Dogs to give Barrett $3m cheque book as Penrith allow him to start talks over replacing Pay

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dogs to give Barrett $3m cheque book as Penrith allow him to start talks over replacing Pay

Trent Barrett during his time as Manly coach
Penrith have granted assistant coach Trent Barrett the freedom to speak to Canterbury as Dean Pay’s time at Belmore looks to be coming to an end

Canterbury have won just one game all season and Pay, whose contract expires later this year, has come under increasing scrutiny.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Barrett, whose last full-time coaching role was at Manly, headed to the foot of the mountains to work with Ivan Cleary.

Once at the Panthers, he is credited with transforming their attack.

A number of other coaches have been linked with the Bulldogs job, but speaking on NRL360 on Fox League, The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield said that the Panthers were letting Barrett speak to Canterbury

“Greg Alexander, who works at Fox and is an influential director at Penrith has basically given Barrett permission to talk to them,” Rothfield revealed.

RD 10 TEAM TIPS: Grand finalists scramble to replace SIXTEEN stars

‘I’VE HAD ENOUGH’: NRL’s $2M bunker slammed by experts after horror weekend

DOG DOWN: Young Canterbury player forced into COVID isolation

Barrett’s spell at Manly was not short of controversy, but it was the view of the NRL360 panel that he would have learned from his mistakes.

“He’s running Penrith’s attack,” The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent explained.

“Last year Penrith couldn't score and Barrett’s turned up this year and just reinvigorated their attack.

“I tell you my concern, there’s no doubt he knows his footy but the concern is that when he didn't have the infrastructure around him at manly and I don't know if he’s really going to get it at Canterbury.

Aiden Tolman of the Bulldogs and his team mates look dejected after conceding a try
ROUND 9 WRAP: The famous name Raiders should sign after Hodgson injury

VOSSY’S VERDICT: Slap on the wrist that won’t stop ugly NRL trend from continuing

STILL CLASSY: McGregor’s response to critics who called for his head after Manly win

“The issue won’t be his football coaching. Des (Hasler – current Manly coach) has the ability to coach the minutiae of the playing structure and all that but also handle all the salary cap and all the personalities and tells the CEO how they’re going to do things.

“There’s no doubt that Barrett will have learned from his experience at Manly and then having had the year away.”

Fox League’s chief reporter James Hooper made that point that Barrett, unlike Pay, would have a full salary cap to spend.

“He’s got a $3m chequebook to go into the market, but he has also got factionalism left right and centre,” Hooper said.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeh this concerns me greatly Too.

Surely hook wane Flanagan and even Fitzgibbon would be better choices. Barrett was shit at manly. Easy to credit him for panthers attack. Their line up has plenty of it.

No doubt our idiots keep thinking api went their for Trent!!

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Yeh this concerns me greatly Too.

Surely hook wane Flanagan and even Fitzgibbon would be better choices. Barrett was shit at manly. Easy to credit him for panthers attack. Their line up has plenty of it.

No doubt our idiots keep thinking api went their for Trent!!
I was watching 360. Nearly asleep though. Didn't they say that Baz got them into the finals and developed DCE into an Aussie and QLD halfback?

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
No one on this site is ever happy
Sack pay was the catch cry..barrett built the current manly team nurtured the turbo boys into the top grade
The point is if we r to attract top line players we need to move forward now so managers know who the coach is going to be
As much as I love pay as a player and a bloke I'm not sure he has the answers even with a restricted roster
puzzling selections..
Let barrett have the top job then judge

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can Barrett attract top players? He was able to bring in some decent attacking back rowers to Manly on a tight budget. He was also able to bring Korisau across to Penrith.

Surely there will be some disillusioned Manly players from Desball and some young guns at Penrith who are stuck behind established first graders he can bring across.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi Lynne & Chris, got a great idea can we catch up at the club for a pot of tea? Lets say 4am?

P.S Can you swing by and pick up Halfcast, AlzzBulldog, GotheDoggies and Shrimp on your way??

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Listen... if its a 2 yr contract and he brings Crighton and Burton along then yes, good idea.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Get a top defensive coach as well. Fitzgibbon.

Get the deals done. I'm tired of this mediocrity for half a decade.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m not sure how I feel about this. I’m just preying it doesn’t end up a disaster and that he’s learnt a lot from his time at manly and now penny

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi Lynne & Chris, got a great idea can we catch up at the club for a pot of tea? Lets say 4am?

P.S Can you swing by and pick up Halfcast, AlzzBulldog, GotheDoggies and Shrimp on your way??
You can go out the door with pay lol

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If he is given the job then let him prove himself or fail, everyone may say no do not get him etc, and that’s fine.. problem is it’s completely out of our hands just like wanting pay gone months ago was, is he the man for the job? Probably not..but maybe he can turn things around. but again, better than pay.!!!

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay got used and abused. I dont care what any of you say. You can all get fucked. The poor bastard got absolutely used like a cheap kite. If he gets the sack i will rally with sponsors to walk away.
That’s fine go