Opinion Dolphin Watching

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Sean O'Sullivan signing confirmed? Or was that just a rumour?

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tigers supports are blowing a gasket they reckon Hastings has been offered 900k a season to head up to the Dolphins

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Graham, Roberts and Jackson are development players, not top 30.
Thanks captain obvious but right now they don't have enough players without them to make a 17 man team.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thanks captain obvious but right now they don't have enough players without them to make a 17 man team.
I don't think they should be in a predicted/updated team when they won't be playing, I think "?'s" would be much better, but up to you I guess.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how is nrl going to work next year? Instead of the 2 bye rounds does everyone just get a bye or 2 each different week?
For a start, 1 tean will have the bye each, as for any general bye I guess the "brains trust" of the NRL or "lack of brains" will again come up with something stupid.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For a start, 1 tean will have the bye each, as for any general bye I guess the "brains trust" of the NRL or "lack of brains" will again come up with something stupid.
Doesn’t quite add up hey?

The schedule is already massively skewed and there are definitely favourable games to suit better teams. So you bring in a 17th team in a 24 round Comp (assuming there will still be 2 byes a year). There is no way there will be a home and away season (you’ll still vs some teams once while others twice). And you don’t really get any extra revenue under current broadcasting because it’s still only 8 games a week.

Not sure how niff nuffs can see this but the powers that be think “this is a great idea”. You’d either have to bring in an 18th or 20th team and have pools which is not wise as there is already a shortage of quality players. Or you move a team like the titans or warriors to more desirable locations.

I still like the idea of a Sydney group and an outsiders group. Something about vs dragons, tigers, eels, souths twice at semi packed stadiums brings out the best spectacle of our game.

Ps what are the odds dogs don’t do magic round next year :p not that in complaining.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And you don’t really get any extra revenue under current broadcasting because it’s still only 8 games a week
That's not what the increased value of the broadcast rights says, and money talks. The increase was reliant on 1 team being added for 2023. There is a further increase if/when another team is added at some time within the broadcast deal contract term, which ends in 2027. If the NRL determines it is justified.

Always a Bulldog

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think Wayne will be behind the scenes trying to pick up more Warriors players who prefer the idea of Redcliffe over Auckland.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know they're trying to expand the game but geez this just goes to show we're struggling to have a strong competition with 16 clubs let alone adding another one.

Storm and Panthers have dominated in recent years and still are well ahead of rest. Souths at full strength could match them. Rorters aren't as dominant as they were 2 or 3 years ago, when they had a virtual rep squad, as time and injuries catch up with them and the rest are just making up the numbers.

Dolphins have a few big name recruits in Jesse and Kenny Bromwich plus Kaufusi but then we have Nicholls from Souths, Ray Stone, Isaako, Tom Gilbert, JMK, Brenko and Edrick Lee. Some are bench players at best at other clubs while others are NSW Cup level.

This will be Wayne's greatest challenge yet.