Opinion Dolphin Watching

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shaping up as a bit of a retirement home. They really need to land some quality in the prime of their career.

Felise, Bromwich and Nicholls will be all be mediocre signings from 2023. Really can’t see any of them having an impact.
Melbourne storm inagural team had a few players who were either 30 or fast approaching it.. nikau, Marquet, bell, Kearns , Lazarus. They finished 3rd on the table. Key is that they bought really good young halves and prospects that played out of their skins.. with the extra professionalism now, players seem to be able to perform to a higher standard in their 30s than most players could 20+ years ago. I'm not expecting great things because I doubt they'll be able to snap up good enough playmakers but I wouldn't rule them out this early. They might snag ponga or discover another Walsh type player - one who makes an immediate impact.. they need two really good ones at least.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne storm inagural team had a few players who were either 30 or fast approaching it.. nikau, Marquet, bell, Kearns , Lazarus. They finished 3rd on the table. Key is that they bought really good young halves and prospects that played out of their skins.. with the extra professionalism now, players seem to be able to perform to a higher standard in their 30s than most players could 20+ years ago. I'm not expecting great things because I doubt they'll be able to snap up good enough playmakers but I wouldn't rule them out this early. They might snag ponga or discover another Walsh type player - one who makes an immediate impact.. they need two really good ones at least.
I get the feeling Ponga already has one foot out the door from Newy to be a Dolphin in 23

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett is coach, he knows what he’s doing.
Its going to be a hard couple of years for Wayno, they gunna get bulldozed for a while.
If he going to inspire, were going to see it.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1643843135592.jpg Kenneath Bromwich to join his brother at the Dolphins for 2023
#AlwaysADolphin

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Storm losing a few players, this is the first time in a while they've had money to spend.
Brendan Smith, Kaufusi, both Bromwich's leaving, Tui Kamikamika stood down and NAS anti-vaxxing...
They're going to struggle in 2023.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
NRL transfer news: Dolphins sign Storm star Kenny Bromwich, Wayne Bennett fires back at critics (DT 04/02/2022)

Wayne Bennett has hit back at suggestions he is trying to destroy Craig Bellamy’s mighty Melbourne dynasty after the Dolphins landed a third recruitment strike on the Storm.

The most successful NRL club of the past 20 years was buffeted by another impending player departure, with premiership-winning Storm forward Kenny Bromwich inking a three-year, $2 million deal to join the Dolphins from 2023.

The Dolphins’ acquisition of Bromwich comes just a week after his older brother, Storm front-row spearhead Jesse, agreed to terms, while the NRL’s 17th team poached Felise Kaufusi from Melbourne as their inaugural signing.

Bennett and Bellamy butted heads more than a decade ago over Melbourne’s wrestling tactics and the Dolphins’ incessant poaching raids on the NRL powerhouse is sure to reignite tensions with the Storm super coach.

Bellamy has now lost three key premiership-winning Origin and Test stars from his pack, totalling 616 games of NRL experience, but Bennett scoffed at claims he is trying to bring down the Storm.

“I have no comment on what the Storm think,” he said.

“We’re in the market to build a squad to play in the NRL in 2023. Every player off-contract is someone we could be interested in and that’s our thinking.

“The club is irrelevant. We simply need players and it just so happens three of them have come from the one club (Melbourne).”

Bennett also hit out at the view the Redcliffe-based franchise is in danger of becoming the ‘Dad’s Army’ Dolphins for their foundation campaign.

The Dolphins’ four frontline recruits are in their twilight years. Kaufusi will celebrate his 31st birthday in 2023, Souths import Mark Nicholls turned 32 last month, while Jesse and Kenny Bromwich will turn 34 and 32 respectively during the Dolphins’ maiden season.

“You know my mantra ... If I start listening to people who want to criticise me, I will be sitting in the stands with them. They don’t build monuments to critics,” Bennett fired.

“What does age matter?

“How old was Cameron Smith (Storm legend) when he retired? Tom Brady played into his 40s in the NFL.

“I know what our recruits bring and what they have to offer.

“We are pleased with the guys we are buying. I look at their playing ability, not their birth certificates.”

Bennett was rapt with the acquisition of the younger Bromwich, who is one of the most improved forwards in the code, having amassed 192 games for the Storm and 10 Tests for New Zealand since his NRL debut in 2013.

“Kenny will be coming to join his brother and they both have had great success at the Storm,” he said.

“I know what Kenny brings, he has delivered every week for the Storm and he can play a couple of positions on the edge and in the middle.

“He adds to that maturity we need in the forward pack. Kaufusi, Kenny, Jesse and Mark Nicholls are guys who have played a lot of football and they are highly respected in the game.

“Kenny has improved a lot at Melbourne. We now have four topline forwards out of six for our starting side in 2023.”

Storm chief executive Justin Rodski said the Dolphins’ triple attack on Melbourne’s star-studded roster is no surprise.

“Storm players have been targeted by rival clubs for years, this is no different,” he said.

“We never want quality players to leave our club, but we understand the system and how expansion will impact on future planning for all clubs.

“Importantly, we still have Jesse, Felise and Kenny this year, and I know they are as hungry as ever to achieve success for the Melbourne Storm.”

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
CHN looks to be the next Dolphins signing… he’s off contract with the Raiders.

As per Brent Read

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Updated Team:

01. Anthony Milford
02. Jamayne Issako (k)
03. Valynce Te Whare
04. Michael Roberts
05. Jack Bostock
06. Isaiya Katoa
07. Sean O'Sullivan
08. Jesse Bromwich (c)
09. Ray Stone
10. Mark Nicholls
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Tom Gilbert

14. Harrison Graham

Coach: Wayne Bennett

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Updated Team:

01. Anthony Milford
02. Jamayne Issako (k)
03. Valynce Te Whare
04. Michael Roberts
05. Jack Bostock
06. Isaiya Katoa
07. Sean O'Sullivan
08. Jesse Bromwich (c)
09. Ray Stone
10. Mark Nicholls
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Tom Gilbert

14. Harrison Graham

Coach: Wayne Bennett
Cheers mate

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I read Konrad Hurrell has signed with dolphins. Be a good character to have in the group but he might be past his best. Still a machine with the ball

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seen him play this year, not sure about playing NRL Reserve grade more likely till a bit older.

Malla

Reaction score
They're gonna be shit

The most laughable thing is the NRL is allowing Bennett to collude with players and player managers who are still under contract.

Braith Anasta cannot wait to Munster signing with Redcliffe on November 15th to make it seem like he hasn't been negotiating with Bennett all along. It's so fkn obvious