Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Dogs in the hunt for CJ MUNDINE

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five NRL clubs in the hunt for CJ Mundine, the son of former rugby league star and boxing world champion Anthony Mundine
Five NRL clubs are circling CJ Mundine with one Sydney team edging closer to landing the son of former Dragons star and boxing champion Anthony.
Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
October 25, 2019 6:37pm

FOXSPORTS0:22
Barry Hall looking NASTY ahead of Paul Gallen fight
Boxing: Former AFL star, Barry Hall, can be seen here preparing for his heavyweight showdown with former NRL player Paul...
Could Payne factor keep Fifita at Red Hill?
Chooks move to ward off poachers from pen
Souths Sydney have emerged as the front runners to poach rising NRL prospect CJ Mundine, the teenage son of former rugby league star and boxing world champion Anthony Mundine.

The Daily Telegraph spotted CJ and his father at Redfern where they met with Rabbitohs officials on Thursday afternoon in a Chalmers Street cafe.

The 18-year-old has spent the last two seasons playing with Mundine’s former side St George Illawarra and starred in this year’s SG Ball competition for the Dragons.

If the Dragons can keep CJ at the club, he is poised to one day play in the same No.6 jumper his dad famously wore in 115 games for the club.

Stream the 2019 Oceania Cup Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Anthony Mundine and CJ’s manager were spotted at Redfern.
Anthony Mundine and CJ’s manager were spotted at Redfern.
But the Red V are facing a battle to retain CJ - who can play either in the outside backs or in the halves.

Besides South Sydney, three other clubs including Canberra, Canterbury and the Gold Coast Titans are pursuing CJ’s signature for season 2020.

Mundine said that while he still harbours a soft spot for the Dragons, the growing interest from rivals is likely to see CJ end up elsewhere.

“I have a soft spot for the Dragons, they’re my junior club. I played Harold Matthews, SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and made my debut in 1993 there. I have a long history with the Dragons and I’d love to see my son perform there but he has to make the right decision for him,” he said.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

More U.S. sport than anywhere else all in one place on any device See more

Mundine the younger is a flashy and confident playmaker. Picture by Bryden Sharp.
Mundine the younger is a flashy and confident playmaker. Picture by Bryden Sharp.
The ‘Mundine’ name won’t be the only thing to stoke a sense of nostalgia in league fans. The former playmaker said his son possess many of the same attributes he did as a footballer.

“I do see similarities, especially when he is playing with a bit of confidence and he has the mojo going. He’s very similar to me. He runs like me, he’s got good vision and he’s got good footwork. He’s explosive,” Mundine said.

Regardless of where CJ ends up, Mundine knows his son’s chance at an NRL debut has as much to do with hard work as it does his natural ability.

“It all depends on what club he goes to and what their system looks like for young fellas coming through...there could be an injury and that opens up the door for a chance at a debut. But he’s going to have to force his hand and play out of his skin,” Mundine said.

Mundine was a star at the Dragons in the 1990s.
Mundine was a star at the Dragons in the 1990s.
“He has the ability, he has to make the right choice and work hard and that’s something I have embedded in him. I’m looking forward to what is in stall for him.”

In April, Mundine announced his return to the football field 19 years after his last game for the Dragons in 2000. In a fairy tale moment for Mundine he played alongside CJ for the Matraville Tigers at Erskineville Oval in July.

“We played against Coogee and he won man of the match that game, he outdid me the lad. “But I had been out for many years. For me it was about playing with my boy and to tick that box,” Mundine said.

As well as helping his son navigate through contract negotiations, Mundine, 44, is stepping back into the ring next month.

Mundine is fighting kickboxing great John Wayne Parr at CBus Super Stadium on the Gold Coast on November 30.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Telecrap regurgitating news from months ago again?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
If there isn't any news, either make shit up or vomit old shit every couple of weeks.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN CJ

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another day... another player that we're in the hunt for.... Journalists just make up shit to reach their quotas...

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dogs in the hunt....for the spoon.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/11/08/rabbitohs-sign-cj-mundine-for-seasons-2020-and-2021/

Rabbitohs Sign CJ Mundine for Seasons 2020 and 2021
Author
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Timestamp
Fri 8 Nov 2019, 08:30 PM
Share on social media
Rabbitohs sign CJ Mundine for Seasons 2020 and 2021 The South Sydney Rabbitohs are excited to announce the signing of young back CJ Mundine to a two-year deal which will see him wear the cardinal and myrtle jersey until at least the end of the 2021 season.

Mundine, 18, is a Dragons junior having played two seasons with St George’s SG Ball outfit in 2018 and 2019, before shifting to Souths Juniors club, the Matraville Tigers, where he played alongside his father, Anthony Mundine in the A-grade competition.

Mundine is a five-eighth or fullback, with the Rabbitohs seeing him as an exciting fullback option with a bright future, according to Rabbitohs General Manager of Football, Shane Richardson. “CJ is an outstanding prospect and we’re delighted to know he will be learning his trade at South Sydney,” Mr Richardson said. “He has shown plenty of promise in the junior representative grades, he had plenty of interest from other NRL clubs for his services, and we couldn’t be happier to see him pick the Rabbitohs as his club of choice for his career development moving forward.

“He comes from a great pedigree with his father and grandfather both being fantastic athletes in Rugby League and Boxing, and he has been brought up with great values in a strong family. “We’re looking forward to seeing him develop in our system initially with our championship-winning under 20s squad and to see him live The Rabbitoh Way.”

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Because we where last year and our roster has not improved infact the man who arguably helped win most of the games we won is out for most of the year already.

Oh and a lot of other team have improved their rosters both below and above us.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Because we where last year and our roster has not improved infact the man who arguably helped win most of the games we won is out for most of the year already.

Oh and a lot of other team have improved their rosters both below and above us.
I think you’re under estimating the team don’t forget we won more games without Foran.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think stimson and Britt will be good additions. We got rid of lichaa. Our roster is stronger than last season but I am talking in degrees versus quantum leaps. I dont believe we make the 8 but we sit 9 to 12 in 2020.

joedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Your blown if you think we have a top 8 side theres about 6 good nrl players in the whole top 30 just face it.

Banned
Reaction score
Your blown if you think we have a top 8 side theres about 6 good nrl players in the whole top 30 just face it.
Truth is that any side can make the top 8 if they consistently play well enough.
Top 4 though is the domain of those that are ran by those with a fucking clue!