News Dominic Young in talks with Bulldogs

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Newcastle’s English winger Dominic Young is in talks with the Canterbury Bulldogs as Phil Gould continues his multimillion-dollar buying spree.

News Corp can reveal the 21-year-old winger toured the Bulldogs’ Belmore headquarters on Friday afternoon with Gould and coach Cameron Ciraldo.

Rated among the top half dozen wingers in the game, Young is off contract at the Knights at the end of this season.

He has also had talks with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, who have out their assistant coach and fellow Englishman Sam Burgess on the case.

Ciraldo is pleased with his talent in the Bulldogs’ outside backs but is always looking to strengthen the team. Gould has a huge opinion of the youngster from West Yorkshire.

Young scored 14 tries in 20 games for Newcastle this year.

He also scored nine tries in five games at the World Cup.

News Corp understands Young is keen to move to Sydney but the Knights are fighting desperately hard to sign him on a long-term deal.

They have two other English players arriving next year - Will Pryce and Kai Pearce-Paul who will add plenty of strike power at a club that struggled last year – and probably help their chances of keeping Young.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton, Addo-Carr, Kiraz, Xerri, Alamoti, Skelton ... he would struggle to even make first grade here.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton, Addo-Carr, Kiraz, Xerri, Alamoti, Skelton ... he would struggle to even make first grade here.
He’s a winger and you’ve only listed one other winger. The rest are centres or backrowers. Edit: Forgot Crichton who wants to be a fullback. Don’t think he’s played wing in nrl anyway.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why you say that?
Forgot not forget..

In saying thati wouldnt expect Xerri to be ready come round 1 2024... it will probably take him a year to hit his straps if he does at all.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot not forget..

In saying thati wouldnt expect Xerri to be ready come round 1 2024... it will probably take him a year to hit his straps if he does at all.
He might not be allowed to train with the squad. But he has a long time to prepare. If he really wants it and is focused on his preparation. There is no reason he won’t be ready for round 1, 2024.

That being said I think 2023 will determine how things pan out for 2024.

2024 has a lot of pieces to put together. Only 3 positions are fairly we’ll decided on paper. Other positions will be decided this year.

1. Crichton
5. JAC
6. Burton

Outside backs below currently contracted for 2024. Surely we don’t need to be spending big money on someone like Young. He is a talent, but that money would be better served in a quality Prop or Halfback.

Kiraz
Perham
Xerri
Skelton
Alamoti

Jebbundy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Who’s this Damon Marshall they are talking about in the same news story?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only seen a few highlights of him. Looks a goer. But I still think we need to focus on getting the halves filled out with quality including ensuring that we have capable depth. But the right number of quality players to have is a few too many. If we can afford him and to chase a quality 7 (assuming nobody here already steps up) then why not.

Reaction score
He might not be allowed to train with the squad. But he has a long time to prepare. If he really wants it and is focused on his preparation. There is no reason he won’t be ready for round 1, 2024.

That being said I think 2023 will determine how things pan out for 2024.

2024 has a lot of pieces to put together. Only 3 positions are fairly we’ll decided on paper. Other positions will be decided this year.

1. Crichton
5. JAC
6. Burton

Outside backs below currently contracted for 2024. Surely we don’t need to be spending big money on someone like Young. He is a talent, but that money would be better served in a quality Prop or Halfback.

Kiraz
Perham
Xerri
Skelton
Alamoti
i'm hoping in a couple of years crichton gets pushed out back into the centres by joash papalii, that's if papalii turns out to be the player his feet suggest him to be

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One good game playing outside a pretty solid England backline and now he’s the next great thing! Avarillo can summersault to ground the ball too….

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One good game playing outside a pretty solid England backline and now he’s the next great thing! Avarillo can summersault to ground the ball too….
He had a pretty good year in the nrl last year in an average team.I wouldn't be breaking the bank to get him, But he is 200cms and lightening fast which are 2 attributes you can't coach into a player

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He had a pretty good year in the nrl last year in an average team.I wouldn't be breaking the bank to get him, But he is 200cms and lightening fast which are 2 attributes you can't coach into a player
There is a lot of clubs looking at him. So he wouldn’t be a cheap option. I like him but for the balance of the squad it’s a pass from me. Money needs to be invested into other positions.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is a lot of clubs looking at him. So he wouldn’t be a cheap option. I like him but for the balance of the squad it’s a pass from me. Money needs to be invested into other positions.
What positions half ? None available to sign, Prop? I have a feeling we will be freeing up 800k in our prop budget at the end of the season. Having a big fast winger that regularly makes good metres is important in the modern game . . . Fox is only contracted until 2025 too, so he may need to be replaced too

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Forgot not forget..

I disagree Xerri is a natural talent it might take abit to get his match fitness up but not 12 months.
At 18 staring in the nrl it wont take him long.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I disagree Xerri is a natural talent it might take abit to get his match fitness up but not 12 months.
At 18 staring in the nrl it wont take him long.
He will have a full preseason before 2024. He will have the same match fitness as most by then. The underlying question is, can he play to the level he has previously without the performance enhancers