Official Dogs snare Kikau in major signing coup

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't remember the last time such a major signing came so out of the blue. I rate him but it does strike me as a bit of a weird addition given Gus has gone on record about how important it is to have balance in your cap and invest more in the spine.

Also, put me in the 'strategic leak' camp (if one exists). Wouldn't surprise me at all if the club knowingly leaked the photo just before the Panthers big celebration. I'm sure there's still some bad blood there after the whole Burton thing and Gus as much as he's a smart operator, has an ego the size of king kong. So he'd want this pick up out there asap for any other potential recruits that might be on the fence. That's my theory anyway.
You’re not wrong. If you’re Reed Mahoney then right now you’re calling the bulldogs and asking do you want me to sign in blue or black pen

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the photo is made to look like a dodgy release..but is really a well planned big f.u to the Panthers and maybe a giant carrot to Mahoney
100% agree. 'bulldogs launching an investigation into who leaked the photo...so gus can buy them a carton and give them monday off with full pay'

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what I like about this signing Apart from the signing itself , is that no one knew about it or saw
It coming. It shows that the loose lips that sink ships mentality is finally out of the club.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the millionth time;
Thompson is not on $800k in our Cap
TPJ is not on $750k in our Cap
Jackson is not on $600k in our Cap
Vaughan is not on $450k in our Cap
What is in the Cap is the only thing that matters.

All of the above includes transfer fees (Thompson), relocation costs (Thompson & TPJ), cars (Thompson & Jackson), education allowances (Jackson) and the veteran/Developed Player allowance is applicable to Jackson which effectively increases our Cap by $200k. There are TPA's in place included above which are not included in our Cap either.

Plus we have 11 players off contract in 2023, Vaughan is one of them. So even if we were paying Vaughan $450k (which we aren't) then Kikau is only a $350k net even if he is on $800k which I feel pretty confident in saying is inflated just like the others.

Always a Bulldog
@Cappuccino

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You know what I like about this signing Apart from the signing itself , is that no one knew about it or saw
It coming. It shows that the loose lips that sink ships mentality is finally out of the club.
Don’t know about that lol . I’ve known this since the start of last season , he was always our main target .

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This puts pressure on our 2021 forward pack to perform. That’s a good thing.
The 800k is scary, but in Gus we trust.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few people are blowing up that we are spending big on forwards when we dont have a top line hooker or halfback but if I am a half or a hooker I would be pretty keen to join the dogs in 2023. The one thing that both of those positions need is good go forward and good edge backrowers.

We have that covered

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Like I said, just trust the club. They know shitloads more about our cap situation then you and I.

You're just pissed because you don't like Kikau.

Watch this space because you're going to look very silly, and that's not speculation!
I have concerns over the signing but I'd love for him to prove me wrong. On his day no one can stop him. If he plays like that semi consistently and can play big minutes (usually plays 55-60 with Penrith) then it will work out well. If he turns up with a shitty attitude, is lazy and only here for the money like She-Rex was, then it will be a disaster.

Hopefully he's willing to take his game to the next level with us and gets through this season injury free.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cowboys offered 800k so I wonder what our offer is?

Hopefully it doesn’t affect the Mahoney deal and other potential spine players but looks to be a massive coup in my eyes
Surely it wouldn't affect the Mahoney deal as hooker is a priority

Last edited: