Dogs to give Barrett $3m cheque book as Penrith allow him to start talks over replacing Pay

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
All these comments on who Barrett would bring with him from Penrith, I am pretty sure if they release him there will be clauses that he can’t touch any Penrith players for a period of time (although contracts nowadays...)

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
All these comments on who Barrett would bring with him from Penrith, I am pretty sure if they release him there will be clauses that he can’t touch any Penrith players for a period of time (although contracts nowadays...)
They usually let them bring some players, and it's not like they will be starters for the Panthers. Just a few juniors, and I'm sure Barrett knows who is who around the league. Now whether he can get Lynn & co to actually get them. That's a different story.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good opportunity for him,if he turns us around hell have the job for life

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be good to have Ennis or Kimmorley as assistants. Get Bupa back next year involved somewhere

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes the assistants will be a bonus in this set-up ,the Mounties assistant this yr isn't up with the rest of the teams

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's a fair point but I doubt you could put such a clause in. Most coaches that leave take players with them. Look at Bennett with ex Broncos players at Souths with Roberts and Sua..

Besides, if we're paying more and offering a player that can't get a run a starting spot, then Penrith can't really stand in their way with the way contracts are broken these days.

I doubt there'd be a mass exodus from Penrith but one or two players (hopefully Burton as half and Crichton as fullback) would be sufficient.

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score
No one on this site is ever happy
Sack pay was the catch cry..barrett built the current manly team nurtured the turbo boys into the top grade
The point is if we r to attract top line players we need to move forward now so managers know who the coach is going to be
As much as I love pay as a player and a bloke I'm not sure he has the answers even with a restricted roster
puzzling selections..
Let barrett have the top job then judge
Barrett did nothing at manly that was tooveys doing. He got them to a grand final and started the careers of Tom and Jake. Barrett spent 3 years complaining about wanting more money spent. That is the last thing we need another coach who want to spend his way out of everything.

I would prefer toovey or griffin over any of the other options out there. We need someone with strength who will pull the players into line and not baby them. Make some tough calls like smith you are not a Centre, Dalin you r not a fullback tolman you are no longer needed

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's a fair point but I doubt you could put such a clause in. Most coaches that leave take players with them. Look at Bennett with ex Broncos players at Souths with Roberts and Sua..

Besides, if we're paying more and offering a player that can't get a run a starting spot, then Penrith can't really stand in their way with the way contracts are broken these days.

I doubt there'd be a mass exodus from Penrith but one or two players (hopefully Burton as half and Crichton as fullback) would be sufficient.
Yeah, cause Dessie bought DCE across when he came and the cripple 4 years later... exciting times ahead.

#donthiretrentfuckingbarrett

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, cause Dessie bought DCE across when he came and the cripple 4 years later... exciting times ahead.

#donthiretrentfuckingbarrett
Des brought She-Rex with him on a huge deal remember? Along with Cleal, Singe and more jobs for Manly mates.

Enough of this Baz on Baz crime!

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Rumours swirling. Untill signed won’t add to them. Some saying Barrett happy at Panthers. So the announcement not being made makes sense untill someone identified actually wants the job. So we will all have to wait and see

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des brought She-Rex with him on a huge deal remember? Along with Cleal, Singe and more jobs for Manly mates.

Enough of this Baz on Baz crime!
DCE was sarcasim, I know exactly who he bought over nobody, except that fucking poof she-rex that made Napa look tough. Cleal fucked our recruitment and they came with Brookvale stench and left it behind. Now we are taking some more filth from Brookvale and Kogarah via Chocolate soldier land and a proven loser of a coach. You can support this rubbish all you like but this is going from a rock slide to an avalanche of a disaster if this is the way the club goes.

#fucktrentbarrett

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
DCE was sarcasim, I know exactly who he bought over nobody, except that fucking poof she-rex that made Napa look tough. Cleal fucked our recruitment and they came with Brookvale stench and left it behind. Now we are taking some more filth from Brookvale and Kogarah via Chocolate soldier land and a proven loser of a coach. You can support this rubbish all you like but this is going from a rock slide to an avalanche of a disaster if this is the way the club goes.

#fucktrentbarrett
I've said every time that he wouldn't be my choice. But I can see merit in hiring him as he's a very smart tactical attacking coach that players around the league respect.

In his second season at Manly they came 6th, were 14-10 and had the 4th best attack in the comp. It's not like he has zero clue at all and he'd be a massive upgrade over Pay.

Having said that, he didn't handle the responsibility, pressure and politics of the job well and you would hope he's learnt from those mistakes.

All I'm trying to do is stay positive as I'm happy Pay is finally gone and I don't think hiring Barrett would be the catastrophe other people think he would be. Even if he isn't my preferred option.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I've said every time that he wouldn't be my choice. But I can see merit in hiring him as he's a very smart tactical attacking coach that players around the league respect.

In his second season at Manly they came 6th, were 14-10 and had the 4th best attack in the comp. It's not like he has zero clue at all and he'd be a massive upgrade over Pay.

Having said that, he didn't handle the responsibility, pressure and politics of the job well and you would hope he's learnt from those mistakes.

All I'm trying to do is stay positive as I'm happy Pay is finally gone and I don't think hiring Barrett would be the catastrophe other people think he would be. Even if he isn't my preferred option.
Anything that happened at Manly will be 10 times worse here with teh current setup and expectations given we have done nothing on the field for ages.

Pluses for Barrett that equipment and facilities will be a lot better than at Manly.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

No issue with you at all mate or your opinion. In my opinion we need two things;

1 .someone with proven coaching success
2. an Alpha male that is not frighten to take on the front office if required and also bring fair but non-negotiable discipline.

I dont believe Voltamor has either.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anything that happened at Manly will be 10 times worse here with teh current setup and expectations given we have done nothing on the field for ages.

Pluses for Barrett that equipment and facilities will be a lot better than at Manly.
He took over quite a mess at Manly as they had the same in fighting going on at the time. I share your doubts as to how he'll handle the pressure but if he's appointed, I'll try and see the positives for now instead of focusing on the negative.

The main positive being we'll finally score points again, will look dangerous in attack and the players will be better coached tactically than simply being told to complete sets and run hard.

Let's be honest though, whoever they appoint we could poke holes in their coaching history or qualifications. They should have acted last year and appointed O'Brien or Holbrook when they had the chance.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No issue with you at all mate or your opinion. In my opinion we need two things;

1 .someone with proven coaching success
2. an Alpha male that is not frighten to take on the front office if required and also bring fair but non-negotiable discipline.

I dont believe Voltamor has either.
Haha. All good Baz. I'm just happy Pay is gone for now. We complained about Pay for two plus years so let me enjoy this moment!

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens if Barrett knocks your offer back? It'll make half the Kennel happy but good luck attracting any coach of significance if that happens.