Dogs pack played me into form: Hopoate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Source

Canterbury star Will Hopoate has attributed his early season NRL success to the grunt of the team's forward pack.

The Bulldogs fullback has been one of the club's best in consecutive wins to start the new season, crossing for tries in both games and showing why he was quick to re-unite with former coach Des Hasler at Belmore.

But the two-time premiership-winning coach isn't the only one who can take the credit.

In form: Will Hopoate has credited the Bulldogs' forward pack for his scintillating form so far this season. Photo: Matt King

Asked how he has turned around his form at the Bulldogs, Hopoate told AAP: "Playing off the back of our forwards has definitely made my job a lot easier.

"It's like any team - if the forwards are doing their job, then it makes it a lot easier for the backs.

"If they don't do their work doing the hard yards in the trenches, then jersey numbers one to seven are powerless. Credit goes to our middle boys."

Since returning to the game from a two-year Mormon mission in 2014, Hopoate struggled to reach the heights at the Eels that landed him his first NSW State of Origin jumper in 2011.

He also won a premiership under Hasler at Manly that year.

However the 23-year-old has shown glimpses of that form over the opening fortnight of the season, and said another factor was his familiarity with his old mentor.

"Understanding the structures and systems here at Canterbury has helped me a lot," he said.

"There's obviously a few tweaks from when I was there [at Manly]. There's a few similarities but a lot of differences as well. The game's a lot more faster and physical than 4-5 years ago.

"I'm just adjusting to the calls and what Dessie wants us to do."

Eels second-rower Tepai Moeroa says he's not surprised Hopoate kicked off 2016 in strong fashion.

"It's hard to come back from mission and just jump straight into NRL footy. He's obviously worked very hard and he's back to how he was playing a few years ago," he said.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
So the Eels had a shit forward pack then Hoppa? Nice one. Stoke those Bulldog Eeel embers.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopoate is a Godsend.. He's got the enthusiasm and skill of a playmaker.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd like for him to stay at Fullback when Brett Morris returns. I think Des may look to move Rona to right centre and put Brett Morris on the wing.

I think that's Rona's natural progression and position anwyay.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm really happy with his form so far and what he is showing at the back, never saw this sorta play at Parra. As he said, he has more faith in our pack to do what he is doing.

I'd like for him to stay at Fullback when Brett Morris returns. I think Des may look to move Rona to right centre and put Brett Morris on the wing.

I think that's Rona's natural progression and position anwyay.
I think as the season goes on and the longer he is at the back he has to stay there, I think Bmoz next to his brother on the wing with Rona next to Stanley or Phillips with Perrett getting his goodbyes would be my ideal backline.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm really happy with his form so far and what he is showing at the back, never saw this sorta play at Parra. As he said, he has more faith in our pack to do what he is doing.

I think as the season goes on and the longer he is at the back he has to stay there, I think Bmoz next to his brother on the wing with Rona next to Stanley or Phillips with Perrett getting his goodbyes would be my ideal backline.
Yep. My choice would be:

Hoppa
BMoz
JMoz
Rona
Phillips

As I see it the only problem in our backline is Josh Reynolds. Not because Josh is still a serial brain snapper, its because he has so many injury problems. When Whare smashed him in the back last week Josh ended up like a broken puppet. He was totally unprepared for the hit and defenceless.

Personally I hope he doesn't play this week; his body will still be recovering.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. My choice would be:

Hoppa
BMoz
JMoz
Rona
Phillips

As I see it the only problem in our backline is Josh Reynolds. Not because Josh is still a serial brain snapper, its because he has so many injury problems. When Whare smashed him in the back last week Josh ended up like a broken puppet. He was totally unprepared for the hit and defenceless.

Personally I hope he doesn't play this week; his body will still be recovering.
Is that the same Josh Reynolds that had a huge part in setting up the last try backing up a nice pass from Josh Jackson i think, with the immense pain he played through so we didnt use anymore interchange players...yeah thats him im sure...

Josh seems to be loved or hated by Doggies fans.....he is a local lad, full of energy and would bleed blue and white yet always manages to attract the haters quickly.
I know he isnt perfect at times but i like him in our team because is isnt a robot.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree dt. But it's whether he belongs in the halves. He is a second rower stuck in a 5/8's body...

But he does seem like a bit of a crafty player, but I don't think he'll go down as a club great... Which mbye might do if he keeps improving the rate he is atm.

Malla

Reaction score
I have always thought the reason why Eels have not been successful over the last decade was because their forwards were shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.