Dogs should pay win bonuses in 2020 instead of recruiting Dugan etc

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's only a handful of clubs better than us now so instead of wasting $$ on hired guns like Dugan etc who just play musical chairs and wouldn't really buy into the Dogs culture or be good for team morale I'd rather see some of our young players given a go after what we've seen late this season. I think a big incentive to start strong next year would be win bonuses for our players. Young fathers like Harper etc would surely be keen to get every extra dollar on offer. I think we could still do this under the cap.

The only exception is now that Lichaa is confirmed as going I'd sign Segeyaro as a bargain basement purchase to share the hooker role with JMK for 2020. Just in that one run last night Segeyaro showed he still has ability to split the defence. He can help train JMK who is terrific in defence (57 tackles a game, 0 misses) and is throwing some good balls. All JMK needs to do is improve his running game which is Segeyaro's best asset and thus offers us something different for cheap.

A lot of people on here keep going on and on about we should only pay big dollars for spine players but the thing is we don't really need new spine players. We just need to improve strike power in a couple of positions.

We don't need another fullback as DWZ is great plus we have decent backup in Meaney and Hopa. Our wingers are fine. Our halves are fine with 4 decent players in Foran, Lewis, Cogger and Wakeham for 2 spots plus there's no great halves available from other clubs anyway.

Elliott tries very hard but I think that's one area we should improve for 2021. Even during last night's game David Fifita proved he's a beast against our good defence. His tackle bust stats for his last few games are amazing at the age of 19. Imagine him running for the Dogs like that for the next 10 years. I now think he should be our number 1 signing priority for 2021. Whatever it takes to get him basically. After that I'd go Latrell Mitchell still (remember he also kicks goals) or Joey Manu because they are young and have big futures. If we can afford a third then Semi Radradra who will be 29 in 2021 for 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It would be good but the NRL and players union won’t allow it

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Happy with harper/holland/monty until we land a gun centre like manu/staggs

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night when Jmk was not returning for the second half I thought here we go. The wheels are going to fall off now. Cohesion would be shot. Our one and only hooker down.
However the team as a whole played to their structures that served them well last few weeks and cogger did enough to maintain the groove.
I just hope we are a team now on the rise albeit limited strike players. I see teams like storm and roosters when they lose a strike player and get replaced by an adequate player who continues to follow a good game plan and get the job done. And almost as well.
I'm very optimistic now that we finished with a win compared to a loss last year that the team will have a positive off season. Believing in themselves. And with a bit of luck the club can convince some very good young players that we have something special brewing here.
This is what I like to see anyway than old journeymen looking for a lucrative pension.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need one or two beast-like forwards. I'd steer clear of Mitchell - I suspect he would come for too much money and just be another prima donna who performs to his ability two or three matches a season while the team carries him. I'd rather put money into a good English player with speed and ability around the halves, and chase some young giants with speed and energy in the forwards.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last night when Jmk was not returning for the second half I thought here we go. The wheels are going to fall off now. Cohesion would be shot. Our one and only hooker down.
However the team as a whole played to their structures that served them well last few weeks and cogger did enough to maintain the groove.
I just hope we are a team now on the rise albeit limited strike players. I see teams like storm and roosters when they lose a strike player and get replaced by an adequate player who continues to follow a good game plan and get the job done. And almost as well.
I'm very optimistic now that we finished with a win compared to a loss last year that the team will have a positive off season. Believing in themselves. And with a bit of luck the club can convince some very good young players that we have something special brewing here.
This is what I like to see anyway than old journeymen looking for a lucrative pension.
That was the same with us years ago - it's what we called the Bulldogs culture. New players automatically adopted the team playing style, and there was little difference when stars were unavailable. No matter who was in the team, it was the same Bulldog outfit on the field. I think this is what Pay is working toward.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Surely we're not recruiting Dugan, sign Morris for 1 year instead if we want a Sharks Centre (otherwise we jeopardise signing 1 of Latrell, Manu or Staggs).

"There's only a handful of clubs better than us now" :grimacing:

Segeyaro or Luke for 1 year.

There isn't spine players off contract.

2 marquee players = Latrell + David Fifita (1m each)
(other options: Radradra, Manu and Staggs)

Harry Grant. We need this boy.

Last edited:

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't think we'd sign Dugan. If we do I'd be so confused. He seems like a walking contradiction to where I THINK and can now see glimpses of the direction the club is heading.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Surely we're not recruiting Dugan, sign Morris for 1 year instead if we want a Sharks Centre (otherwise we jeopardise signing 1 of Latrell, Manu or Staggs).

"There's only a handful of clubs better than us now" :grimacing:

Segeyaro or Luke for 1 year.

There isn't spine players off contract.

2 marquee players = Latrell + David Fifita (1m each)
(other options: Radradra, Manu and Staggs)

Harry Grant. We need this boy.
Latrell and Fifita at $1m a pop is way too cheap.

Gotta throw atleast another 200-300k in overs just to get them for a Belmore site visit

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Latrell and Fifita at $1m a pop is way too cheap.

Gotta throw atleast another 200-300k in overs just to get them for a Belmore site visit
1m is overs, it might not be enough tho. It's very possible Rabbitohs offer Latrell something similar and Eels or another club could push Fifita's price up. You'll get a visit, that's never been the problem, the problem is actually signing them. You can take the piss out of me and what I'm saying, but there is literally no facts you can give for your side of the argument regarding not paying overs. So far I've seen "be patient" and "believe". Good stuff. Also I'm trying to stop harping on about overs, so if you could stop mentioning it that'd be great.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You’re far too easily pleased, Montoya and Holland aren’t good enough for first grade
Read my comment for what it is ,ill elaborate what im saying is id rather us stick with these guys than signing a has been like dugan and waste $$ until we can sign a gun like manu or semi

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Read my comment for what it is ,ill elaborate what im saying is id rather us stick with these guys than signing a has been like dugan and waste $$ until we can sign a gun like manu or semi
I’m not a Dugan fan but he’s a much better footballer than Montoya and Holland, if we can’t recruit an established centre for next season, I guess we hope Morgan can meaure up. Alternatively I’d play CHN,DWZ or Smith in the centres before giving Montoya or Holland a game. They’re lucky to be in the top 30, they shouldn’t be anywhere near the top 17

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not a Dugan fan but he’s a much better footballer than Montoya and Holland, if we can’t recruit an established centre for next season, I guess we hope Morgan can meaure up. Alternatively I’d play CHN,DWZ or Smith in the centres before giving Montoya or Holland a game. They’re lucky to be in the top 30, they shouldn’t be anywhere near the top 17
I agree they are average but not a bad stop gap till we get a gun

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe this rumour about dougan,surely not I would rather persevere with Harper than have someone that injury prone like him,I really feel a good back up hooker,and another strike forward to complement what we already have,and we could be a very good top 8 team,all our young players have shown amazing improvement,we just have to start better and win games that count,

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There's only a handful of clubs better than us now so instead of wasting $$ on hired guns like Dugan etc who just play musical chairs and wouldn't really buy into the Dogs culture or be good for team morale I'd rather see some of our young players given a go after what we've seen late this season. I think a big incentive to start strong next year would be win bonuses for our players. Young fathers like Harper etc would surely be keen to get every extra dollar on offer. I think we could still do this under the cap.

The only exception is now that Lichaa is confirmed as going I'd sign Segeyaro as a bargain basement purchase to share the hooker role with JMK for 2020. Just in that one run last night Segeyaro showed he still has ability to split the defence. He can help train JMK who is terrific in defence (57 tackles a game, 0 misses) and is throwing some good balls. All JMK needs to do is improve his running game which is Segeyaro's best asset and thus offers us something different for cheap.

A lot of people on here keep going on and on about we should only pay big dollars for spine players but the thing is we don't really need new spine players. We just need to improve strike power in a couple of positions.

We don't need another fullback as DWZ is great plus we have decent backup in Meaney and Hopa. Our wingers are fine. Our halves are fine with 4 decent players in Foran, Lewis, Cogger and Wakeham for 2 spots plus there's no great halves available from other clubs anyway.

Elliott tries very hard but I think that's one area we should improve for 2021. Even during last night's game David Fifita proved he's a beast against our good defence. His tackle bust stats for his last few games are amazing at the age of 19. Imagine him running for the Dogs like that for the next 10 years. I now think he should be our number 1 signing priority for 2021. Whatever it takes to get him basically. After that I'd go Latrell Mitchell still (remember he also kicks goals) or Joey Manu because they are young and have big futures. If we can afford a third then Semi Radradra who will be 29 in 2021 for 2-3 years.
Agree with Fifita.we need a gun forward.
Pass on Latrell.too inconsistent for big money.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The true mark of success is consistency. Playing at a high standard week in week out.

Considering our dire our football has been over the past number of years I can understand why people are excited about our form over the last 10+ games. It was a massive improvement and plenty to be positive about. Without a doubt.

However, talk of "only a handful of clubs being better than us" etc. reallly is a bit over the top. We've done much better, however we need to move forward and be careful not to rest on our laurels. It's imperitive for us to really take advantage of our good form and kick on starting with signing some quality players that WANT TO BE HERE!

Our squad isn't good enough. Sorry. We have to invest and bring new players in. No need for wholesale changes but fresh blood brings competition which is what we need.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 'bonus' is playing for the Bulldogs, that's the only incentive any Bulldog player should need.