News Dogs enter race for $1m Moses signature as Gus pulls off Sydney raid: Jimmy Brings

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He’s playing for Lebanon against Australia.. relax
He still played horrible. Look disinterested nor had any intention of playing at all during the 80 mins. Awful attitude and he is no where near worth a million dollars.

The Dog House

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
8 tackles and 7 missed tackles from Moses.. But supposedly defence isn't important..
Missed tackles don’t necessarily mean the same thing for all players. He’s not simply throwing an arm out and hoping for the best, he’s having a real hot crack against the best in the world, with harold matts players defending outside him. Moses was by far Lebanons best this world cup and if we could get him, we would improve so much, and if you don’t agree you’re kidding yourself

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Missed tackles don’t necessarily mean the same thing for all players. He’s not simply throwing an arm out and hoping for the best, he’s having a real hot crack against the best in the world, with harold matts players defending outside him. Moses was by far Lebanons best this world cup and if we could get him, we would improve so much, and if you don’t agree you’re kidding yourself
So you're saying he's not a bad defender and this isn't a constant problem for him in the NRL when defending against the best teams? Did you see how much Penrith targeted him with Kikau running at him that opened up massive holes out wide because of Moses' shit defensive reads?

He's a very good attacking player. He's a liability in defence. For $1 million plus, you want a player that doesn't struggle against the best teams in attack and is a liability in defence. But that's just me..

The Dog House

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So you're saying he's not a bad defender and this isn't a constant problem for him in the NRL when defending against the best teams? Did you see how much Penrith targeted him with Kikau running at him that opened up massive holes out wide because of Moses' shit defensive reads?

He's a very good attacking player. He's a liability in defence. For $1 million plus, you want a player that doesn't struggle against the best teams in attack and is a liability in defence. But that's just me..
I’m not saying he’s a great defender, but he’s definitely not a liability. James Maloney, made the most missed tackles in the nrl basically every year, yet every team he played for bar penrith made a grand final. You can afford to have players who’ll miss a couple tackles if their good weighs out the bad

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn't disagree, very good player..couldn't win a game in the finals is that a negative? Small one maybe but anyway he isn't available.
Only way we have a quality 7 for 2024 is to sign him, no other magical solution is going to appear, you would seriously question who might even be able to rise up from our own depth for 2025 as it stands now.
Yeah I think the whole sharks side lacked finals experience. Nico was good against the cowboys. Like I said it’s debatable where all the halves rank. The only definite is there is a big gap after the first 2 you mentioned. I just don’t see Moses as a big game player and it sounds like we’d have to pay north of $1m to get him across.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Honest question. Do we need a top top half?

Yes, of course it'd be easier but we've played finals and succeeded with the Hughes brothers in the halves. And Keating at one point from memory?

If the right player isn't out there then so be it I say. We'll still get back to where we once were
Honestly thinking with the lack of value in the halves market at the moment that is a fair point. Maybe somebody solid who does their job well and helps Burton to develop to the next level in his game might be the go. Helps allow for some flexibility in the salary cap with other areas. Don’t know who that somebody is though.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m not saying he’s a great defender, but he’s definitely not a liability. James Maloney, made the most missed tackles in the nrl basically every year, yet every team he played for bar penrith made a grand final. You can afford to have players who’ll miss a couple tackles if their good weighs out the bad
Jimmy Maloney did miss a bunch but generally put his body in the way more. Same with Noddy. Average defender who missed tonnes but often got in the way enough for someone else to make the tackle.

Moses is nowhere near as tough or physical as those two and to me just gets out of the way more often. Maloney was much more of a winning and composed player in attack than Moses which is why his teams went deep into the finals more often.

Moses is a flashier and more skilled player than Maloney and others, but lacks the composure, decision making and mental and physical toughness that someone like Maloney had.

The Dog House

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jimmy Maloney did miss a bunch but generally put his body in the way more. Same with Noddy. Average defender who missed tonnes but often got in the way enough for someone else to make the tackle.

Moses is nowhere near as tough or physical as those two and to me just gets out of the way more often. Maloney was much more of a winning and composed player in attack than Moses which is why his teams went deep into the finals more often.

Moses is a flashier and more skilled player than Maloney and others, but lacks the composure, decision making and mental and physical toughness that someone like Maloney had.
If you don’t think moses puts his body on the line then you need to take your bulldogs glasses off for a sec and watch him play

And if you want to talk about players not putting their body on the line, what about DCE and Benji Marshall?

DCE cannot make a tackle to save his life, yet was the Australian halfback till now, and QLD winning halfback. Yeah maybe he has better decision making skills than moses, but he’s also quite a bit older and more mature, moses can develop that

Same goes for Marshall, except he was flashy like moses and didn’t really mature till the end of his career, yet is noted by a good amount of people as the best NZ player ever

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Mate go watch the grand final again. Moses regularly threw himself and often first defender on his own against kikau…

Let’s also clarify that he is arguably giving up 20kg+ against the best edge forward in the game with the best halves pairing in the game isolating the defender.

This isn’t a insult on moses. It’s how good kikau and the panthers where.

He also had class and quality out the back and outside kikau to worry about from edwards and guys like Crichton and to’o.

I don’t think Moses was bad defensively in the grand final at all if you watch the game.

He did all he could panthers just stuck to a play that is basic in footy. Isolate the smaller man with a beast like kikau and guys like api and clearly and Luai nail that.

I will however say he has constantly choked in the big big games (they still made the grand final and beat some quality teams to do so and he was a huge part of that) and not really dominated in attack like he has during seasons.

That said he’s arguably top 3 halfback and clearly the best available by a long way.

The trickier part of the questions is if we where a realistic chance (I highly doubt he leaves the eels as they will surely pay him) is he would command 1mil I’d say if not more.

If we could get a Hastings or Williams for 500k would you rather go have a crack at latrell instead of say Crichton? I would.

That said if we aren’t a chance at Crichton and we had that 500k left id then have a sniff at an elite forward like fifita who when you weigh up him and kikau on an edge do you get better value with a Williams or Hastings? That might need another 200k or so but it’s certainly realistic.

I guess it comes down to who is an actual chance. I don’t see Moses leaving eels. I don’t see latrell leaving bunnies. That would mean Hastings/Williams. Maybe Crichton and a gun forward like fifita is our best chance.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanno and Allan’s money. That’s a mil right there.
Thommos 750k that can go on a cheaper solid prop or 2.
Waddell can go we have a few good backrowers coming through. We will have the money for sure.
Look at it the other way around. Moses $1 mill, Burton $750k (there's talk already that he won't accept that offer), Kikau $750k, TPJ, $750K, Mahoney $600k (TPJ's contract is worth more than that in the final year but anyway). You still need a sold fullback. Even if the cap is $10 million it leaves you just over $6 million to fit in another 25 players. I don't think it's as simple as these 2 players are going so there's the money.

I don't see him leaving Parra or going to the tigers, if anything he'll just use other clubs as a bargaining chip to get more from Parra.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No to Moses.. Rajab will be ready in a year.

Would rather play out flanno for a year or Hastings for 2.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would take Moses over Hughes and Hynes in a heartbeat .... and i rate the latter two.
HUghes? storm Hughes? Nahhh probably the most underrrated player in the comp!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you don’t think moses puts his body on the line then you need to take your bulldogs glasses off for a sec and watch him play

And if you want to talk about players not putting their body on the line, what about DCE and Benji Marshall?

DCE cannot make a tackle to save his life, yet was the Australian halfback till now, and QLD winning halfback. Yeah maybe he has better decision making skills than moses, but he’s also quite a bit older and more mature, moses can develop that

Same goes for Marshall, except he was flashy like moses and didn’t really mature till the end of his career, yet is noted by a good amount of people as the best NZ player ever
DCE put his body on the line..

Don't want to go back and forth. It's not an absurd statement to say that Moses is a very poor defender, is targeted by defences constantly and doesn't have his best games against the top teams.

He's a very talented and skilled player who generally has his best games when they blow teams out or player teams lower than them on the ladder.

I don't think he'll leave Parra. I also don't think he's the saviour people make him out to be. If he was, Parrra would have won a comp over the last several years with all of the talent they've had on those teams.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we signed Moses it wouldnt be because we had the biggest cheque, but we do have the best chance of a premiership carrot.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Moses was shocking in defense in the GF. Stats suggest he was fine but he wasn’t. Made horrible reads all night long and its why they scored the majority of their points on that side.