Dogs teams strategy 2021 - 2022

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting a bit concerned about us not signing a hooker or half for next year. Burton is still in contract with the Panthers til the end of next year so might have to wait til 2022 for him. I hope and expect to see us field teams similar to the ones below in the next couple of years. I just hope we haven't overspent too much already that our cap won't allow these new additions for next year especially. I've taken into consideration length of current contracts.

SHED
Adam Elliott
CHN
Jack Cogger
Aiden Tolman
Kerrod Holland
Marcelo Montoya

SIGN (in priority)
1 Daryl Clarke
2 Jackson Hastings - we need a new dominant half but with more skills than Lewis (IF he'll work with Barrett)
3 George Burgess (or similar big body metre eater)
4 Albert Hopoate (minimum wage after 2 x ACLs)
Would love to get Tom Starling too as a back up hooker

RE-SIGN
Kieran Foran (400K)
RFM
Brandon Wakeham

TEAM
1 Jake Averillo / Nick Meaney / Albert Hopoate
2 DWZ
3 Nick Cotric
4 Will Hopoate
5 Reimis Smith
6 Kieran Foran
7 Jackson Hastings
8 Dylan Napa (we need at least 1 big body forward in defense)
9 Daryl Clarke
10 George Burgess
11 RFM
12 Josh Jackson
13 Luke Thompson

14 Renouf Toomaga
15 Jessie Sue
16 Joe Stimson
17 Tom Starling / Meaney / A.Hopoate / Wakeham

SHED
Dean Britt
Christian Chrichton
Sione Katoa
Lachlan Lewis
JMK
Dylan Napa
Will Hopoate - just too slow unfortunately - can't make a linebreak. We need faster backs.

SIGN (in priority)
Matt Burton
Addin Fonua-Blake (voted No 1 prop in recent players poll)
Sitili Tupouniua (great replacement for CHN)
Oliver Gildart OR Dylan Walker

RE-SIGN
Nick Meaney (close to minimum)
Ofahiki Ogden (minimum wage)
Jayden Okonbur (close to minimum wage)
Reimis Smith (250 - 300K tops)
Renouf Toomaga
Jake Averillo
Kieran Foran (400K) only if still uninjured by then

TEAM
1 Jake Averillo / Nick Meaney / Albert Hopoate
2 DWZ
3 Nick Cotric
4 Oliver Gildart / Dylan Walker
5 Reimis Smith
6 Matt Burton / Kieran Foran
7 Jackson Hastings
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 Daryl Clarke
10 George Burgess
11 Sitili Tupouniua
12 Josh Jackson
13 Luke Thompson

14 Renouf Toomaga
15 RFM
16 Joe Stimson
17 Tom Starling / Meaney / A.Hopoate / Wakeham

What do you think ?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we keep Elliott.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can we even start signing players yet?

If we legally can't, relax a bit.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s only one thing for certain and that’s Jackson Hastings will never be at the Dogs while Tbaz is in charge.
Yes I'm worried about that too. Hope Barrett can do a good crawl job. Hastings is definitely the best option for next year as a half.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if we don't get the hooker/half we need until 2022.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped reading at shed Lewis. If we let him go who the fuck will I bag in every post? At least keep one plodder that I can blame when we lose

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
There’s only one thing for certain and that’s Jackson Hastings will never be at the Dogs while Tbaz is in charge.
Yep someone commented on his Instagram recently saying "I can't wait to watch you run around for Wigan, hope you can be as good for us as the great Trent Barrett was years ago". Jackson bluntly replied "we don't talk about Trent around here mate".

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have the cap space to strengthen our team. Good thing is we should have another 3 million freed up next season (doubt we extend Lewis, hoppa, Crichton etc). So we literally have 2 bites of the cherry.

there is 3 train of thoughts. Either pay overs for juniors and kids to get them in. Pay top dollar for rep players and have half a dozen reserve graders in the squad. Or get nrl ready players/role players. Get a few rep quality players (cotric, grant level) and fill the rest with your own juniors.

I honestly think the rest of the remaining cap needs to be spent wisely. Only players we have on the books for 2022 at this stage are Jackson, zelezniak, Thompson, cotric, Stimson, rfm and wakeman. Good news is big money is freed up with Napa, hoppa, and to a lesser extent king and Lewis contracts coming to an end.

it will definitely be a 2 year rebuild. We will have much better squad next year. But I don’t expect consistency and a finals run until 2022 season.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Spine I want
1. Staines
6. Averillo
7. Burton
9. McInness
I do have my doubts on the halves though as both are left edge fiends

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rfm and wakeham have resigned already and Napa is shit dosent even deserve a bench spot

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the cap space to strengthen our team. Good thing is we should have another 3 million freed up next season (doubt we extend Lewis, hoppa, Crichton etc). So we literally have 2 bites of the cherry.

there is 3 train of thoughts. Either pay overs for juniors and kids to get them in. Pay top dollar for rep players and have half a dozen reserve graders in the squad. Or get nrl ready players/role players. Get a few rep quality players (cotric, grant level) and fill the rest with your own juniors.

I honestly think the rest of the remaining cap needs to be spent wisely. Only players we have on the books for 2022 at this stage are Jackson, zelezniak, Thompson, cotric, Stimson, rfm and wakeman. Good news is big money is freed up with Napa, hoppa, and to a lesser extent king and Lewis contracts coming to an end.

it will definitely be a 2 year rebuild. We will have much better squad next year. But I don’t expect consistency and a finals run until 2022 season.
Agree 100%. I think next year we will be a fringe 8 side (depending on whether we can get a gun 9 and Burton) and 2022 we should definitely be a top 4 side if we get the recruitment right. I can live with that scenario

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spine I want
1. Staines
6. Averillo
7. Burton
9. McInness
I do have my doubts on the halves though as both are left edge fiends
Is Staines a ball playing FB? I haven't seen him play in the lower grades so I have no idea. People are jizzing over his 4 tries on debut but he didn't really have to do anything to score those tries so that doesn't impress me. Penrith don't really have a gun FB so if he is a gun, Penrith will want to keep him.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent barrett ain’t Jacko Hastings favourite person so he won’t come to play for us

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Is Staines a ball playing FB? I haven't seen him play in the lower grades so I have no idea. People are jizzing over his 4 tries on debut but he didn't really have to do anything to score those tries so that doesn't impress me. Penrith don't really have a gun FB so if he is a gun, Penrith will want to keep him.
I was reserved at first but watched some junior footage and he links with Burton really well. Also the thing that impressed me most in his debut game wasnt any of his tries, it was his assist when he put the burners on and threw that beautiful pass back on the inside.