Dogs have learnt new tricks: SBW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
From http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/dogs-have-learnt-new-tricks-sbw/2008/02/03/1201973738509.html

The brilliant back-rower is predicting a change of style, writes Glenn Jackson.

Sonny Bill Williams admits his side was more bitzer than Bulldog at times last year. Now, after an off-season without Willie Mason but with far more structure, the brilliant back-rower is confident the Dogs can regain their bite.

Williams conceded there were occasions last season when "we didn't know where we were going", but maintained that coach Steve Folkes had them travelling in the right direction after the turbulent events of late last year, when the club lost halfback Brent Sherwin and Mason in the space of a week, to add to the earlier departure of Mark O'Meley.

"'Folkesy' has taken it upon himself to change a couple of things, and I think all the boys are really excited about it," Williams said. "There's more structure put in place. Losing the big forwards that we've lost, we can't just play the old, 'Chuck them the ball and do the hard yards'. We have to play a bit more smarter this year. We bought [utility] Michael Sullivan and I think he's going to add a lot of spark to our side."

The Bulldogs, and particularly Folkes, were criticised last season for continuing to rely on a forwards-based game, and the coach promised changes for the centenary year after the club missed the finals. But despite the added structures, the instinctive plays that make Williams so dangerous will not be curbed, nor anyone else's.

"It's good having structured play, but at the same time, everyone knows that you can't play play-by-play, set-by-set the whole game," he said. "If it does break down, that's when you let your instincts take over. That's where a lot of the boys come out of their shell, especially these young boys coming through.

"They've got a lot of skill, and a lot of enthusiasm, and if you do stuff up, it's about not worrying about it too much, and getting on with the job. I think a lot of the boys know that there's going to be some stuff-ups this year, but we've just got to push forward."

Without Mason and O'Meley, who have both joined the Sydney Roosters, the pressure will be increased on Williams to come up with more matchwinning plays and performances. That's a heavy load for 22-year-old shoulders, however broad they are. But rather than fearing the added responsibility, Williams, who came face-to-face with his erstwhile teammates at Saturday's NRL Fan Day, is relishing the opportunity.

"The boys know that it is going to be a tough year, but everyone's got to take on more responsibility, especially the boys that have been around for a couple of years," he said. "I don't really look at it as pressure. I just look at it as, 'There's new faces in the side, and we'll go out and do our best'. I'm really confident that the boys can do well this year.

"Everyone knows that Canterbury's the type of club where you're expected to win. It's drilled into you, and you know the club's been successful for a very long time, so you don't want to let anybody down. There's young faces, bringing a lot more enthusiasm to training, and it brings out the best in everyone. The young guys know there are spots up for grabs, and the older fellas push themselves more.

"The thing that we've got to get used to is the new boys doing it week-in, week-out. That's going to be the hardest thing. But I've got confidence in them."

It also helps having Andrew Johns on the coaching staff. And while the former Test and Origin representative has been drafted in by Folkes to work specifically with the Bulldogs' halves, Williams said he was also putting the once-a-week Johns sessions to good use.

"He's so smart," Williams said. "He works on things that you just don't think about. A lot of boys come out and just watch him, to try and get something extra - if I can get a little bit extra, pick Joey's brain and get a little bit to help my game, I'm looking forward to it.

"You hang around someone with that much talent for long periods of time, you're going to get something out of it."
Can't wait to see the team go around. Hopefully we cane Parra first round.

buddman

Serial madman!
Reaction score
Well the trial matches coming up should be a good indication.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

hopefully we are going to be competitive that would be nice.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs, and particularly Folkes, were criticised last season for continuing to rely on a forwards-based game, and the coach promised changes for the centenary year after the club missed the finals.

Did we?

A

A.A.D

great news

sonny is awesome i really rate him
attractive fellow

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
"Hope we cane Parra"

What a legend, LOL. That's the stuff I like to hear coming from players.

bugden

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i love the errors in that report too. supposedly we didnt make the finals last year!

A

A.A.D

to right william
i have friends in jersey flegg who have been telling me on bebo that we are going to go well

W

West Is Da Best

Reni told me they are going to win it for me becase I am the bestest fan from the westest

T

TdoggBulldog

Reni told me they are going to win it for me becase I am the bestest fan from the westest
while were on the what the players said page

the one who likes to grab my ass and i like to grab his in return said your a pest and scare all the players at training

HTH.

K

kennyy

The Bulldogs, and particularly Folkes, were criticised last season for continuing to rely on a forwards-based game, and the coach promised changes for the centenary year after the club missed the finals.

Did we?
yep we wernt there and i didnt sell u a ticket and we didnt sit next to jess and aimee remember? :stroke:

H

Haztrick

Good to know the boys are confident. We've all heard so much about how we are changing out style and all the rest of it, so I hope they transfer all they talk onto the field, which was one of the major things we didn't do in 2007.

Bulldogs_Mania

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this has just made me more excited for t season to start

i hope they do really well

Status
Not open for further replies.