Official Dogs sign Reed Mahoney (4 year deal)

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
View attachment 34219

Interesting to see Ayoub quoted.

Hopefully Means it’s all confirmed ASAP that he’s signed for 23 though like I said doubt eels release him.
Could be just Ayoub talk, but reality is most likely he will stay at the Eels for 22, almost all players these days will see out the last year of their contracts, because the NRL is pushing hard for their system to work. No doubt within a few years they'll change it up. But at the moment they are going to ride the success of Burton and Capewell.

If parra has an awful season in 22, it will start putting pressure on the NRL's system. Need to keep on eye on how many starting players each team has in 22 who are already signed for another club in 23 and see how they go.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 34219

Interesting to see Ayoub quoted.

Hopefully Means it’s all confirmed ASAP that he’s signed for 23 though like I said doubt eels release him.
Sam Ayoub is not only a great player agent, he also has great sense of humour with........"Of course like the rest of the squad there, his ambition is to be winning the comp with Parramatta in 2022". :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Quite a few eels fans over on their forum are pointing out how important it is not to lowball, and to do contract negotiations openly in good faith. This off season is really hurting them and some of them are pointing the finger at contract management. Kinda have to agree with them. If it is true the Eels offered 2/3s of what Tigers offered to Papali'i, no wonder they lost him.
Yeah I do this for a living and lowballing is old school and clearly adversarial.
Isn't the best way to start/continue a relationship.
Working towards vision and mutual benefit is.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice bro..
Currently in PC but weeks away from a move to the Daintree
Oh teally? Epic. My wife and are heading there this weekend. Cape trib actually. What are you planning to do up there? Some botany? Haha

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daily Telegraph By Paul Crawley Parramatta greats blast club in wake of Reed Mahoney’s defection to Bulldogs Two Eels legends have come out swinging over the departure of Reed Mahoney, but perhaps it was the astonished reaction of a modern-day warrior that might prove the most telling of all.

Parramatta legends Ray Price and Mick Cronin have come out swinging over the loss of Reed Mahoney to their old arch rivals, the Bulldogs. Price slammed the club’s current administration, declaring “they haven’t got a clue” and “are pathetic”.

The premiership-winning captain also reckons the people running the club “wouldn’t know a footballer if he picked his nose”.

Cronin’s beef related more to the demise of loyalty in a modern game, where “it seems to be all about the dollar”. It is understood the Eels were blown out of the water by the Bulldogs’ four-year deal worth a reported $2.4 million, compared to the three-year term worth $1.5m that Parramatta put on the table.

Canterbury Chairman John Khoury alongside Phil Gould and Coach Trent Barrett and Player Manager Sam Ayoub met with Mahoney at Canterbury Leagues Club two weeks ago and a deal was put to on the table.

Parramatta chairman Sean McElduff came out this week and said it was “absurd” that the Eels had been criticised for low-balling players during negotiations. But there is just no denying that when push came to shove Canterbury’s new football boss Phil Gould played the Bulldogs’ old rivals off the break to sign the 23-year-old hooker who league legend Cooper Cronk has labelled a future captain.

Mahoney is said to have tossed and turned over the decision on Wednesday night before fronting coach Brad Arthur on Thursday morning. He was apparently upset that the news then broke publicly before Mahoney got the chance to tell his teammates.

There has been speculation that the decision has also somewhat strained Mahoney’s relationship with his coach. But his agent Sam Ayoub was adamant Mahoney would not be seeking a release from the final year of his existing contract. “Of course, like the rest of the squad there, his ambition is to be winning the comp with Parramatta (in 2022),” Ayoub said. But according to Price, the Eels have really dropped the ball by losing Mahoney on the back of Isaiah Papali’i and Maratha Niukore signing with the Wests Tigers and Warriors respectively. “What are they doing?” Price fumed. “He is a quality hooker.

He is a very good player. “But so is Papali’i. “Jesus Christ. “It can’t go on like this. They need players and they are just letting them go.” And Price couldn’t hide that he was also fed up that former players from the Eels’ glory years no longer felt welcome at the club. “There is not much we can do because they just don’t listen to anyone,” he added. “We are the only team that won something and they couldn’t give a s**t about us. “The majority of the people that are having anything to do with the club and the side wouldn’t know a footballer if he picked his nose.

“They haven’t got a clue. They are pathetic.” Cronin, as is his way, did not want to make it personal, but was certainly “disappointed” with the way the game has changed. In his day Cronin was famous for turning down significantly bigger offers from rival clubs to stay loyal to Parramatta, and he reckons many of his former teammates did the same. “Blokes like Ella, Kenny, Price and Sterling would all come into that category,” Cronin said. “They would have all taken unders to stay.

“I am not going to be hypocritical because the club can get rid of you pretty quick. “But it disappoints me from a game perspective that there is not a lot of loyalty. It is just the modern game. “All I am saying is that the game has changed. It seems to be all about the dollar. “That is dead set a good offer and I can’t blame him. “But as I said, it probably shows you to a degree now that it is just about the money.” Cronk was also baffled that the Eels didn’t do more to keep the rising star, labelling it a “huge blow”.

“I reckon Parramatta would be scratching their heads,” Cronk told Fox Sports. “He is courageous, he is tough, always putting his body on the line and they are the type of guys you can really form a good core around.” Cronk also reckons Mahoney shows the character of a future captain: “Take performance out of the equation, I think Reed Mahoney has got a really good temperament, looks like a really good kid and someone you really can help instil a humble, hardworking culture. “So I would have thought Parramatta would have tried to move heaven and earth to keep him.”

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Players treat their careers like any fulltime job. I have met a few rugby players and asked the question “How does it feel to play for a club you didn’t support as kid”. Their response? It’s just a job at end of the day.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i understand where price and cronin are coming from but its a different ball game when they all had actual jobs other than football back then and they played for the love of the game. Being an nrl player is now a fulltime job and much more difficult then it was back then in regards to training, diet and pressure. Regardless of your career 95% of people would jump at the chance to get a higher salary - especially when your main profession will only offer you 10 years of money making opportunity (if your an above average player)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I bet the Parra greats weren't so livid when they signed four of our rep players at once.

They should be upset though.. Parra have prioritised the wrong players. I'm just glad we're benefiting from their mistakes instead of the other way around..

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bet the Parra greats weren't so livid when they signed four of our rep players at once.

They should be upset though.. Parra have prioritised the wrong players. I'm just glad we're benefiting from their mistakes instead of the other way around..
Exactly.. Parra should of focused on retaining Paulo and Mahoney first. Extending RCG or having D. Brown on 500k isn’t the best cap management. Unlucky they couldn’t pay market value for Papalii.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
i understand where price and cronin are coming from but its a different ball game when they all had actual jobs other than football back then and they played for the love of the game. Being an nrl player is now a fulltime job and much more difficult then it was back then in regards to training, diet and pressure. Regardless of your career 95% of people would jump at the chance to get a higher salary - especially when your main profession will only offer you 10 years of money making opportunity (if your an above average player)
Exactly, apparently the Eels offered 3 years at 1.5 mil and it still wasn’t enough. I’m glad we went guns blazing and showed intent for Mahoney.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it is more alarming that their Parra ledgens don't feel welcome at the club and are pretty much ignored. I love seeing our past players, our past greats hanging around making themselves available to players and members alike. I guess that is why we are the family club and Parra is just a shit hole. :grinning: