News Dogs to stick with Lewis in halves

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
MARCH 20 2020 - 3:32AM
Dogs to stick with Lewis in halves
  • Scott Bailey
Canterbury coach Dean Pay insists changes aren't needed in the halves despite hooking Lachlan Lewis in their loss to North Queensland.

Lewis was taken from the field after 55 minutes in the 22-16 defeat, as the Bulldogs were error-ridden in attack and struggled in defence in the opening half.

The 23-year-old has been given the all-important No.7 jersey this year, with rookie Brandon Wakeham outside him in the league's least experienced pairing.

With Kieran Foran's season ruined by a shoulder injury, Jack Cogger waits in the wings after being dropped out of the halves late last year.

But Pay said there was no need to change things at playmaker for the Bulldogs after two straight losses to start the year.

"We have (the right pairing)," Pay said.

"But they need to learn how to control a game. And tonight was a real lesson for them in how to control a game and what the team needs.

"We'll address it during the week. He will learn from it and we will have a good look at it and make sure we work hard at it."

Canterbury made 17 errors in Friday night's loss, as they had just 43 per cent of the ball at an empty ANZ Stadium.

Lewis scored the team's opening try and kicked an early 40-20, but it went downhill quickly for the Bulldogs.

"He will learn from it, he will be better for it," Pay said.

"(It was) just the way we were coming up with errors and putting ourselves under pressure all the time.

"He wasn't on his own. There were a number of our players coming up with simple errors."

Australian Associated Press

:(

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I said in another thread it's one step forward and two steps back.

Lewis was struggling and now he will be low on confidence too.

It's really perplexing how Pay think's Lewis is bad enough to be hooked one game but start the next one.

Lewis has been in class for two years now how much has he actually learnt? There's been no improvement.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The definition of insanity, trying the same thing over and over again expecting a different result....

Seems like Haslers mantra has rubbed off onto Pay

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if pay drops Lewis, he will concede that he was wrong about his strategy and his ego will take a hit

if he sticks with Lewis, I just hope he keeps averillo on the bench as a reminder to Lewis that he will be hooked at any stage

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Probs unpopular on here but i feel for lewis, being forced to play this 7 role and be responsible for attack when his skillset is better put to use elsewhere.

Dont understand why Pay is forcing the 7 on him when we have Cogger and Averillo.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I did say we should have a 50 50 record by 10 rounds before making a decision on pay.

But this cements it for me, pay out.

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't like to bag Pay and try to stay neutral, however, I have no clue how he can stick with Lewis in the halves. Kris Keating, who I never rated, did a better job for when he was in the halves. Lewis is by far the worse number 7 that I have seen in a Dogs jersey.

Defence should not be the selection criteria for a 7. First and foremost the 7 must know how to pass a ball, how to organise the team etc. Lewis has an awful passing game. Last year v Manly at Brookvale when the game was on the line we won the scrum and on the first tackles he threw a pass over Okenbur's head that went into touch.

Last night he was terrible.

It beggars belief that Pay intends to stick with Lewis. Dumb idea.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't like to bag Pay and try to stay neutral, however, I have no clue how he can stick with Lewis in the halves. Kris Keating, who I never rated, did a better job for when he was in the halves. Lewis is by far the worse number 7 that I have seen in a Dogs jersey.

Defence should not be the selection criteria for a 7. First and foremost the 7 must know how to pass a ball, how to organise the team etc. Lewis has an awful passing game. Last year v Manly at Brookvale when the game was on the line we won the scrum and on the first tackles he threw a pass over Okenbur's head that went into touch.

Last night he was terrible.

It beggars belief that Pay intends to stick with Lewis. Dumb idea.
Kris Keating at least had a beautiful short kicking game...

A

Alexander the Great

7. Wakeham
6. LL.

Avo in a centre roll for game experience and bleed him in for next year.

If those are the roles I don't mind this to trial with.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
7. Wakeham
6. LL.

Avo in a centre roll for game experience and bleed him in for next year.

If those are the roles I don't mind this to trial with.
I know what you are saying bro but I dont think changing Lewis to a 6 will change much.
He will still get in the way and slow down our attack and throw poor passes.

The sad thing is we actually had ample opportunities to trial our combinations and get them right this year more than any other year.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Is there a more incompetent coach in the game?
In his defence he hasn't got much to work with still. A lot less to work with than late last year with Foran, chn and Okunbor out. We just don't have the cattle as is. Shaping up to be like last year with Foran and maybe chn coming back late in the season, so we will again probably finish the year better than we started it.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Told you super coach wouldn’t drop Lewis next week

I don’t blame Lewis anymore it’s his coach that is to blame

Guaranteed spot throughout summer and putting him up to the media any opportunity is all on Pay

The kid thought he was bulletproof

But the reality is he is lacking in so many areas as a halfback to lead the team

I watched the game again and his decision making and panic pushed passes were schoolboy like

His opening 5 mins was great then back to status low I mean quo.

Pay has got this team balance so out of whacked I could write an essay on it