Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Dogs' new-look spine coming together: Hopoate
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Wed 28 Mar 2018, 07:01 AM
Share on social media
Canterbury Bulldogs centre Will Hopoate says he has been highly impressed by how teammate Moses Mbye has slotted into Hopoate's old No.1 jersey, while rookie Jeremy Marshall-King is making all the right moves at five-eighth.

Hopoate returned from World Cup duty with Tonga to the news that new coach Dean Pay was shifting him away from the fullback role he had filled for two seasons but Hopoate says he wasn't at all fazed by the news.

"That's one thing I like about Dean, he's a straight shooter," Hopoate said.

"After the World Cup, he pulled me in his office, said 'it's best for the team, I'd like you to go back to the centres'. It's pretty straightforward and pretty simple.

"That's where I started, I first came to the Bulldogs thinking I was going to play in the centres until Brett Morris got injured and then I got chucked at the back for that time. It's something that's not new and I'm enjoying playing with the edge I've got."

Mbye's form – he has been arguably the team's best player over three rounds and certainly their best in their first win of the year, against Penrith last week – made the transition even smoother.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs fullback Moses Mbye scoring a try.©Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"He's been outstanding, to be honest," Hopoate said.

"Especially last Friday [against Penrith], he killed it, he really got our sets started making breaks off nothing. I can't speak highly enough of him, he's been great.

"From the way he trained in the pre-season personally, I didn't think [it would take time to click]. Running's one of his strengths. Now he doesn't have to organise the team around and think about passing, he can focus solely on running and I think it's showing in the way he plays, the line breaks he's making and the tackle breaks he's making as well."

Hopoate also had plenty of praise for Marshall-King, who was last week promoted from a bench utility role to starting five-eighth with immediate results.

"I thought he was exceptional last week, he didn't try to overplay his hand," Hopoate said.

"I thought he nailed his job with excellence and kept getting his body in front of the big boys trying to run at him and I thought he handled himself really well. If he can do that for us again this week, it will be great.

"Jez has got a lot of skill and he's also very tough. If he can keep putting his body in front of those big back rowers and props running at him, then it's going to be good for our defence and attack.

"Him and Kieran [Foran] is the core, everything runs off the back of that core and if he can control and dominate his edge as he has been doing, that will be better for us as well."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/28/dogs-new-look-spine-coming-together-hopoate/

Do you guys think Hopoate is right about the spine coming together?

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keiran still seems to be playing injured in my eyes. I don’t think we will see his best till rd10 maybe.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
New look side is not going to click straight away, all we can do is building blocks off the positives.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And he’s already better than anyone we’ve had in the last 10 yrs
I wouldn’t say already but obviously has that potential. It was good to see he wanted to run the ball a lot against panthers but his boggling injuries are keeping him from executing.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dogs' new-look spine coming together: Hopoate
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Wed 28 Mar 2018, 07:01 AM
Share on social media
Canterbury Bulldogs centre Will Hopoate says he has been highly impressed by how teammate Moses Mbye has slotted into Hopoate's old No.1 jersey, while rookie Jeremy Marshall-King is making all the right moves at five-eighth.

Hopoate returned from World Cup duty with Tonga to the news that new coach Dean Pay was shifting him away from the fullback role he had filled for two seasons but Hopoate says he wasn't at all fazed by the news.

"That's one thing I like about Dean, he's a straight shooter," Hopoate said.

"After the World Cup, he pulled me in his office, said 'it's best for the team, I'd like you to go back to the centres'. It's pretty straightforward and pretty simple.

"That's where I started, I first came to the Bulldogs thinking I was going to play in the centres until Brett Morris got injured and then I got chucked at the back for that time. It's something that's not new and I'm enjoying playing with the edge I've got."

Mbye's form – he has been arguably the team's best player over three rounds and certainly their best in their first win of the year, against Penrith last week – made the transition even smoother.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs fullback Moses Mbye scoring a try.©Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"He's been outstanding, to be honest," Hopoate said.

"Especially last Friday [against Penrith], he killed it, he really got our sets started making breaks off nothing. I can't speak highly enough of him, he's been great.

"From the way he trained in the pre-season personally, I didn't think [it would take time to click]. Running's one of his strengths. Now he doesn't have to organise the team around and think about passing, he can focus solely on running and I think it's showing in the way he plays, the line breaks he's making and the tackle breaks he's making as well."

Hopoate also had plenty of praise for Marshall-King, who was last week promoted from a bench utility role to starting five-eighth with immediate results.

"I thought he was exceptional last week, he didn't try to overplay his hand," Hopoate said.

"I thought he nailed his job with excellence and kept getting his body in front of the big boys trying to run at him and I thought he handled himself really well. If he can do that for us again this week, it will be great.

"Jez has got a lot of skill and he's also very tough. If he can keep putting his body in front of those big back rowers and props running at him, then it's going to be good for our defence and attack.

"Him and Kieran [Foran] is the core, everything runs off the back of that core and if he can control and dominate his edge as he has been doing, that will be better for us as well."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/28/dogs-new-look-spine-coming-together-hopoate/

Do you guys think Hopoate is right about the spine coming together?
I think it was always going to take a little time. New players, players changed to different positions, and a new coach and game plan. Of course it will take time. And the good news is that we are nowhere near our best yet, and i think we will improve a lot over the coming month.
Plenty of things to look forward to. Especially mbye improving at the back. He has been sensational. And of course foran will also get better as the forwards around him learn how to run off him and once he gains a bit more confidence in his body.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barba, Reynolds, Hodko/Keating, Ennis

Barba, Reynolds, Keating/Hodko, Ennis

Perrett, Reyolds, Hodko, Ennis

Bmoz, Reynolds, Hodko, Lichaa

Hoppa, Reynolds, Mbye, Lichaa

Hoppa, Reynolds, Mbye/Frawley, Lichaa/Mbye

Mbye, Frawley/JMK, Foran, Lichaa

You aint gonna win a premiership chopping and changing your spine every year

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
You know Hoppa is a good finisher. I’m just concerned about his speed and what we require from our centres. Our forwards don’t ball play, offload or make line breaks. A lot of that creativity burden falls on our backline. He would love it at the Storm, Cowboys or Sharks or any other team that rolls down the field easily and create space for their backs.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppas going off a bit early.. good signs last week but the next month will really show how we are going

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually agree with hoppa !! Especially about “Foz an Jez”

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In the last 10 years? Comparing purely to 3 games of Foran?
Well barba for one lol. Let’s come back to this question at the end of the season. Hopefully the answer is ok you’re right he’s been the best in 10 years

Best half we have had I think is what he meant.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mbye and Foran - Yes
JMK - Yes @ 9
Leicha - Yes @ 14 only
We still need a traditional 7 with a long kicking game

Status
Not open for further replies.