News Dogs of War: The lessons Willie Mason, Andrew Ryan and Bulldogs old guard are passing on.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who’s with me about our performance was the worst from all games? Even tigers would have beaten us this weekend. Unless I see a 80-90% improvement this week then I’m prepared to say we get the spoon or bottom 4 again. There should be a ban on all media regarding the dogs rebuild from now till mid year. No players should be interviewed and if they need to they just need to be honest and say we are shit and walk off

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Who’s with me about our performance was the worst from all games? Even tigers would have beaten us this weekend. Unless I see a 80-90% improvement this week then I’m prepared to say we get the spoon or bottom 4 again. There should be a ban on all media regarding the dogs rebuild from now till mid year. No players should be interviewed and if they need to they just need to be honest and say we are shit and walk off
The NRL would fine our arses off and reduce our Cap.

Always a Bulldog

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should try reading some of the Donkey's and the Dolphin's media in the Courier Mail it's nauseating.

Headlines like
‘My ride or die’: Haas seals winning weekend with romantic beach proposal
Brisbane Broncos star Payne Haas capped off a stellar weekend with a romantic proposal on a Queensland beach to his girlfriend Leilani Mohenoa.

From playing to coaching, Kevin Walters has became Mr Brisbane Broncos.

Wayne Bennett has spoken out about the growing feud between the Dolphins and the Broncos, and believes it could become the NRL’s new greatest rivalry.

Dolphins rock Broncos’ foundations with historic win
Mark it down as the sporting earthquake that not only shook up the NRL but rocked the foundations of cross-town rival the Broncos,

the impish brilliance of new five-eighth Isaiya Katoa, the crafty running of hooker Jeremy Marshall-King, the steady guiding hand ........

That's just in 2 days, it's endless and relentless.

Always a Bulldog
Yeah, fair call. I forgot about the Courier Fail's obsession with the Donks. Used to be 10 pages of crap, don't know if its better or worse now. Although, do the players talk about themselves ad infinitum to the press or is it just all the Peter Badel's up there dribbling crap?

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL would fine our arses off and reduce our Cap.

Always a Bulldog
Yep, they have to speak to them, doesn't mean they have to say anything interesting or original.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like this. There was a bit of crap talked about the Dolphins during the pre-season and they all but went completely off the radar and just got to work.. I wasn't that fussed about the club and players talking it up, but the two games against men have been deflating. Let's hope they back it up before the season is over and the shackles are off.

chuckynemo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
These guys aren't loyal hence no idea why they're here. We need to stop remembering the good old days and build new ones. You can start by spending money on a decent half back or an experienced coach. Not to rooster sell outs

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Out of all the “puff pieces” and “talk before action” stories we hear every fucking year, Max King is the one I can trust the most when talking about trying to replicate our old ways. You can tell he believes it and wants it. Fuck the leadership group, Maxy should be THE captain of our club.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The problem I have with these articles is; barring Max King, I didn't see a lot of flying out of the line whacking people on Saturday. If any of it had rubbed off, maybe 2 or 3 forwards would have shown that intent. We were insipid.

@2144superman the '04 pack was one of the best I've ever seen (and heard). I went to the second semi final against Melbourne in '04. It was a Saturday afternoon and I was on the fence at halfway and they were whacking them so hard you could hear it from the opposite touch line. We belted them into submission, it wasn't even a close game given how dominant our pack was.

I'm all for inspiration from the past, but we need 6 blokes plus at least 3 more running out every week doing that, not just hearing about it at training. I know they need time, but I wish I'd seen more intent. I don't mind trying hard and missing or making mistakes. I just didn't see enough gut busting effort

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
FFS we need to put the dog’s of war rhetoric away, the modern players don’t have the killer win at all costs attitude of the 80s-90s players and never will have, this club and players needs to find the identity that’s going to take us forward in the modern game. Sadly we will never see 80s style football ever again the game won’t allow it. The fact that we Trott out the dogs of war rhetoric before the start of every season and then get fucking pumped all year is embarrassing and makes the club look ridiculous. The time to start all that shit is when Mahoney is holding the cup above his head in September not before (please let me live long enough to see it) rant over.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dogs’ forward pack was the definition of formidable:
Mark O’Meley
Roy Asotasi
Willie Mason
Andrew Ryan
Reni Maitua
Sonny Bill Williams
Nate Myles

WTF Name a better pack to ever play in the NRL. FUCKKKKK we were blessed.
The packs back in the 80’s during our most successful era weren’t too bad either
Tunks
Kelly
Gillespie
Robbo
Langmack
G Hughes
Battese
Folkes
Dunn
Brohman
Johnston
Bugden
Toughest bunch of motherfekkers I’ve ever seen play the game.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The club needs to move on - ex players aren't doing crap and DNA stuff...please.

Hanging on to past glory reeks of desperation when they should be making new memories of it.

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was our best forward the other day. Some will say he was our only forward. Imagine if he was sharing the field with a couple of other capable props. Would free him up a lot more. I think he ran for around 130m and made 30 tackles with an almost perfect effectiveness.

Was one of the finds of the season and hope his fork keeps up and he is in our colours for years to come.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Stop talking, start doing.

I don't remember Ogre ever talking about himself so much like our team does. He just smashed people.

But in 2006, we were stronger and fitter than everyone else, and believe it too. Chalk and cheese to todays team.
Unfortunately, if you smash people as a Dogs forward now, it's an immediate suspension. :P

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Legendary forward packs aren't assembled in a single off season unfortunately. The Ciraldo era has only just begun but patients for some is already wearing thin.
We just don't have the forward pack to whack blokes atm. Hoping for a better showing against Melbourne, couldn't get any worse.