."
Manly coach Des Hasler knows the scoring potential of those players along with his big and mobile forward pack led by Jake Trbojevic and hooker Danny Levi.

"There's no doubt about it," he said of Tom Trbojevic.

"He's a class player. But he had plenty of good players, plenty of support around him."
Unless Foran has Thurston DNA and he doesn't he won't make this shit team much better, as a doggie supporter you hope to see an improvement after a smashing but that won't happen, were on a downward spiral and rock bottom is approaching fast.
The first 5 to 10 minutes they'll have a adrenaline spurt from Foran being back then it will be back to shit, that's Pay's plan.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know the guy personally, but based on the crap I've sat through the for the past three seasons, he's bang on the money about pay
Maybe Pay isn't the best coach, but if he is willing to go around semi-publicly heaping shit on his coach - it speaks volumes about Foran's character.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely. Funny thing is that if he manages to make it through the next two months unscathed he will probably attract a fair bit of interest...
Well good for him if somebody else signs him. I highly doubt he’ll get a 3 year deal from anybody else. Only our club would offer such a ridiculous deal to a player who struggled to stay injury free.
I also don’t understand who we were competing against for his signature? Surely we could have low balled him on price and a 1 year + 1 in our favour contract? He then would have had to weigh up if the opportunity to be back in Australia and closer to his kids was worth it. No other Sydney metro team was recruiting halves at the time

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only way to get seventeen good players to play like possessed lunatics is to get them to want to.
Its not about me or you, its the whole club that instills the desire to succeed and be the best at that level.
Last years urgency needs to be refocused.

Double C

Waterboy
Reaction score
Foran can take us from zero to the ceiling, brilliant football player just need to keep him on the park.