Official Dogs sign Reed Mahoney (4 year deal)

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can't believe all you so called supporters writing us off before the season even starts. How do you go with supporting your kids through life. Fark me.
realistic expectations depending on where you're. If you do X things you can get/be better.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What's our maximum spend for Mahoney?
$650k is still a bargain imo. $750k?
Miss out on him and Cheese and we're left with Koroisau. If we miss out on all 3 2023 not looking so hot.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we can afford to slightly over pay for one of Mahoney or Smith. It will lock in a long term, key positional spine player and the way our cap is atm with significant amount coming off contract we can reassess next year based on performance.

If we start playing a bit better it will only make us more attractive going forward too.

I think people look at the figures too one-dimensionally. If you chuck in that extra 100-200k for Mahoney, we could save that in a few other positions if he performs + discounts on future signings if we're competitive + players wanting to actually come play with a competitive spine

Lock in the 9 and build the team around him and Burton...

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha parra fans complaining about losing their players to us. Didn’t bother them in 95/96
Nor did it help them.

Jason Smith, Jim Dymock, Dean Pay and Jarrod McCracken all jumped ship to the slimy Eels once they'd won the Premierships with us.

I've said it before and I'll say it again that while the Eels have some quality players in their team, they fall short on attracting enough quality players to be a premiership threat and that will still be the case while Brad Arthur is their coach. He's no doubt a nice bloke but he's definitely no super coach. While he's their coach I'll put the pen through them as a serious premiership contender.

PaulS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Parra fans with no brain memory forgetting about Pay, Dymock, Jason Smith and McCracken...... biggest raid ever . Thank God we have the memories of 1998 ....

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jumping the gun buddy.... Didnt occur maybe the "plan" was in regards to post 2022? Rather the future and beyond considering we have Dufty and Mahoney probably will not come until 2023 unless Parra release him... you are an absolute genius.

LOL at the Averillo prediction...
Anyone saying Averillo starting before Dufty probably need to stop smoking ice.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Parra fans with no brain memory forgetting about Pay, Dymock, Jason Smith and McCracken...... biggest raid ever . Thank God we have the memories of 1998 ....
and yeah the Parrascum losing the 1998 prelim to us from a seemingly unlosable position must be the biggest finals choke in history.

I was fortunate to be at that game and was sitting around halfway on the members side.

I had a direct line behind Halligan's conversion to level the scores and send the game into extra time.

When he nailed that kick, I knew the scum were gone.

One of the main things I remember about the Dogs amazing come back is that it was like the Parrascum weren't even on the field. It was just a blue and white avalanche that couldn't be stopped. We piled on 30 points at the end of regular time and during extra time. The good thing was that back then there was no golden point, so it meant we could score even more points after we already had the scum beaten.

I hope all the Parrascums fans enjoyed watching that game and have fond memories of it, because I sure do.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dufty will be tried first at 1 Burton 6 Averillo 7 and hopefully an actuall hooker at 9, with BBO to be used at 14.
Yep there is no chance Averillo plays fullback next year. He has played buggar all senior footy at fullback so there are obviously some deficiencies because he does look like he has the traits to play there. Maybe he is shit under the high ball ??

I agree with some that I would like to see him have a go there but I just cant see it happening. Not after we have signed Dufty.

As for the halfback spot I genuinely think any of Averillo, Flanagan or Wakeham could start the season there. Am pretty sure Gus is a fan of Wakeham

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Dufty will be tried first at 1 Burton 6 Averillo 7 and hopefully an actuall hooker at 9, with BBO to be used at 14.
Yeah that’s more logical, but there’s people saying Averillo should be 1st choice FB.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep there is no chance Averillo plays fullback next year. He has played buggar all senior footy at fullback so there are obviously some deficiencies because he does look like he has the traits to play there. Maybe he is shit under the high ball ??

I agree with some that I would like to see him have a go there but I just cant see it happening. Not after we have signed Dufty.

As for the halfback spot I genuinely think any of Averillo, Flanagan or Wakeham could start the season there. Am pretty sure Gus is a fan of Wakeham
Averillo deserves it over the other spastics at half.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Having a good read through everything… Who knows what to believe anymore. I don’t see how The Daily Telegraph can report a certain offer was made to Mahoney which is too good for him to refuse and they believe he will be at the Bulldogs in 2023, yet Phil Gould has stated there has been no formal offer.

Wackos Whispers (Supercoach Late Mail reporter) has reported Reed Mahoney is set to stay at Parra. There is so much speculation around this signing at the moment and whether or not he will be leaving the Eels.

Time will tell I guess.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo deserves it over the other spastics at half.
The one advantage he has is the ability to take on the line. His problem though is that he doesn’t dig into the line enough. All of his ball playing is done well before the line.

Plus his last tackle options are shit.

Hopefully another off season can improve him to something near a first grade quality half

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The one advantage he has is the ability to take on the line. His problem though is that he doesn’t dig into the line enough. All of his ball playing is done well before the line.

Hopefully another off season can improve him to something near a first grade quality half
That’s exactly the issue with Flannagan too. He never engaged the line and wouldn’t put his body on the line. He’d pass well before the defensive players would get near him and Trent Barrett as a ex rep half should have been fixing those issues. Averillo has all the talent in the world and I hope he can take it to the next level.
It’s hard watching kids like Sam Walker, Lachlan Lam, Reece Walsh and Schuster walk into first grade and fit right in like they’ve been playing top grade for seasons.

Last edited:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s exactly the issue with Flannagan too. He’d never engaged the line and wouldn’t put his body on the line. He’d pass well before the defensive players would get near him and Trent Barrett as a ex rep half should have been fixing those issues. Averillo has all the talent in the world and I hope he can take it to the next level.
It’s hard watching kids like Sam Walker, Lachlan Lam, Reece Walsh and Schuster walk into first grade and fit right in like they’ve been playing top grade for seasons.
You’d think a kid being enabled and told he was good would have the confidence to succeed.. maybe the roosters sacking him messed his confidence especially when a young kid takes his spot. I know the Walkers I’m good mates with the youngest and he told
Me about Sam a year ago, he comes off as cocky but I reckon he will turn into a future Australian player. Have you seen that young half ? The Muslim fella ? Don’t know his name but a lot of people in here have spoken about him .. has the long curly hair

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Jake had as many forced drop outs as Reynolds and the third most 40/20s last season. Effective.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m hearing we’ve missed out on Mahoney, niukore leaving freed up a little bit of cash and parra got their offer over the line. Parra will still not be able to keep all off contract players, plenty of cap used up on RCG and Mahoney. Watch this space
I’ve been dubbed by your wrong info before not having it again.