Dogs teams strategy 2021 - 2022

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Is Staines a ball playing FB? I haven't seen him play in the lower grades so I have no idea. People are jizzing over his 4 tries on debut but he didn't really have to do anything to score those tries so that doesn't impress me. Penrith don't really have a gun FB so if he is a gun, Penrith will want to keep him.
Also Dylan Edwards was doing great before injury, very much improved. He bulked up also and is the perfect link man Cleary needs to utilise the speedy outside backs. If Panthers wanted to promote stains to FB id take Edwards. Personally though I see Penrith putting Staines outside Crichton over Mansour eventually

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d love a spine of

Averillo (provided he gets a good run there, taught well AND succeeds)
Burton
Foran (on less)
B Smith

I’d be still having a look at one of either:
* Rona / Coates / Koroibete
* Welch / Bromwich / maybe Hetherington

let Elliot go if he wants more than 350

Averillo (Meaney / Hoppa)
DWZ (Smith)
Cotric
Hoppa ( Schoupp / Tass)
Rona ( Koroibete/ Coates )
Burton (Averillo)
Foran ( Biondi-Odi / Wakeham)
Bromwich (Welch)
B Smith
To’Omaga
Jackson
RFM
Thompson

Katoa (JMK)
Napa (Ogden)
Stimson
Sue (Topine)

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, looking at it now that that ct has left us, we are pretty fk’n weak in the back row
stocks.... what’s the goss on the Topine kid we have? Does he have the star quality? Is he the goods?
I hope Stimson can get bloody fit and get to his Storm form! Maybe Barrett will be better for him?

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the cap space to strengthen our team. Good thing is we should have another 3 million freed up next season (doubt we extend Lewis, hoppa, Crichton etc). So we literally have 2 bites of the cherry.

there is 3 train of thoughts. Either pay overs for juniors and kids to get them in. Pay top dollar for rep players and have half a dozen reserve graders in the squad. Or get nrl ready players/role players. Get a few rep quality players (cotric, grant level) and fill the rest with your own juniors.

I honestly think the rest of the remaining cap needs to be spent wisely. Only players we have on the books for 2022 at this stage are Jackson, zelezniak, Thompson, cotric, Stimson, rfm and wakeman. Good news is big money is freed up with Napa, hoppa, and to a lesser extent king and Lewis contracts coming to an end.

it will definitely be a 2 year rebuild. We will have much better squad next year. But I don’t expect consistency and a finals run until 2022 season.
We should be targeting quality young players who are blocked from a starting spot by established stars at their clubs rather than pay megabucks on a couple of players. We should improve significantly by the end of next year and then we won't have to pay overs for new recruits in 2022 and beyond as we will be an attractive club to play for on the rise.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd like to see Averillo given a shot at 5/8th this year. I'd like to see a half who can backup when a break is made though the middle something that Keary, Walker, etc are very good at.... Reynolds and Keating though not very talented playmakers were great at support play...

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if Averillo can kick though. We need at least one half who has a decent boot. That's the only part of Lewis' game that's any good. Foran can only kick short. When we're getting pinned down our own end by good D from our opponents we need someone who can kick long to get back decent field possession otherwise the whole game will just be in our half til our opponents score at least. After retrieving a kick it's often tackle 4 til our forwards start taking hitups and making any ground. If we'd bought Latrell he would have solved all our issues at fullback (he can pass) plus he can kick long in general play and kick goals.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't know if Averillo can kick though. We need at least one half who has a decent boot. That's the only part of Lewis' game that's any good. Foran can only kick short. When we're getting pinned down our own end by good D from our opponents we need someone who can kick long to get back decent field possession otherwise the whole game will just be in our half til our opponents score at least. After retrieving a kick it's often tackle 4 til our forwards start taking hitups and making any ground. If we'd bought Latrell he would have solved all our issues at fullback (he can pass) plus he can kick long in general play and kick goals.
I am talking completely out of my ass but the short term option seems to be Foran + Lewis/Wakeham in the halves, with Averillo to move into 6 when he's ready and partnered with a complementary halfback. I might be looking into it too much I feel if they were blooding Averillo for FB they'd be playing him more on the wing to get him adapted to kick returns, high balls, fitness etc

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd love to see us add Dufty, Johnston/Katoa, Burton, Clark, J Hopoate and Asiata for 2021. If we can't land Burton, persist with Wakeham or as much as it pains me to say Lewis. I think them getting better service from dummy half will only help them.

1 Dufty (450k)
2 DWZ
3 Cotric
4 Hoppa
5 Johnston/Katoa (350k)
6 Burton (500k)
7 Foran
8 Renouf
9 Clark (450k)
10 Thompson
11 Jackson
12 RFM
13 Asiata (300k)

14 Averillo
15 Napa
16 J Hopoate (250k)
17 Stimson/Katoa (if he continues current form and can play that Havilli type role)

Signings total 2.3 mil and appears doable assuming we don't resign Elliott, Cogger, Tolman, Lafai, Holland, Montoya and Foran takes a huge pay cut.

Then with a few more off contract in 2022 puts us in poll position for a Munster like signing.