Opinion Dolphin Watching

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I know they're trying to expand the game but geez this just goes to show we're struggling to have a strong competition with 16 clubs let alone adding another one.

Storm and Panthers have dominated in recent years and still are well ahead of rest. Souths at full strength could match them. Rorters aren't as dominant as they were 2 or 3 years ago, when they had a virtual rep squad, as time and injuries catch up with them and the rest are just making up the numbers.

Dolphins have a few big name recruits in Jesse and Kenny Bromwich plus Kaufusi but then we have Nicholls from Souths, Ray Stone, Isaako, Tom Gilbert, JMK, Brenko and Edrick Lee. Some are bench players at best at other clubs while others are NSW Cup level.

This will be Wayne's greatest challenge yet.
Gilbert's a decent player. Dolphins have reportedly paid Nicholls 500k a year too (he's not bad bad, but not worth anything near 500k).

1. Isaako
2. E. Lee
3. B. Lee
4. Aitken
5. Jennings
6. ? (Milford?)
7. Katoa (probably not ready, they were linked with O'Sullivan but nothing official)
8. J. Bromwich
9. JMK
10. Nicholls
11. K. Bromwich
12. Kaufusi
13. Gilbert

14. Stone
15. Wallace
16. Collins
17. Lemuelu

On paper this is a pretty ugly line-up, I'm very interested to see how they go.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gilbert's a decent player. Dolphins have reportedly paid Nicholls 500k a year too (he's not bad bad, but not worth anything near 500k).

1. Isaako
2. E. Lee
3. B. Lee
4. Aitken
5. Jennings
6. ? (Milford?)
7. Katoa (probably not ready, they were linked with O'Sullivan but nothing official)
8. J. Bromwich
9. JMK
10. Nicholls
11. K. Bromwich
12. Kaufusi
13. Gilbert

14. Stone
15. Wallace
16. Collins
17. Lemuelu

On paper this is a pretty ugly line-up, I'm very interested to see how they go.
V'landys is doing to Rugby League what he has done in NSW horse racing.

Saturate the sport(s) with more games/races to get more gate takings, more merchandise sold and more turnover on betting, he has a background in wagering. He doesn't care about the overall depth of competition nor the fans, he is only concern is for more $$$$$$$$$$$.

If we see more blow out scores next year with the talent pool further diluted by the introduction of the Dolphins then I fear many fans will turn to other codes to watch where the competitions are far more even.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He doesn't care about the overall depth of competition nor the fans, he is only concern is for moreIf we see more blow out scores next year with the talent pool further diluted by the introduction of the Dolphins then I fear many fans will turn to other codes to watch where the competitions are far more even.
Personally I don’t care if the Dolphins pinch players (existing and pathways) from the Donkeys and Melbourne, who both recruit from SE QLD. Plus stealing a few TPA’s from the Donkeys would be a bonus, it’s about time their huge one city one team advantage was removed.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Young Bostock in the centres looked awesome in the u19s last night. He’s got a good body type, big and tall, but more agile than Campbell Graham. Id say he will lose a bit of that as he grows out.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope this thread is ok?, but I thought that it might be fun/interesting to watch the Dolphins squad take shape for the 2023 season. The team will be updated and positions shuffled as more signings are announced.

So this is what we know so far.

Redcliffe Dolphins 2023 (team list subject to change)
  1. Jamayne Isaako
  2. Edrick Lee
  3. Euan Aitkin
  4. Brenko Lee
  5. Robert Jennings

6. Isaiya Katoa
  7. Mark Nicholls
  8. Jeremy Marshall-King
  9. Jesse Bromwich
  10. Felise Kaufusi
  11. Kenny Bromwich
  12. Tom Gilbert
  13. Ray Stone.
  14. Jarrod Wallace
  15. Valynce Te Whare
  16. Connelly Lemuelu
  17. JJ Collins
  18. Ryan Jackson
  19. .
  20. .
  21. .
  22. .
  23. .
  24. .
  25. .
  26. .
  27. .
  28. .
  29. .
  30. .
Development Players
- Michael Roberts
- Harrison Graham
- Jack Bostock
That squad is absolute rubbish.. even the Tigers are looking at those names and laughing

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know they're trying to expand the game but geez this just goes to show we're struggling to have a strong competition with 16 clubs let alone adding another one.

Storm and Panthers have dominated in recent years and still are well ahead of rest. Souths at full strength could match them. Rorters aren't as dominant as they were 2 or 3 years ago, when they had a virtual rep squad, as time and injuries catch up with them and the rest are just making up the numbers.

Dolphins have a few big name recruits in Jesse and Kenny Bromwich plus Kaufusi but then we have Nicholls from Souths, Ray Stone, Isaako, Tom Gilbert, JMK, Brenko and Edrick Lee. Some are bench players at best at other clubs while others are NSW Cup level.

This will be Wayne's greatest challenge yet.
It's looking less inspiring than I'd have thought at this stage. I won't be surprised if Bennett backs out.

Reaction score
Hopefully Milford next for them
It's looking less inspiring than I'd have thought at this stage. I won't be surprised if Bennett backs out.
Wayne won’t be backing out, he’s on a good contract. 2023 looks slim for them but hopefully in 2024 they can get a big name like Munster

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hopefully Milford next for them

Wayne won’t be backing out, he’s on a good contract. 2023 looks slim for them but hopefully in 2024 they can get a big name like Munster
If they've spent 95% of their salary cap or close to it on this roster they won't be getting a Munster. They can't hold 1.3m in the cap, they have to spend it next year and they're struggling to sign players which means big money and long term contracts for average players. If the NRL wanted the Dolphins to succeed they needed salary cap compensation. Unless they get a Munster and Walsh, if even possible, I don't see them doing much.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If they've spent 95% of their salary cap or close to it on this roster they won't be getting a Munster. They can't hold 1.3m in the cap, they have to spend it next year and they're struggling to sign players which means big money and long term contracts for average players. If the NRL wanted the Dolphins to succeed they needed salary cap compensation. Unless they get a Munster and Walsh, if even possible, I don't see them doing much.
There is no way they've even spent 80% of their salary cap on this roster. Not one player would be on over 600k a season.

Reaction score
BENNETT CONFIRMS KEEN MUNSTER INTEREST

Supercoach Wayne Bennett has confirmed the Dolphins’ keen interest in Melbourne Storm and Origin star Cameron Munster, declaring the incoming NRL team “believe we will” sign the 27-year-old five-eighth for next season.

“He’s part of the long-term view, absolutely he is. If we don’t get him in 2023 which we believe we will, certainly 2024 is on the table for us and hopefully it’s on the table for him” Bennett told SEN radio on Friday.

“We’ve been very deliberate, we just haven’t wasted our money on guys we don’t we don’t think are going to be a good fit for our club.

“We’ve been patient and that’s where it’s at and that’s where it’ll stay. We’ve still got a good amount of money in the salary cap to buy quality players.”

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
More to follow, it's not the end of the Panthers raid yet.
Another good 18 year to follow soon. Not announced yet.
This is what I've been on about, we/our recruiting of younger talent sucks arse. This is where we need the net, Wayne Bennett knows this Penrith and Parra juniors. Panthers dropped Aisaya Katoa out there system so he won't get a crack in Jersey Flegg remaining games at Penrith. In saying that they already have two new origin halves.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
More to follow, it's not the end of the Panthers raid yet.
Another good 18 year to follow soon. Not announced yet.
This is what I've been on about, we/our recruiting of younger talent sucks arse. This is where we need the net, Wayne Bennett knows this Penrith and Parra juniors. Panthers dropped Aisaya Katoa out there system so he won't get a crack in Jersey Flegg remaining games at Penrith. In saying that they already have two new origin halves.
They offered contracts to heaps of Panther juniors and are taking whoever accepts.