Rumour Dogs coaching structure

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It will come down to the same thing it always has. Mistakes were made, everyone has been there, the real key is how willing are the existing staff to learn from the mistakes.
100% right mate,everyone makes mistakes,it's whether you learn from them or stick ur head in the sand and repeat them over and over again. Having said that I think everyone deserves the chance to redeam themselves.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too top heavy and not enough focus on juniors and development of players from reggies to first grade.
Don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that and not necessarily a reflection on Baz's structure either... with little to no lower grades last few years more emphasis needs to be spent in this area to bring those juniors on.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
JAC is a good signing but if he has an insentive base contract that pays him $200k more of something if he plays fullback.... that's stupid
Why? He will not be likely to play fullback next year anyway. If he does play fullback, he's probably worth 200k more.....but if in doubt, just play him in his best position. I guess it depends ion the particulars of the contract ie is the incentive activated if he plays one game as a fill in? Does he need to play a certain number of games there? Does he need to find a permanent home there? But still, surely we wouldn't let him go?

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
CBF checking if there is another thread on this.

I have been told that Gus is putting an extreme amount of pressure on Baz and his assistants. Gus wants to restructure the way its currently set up - it's not so much the people, it's more the way its structured at the moment. Too top heavy and not enough focus on juniors and development of players from reggies to first grade.

He has also rubbished the recruitment over the last 12 months.

I think its a bad thing for Baz that pretty much all of his recruits except Burton, will be pushed out. Would not be surprised at all if this time next year we will have a whole new coaching staff.
If true , seems strange regarding junior pathways .We know Barry ward was promoted to that role but you would have to give it a few season before you bear the fruits of labor

I think we’ve been forced to blood to many players from reserves , juniors . They’re not ready and it’s visible .

The pandemic doesn’t help development but our main issues right now is not the juniors coming through it’s the NRL roster .

It’s putrid and has been for a while . Yes , BaZ recruitments have been hit and miss and he’ll be under intense pressure next year make no doubt about it but the squad for next year should really improve dramatically .

If we have poor results first 5 rounds and we’re 0-5 , Barrett will be sacked 100%

Malla

Reaction score
If true , seems strange regarding junior pathways .We know Barry ward was promoted to that role but you would have to give it a few season before you bear the fruits of labor

I think we’ve been forced to blood to many players from reserves , juniors . They’re not ready and it’s visible .

The pandemic doesn’t help development but our main issues right now is not the juniors coming through it’s the NRL roster .

It’s putrid and has been for a while . Yes , BaZ recruitments have been hit and miss and he’ll be under intense pressure next year make no doubt about it but the squad for next year should really improve dramatically .

If we have poor results first 5 rounds and we’re 0-5 , Barrett will be sacked 100%
It's not junior pathways as such. It's what we are doing to get 20s and reserve graders ready for first grade footy. Some young guys that have come through out ranks and played first grade are just not up to standard - it's almost as if the skills and fitness coaching they get is completely separate to first grade. I would not know as I am not there to see, but then you think about the people like Steve James who we had on the coaching staff and it makes absolute sense lol

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bummer... Saw the thread title and got a little excited thinking that there had been a major announcement about a change to the coaching structure.. never mind, carry on..:sleepy:

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
It's not junior pathways as such. It's what we are doing to get 20s and reserve graders ready for first grade footy. Some young guys that have come through out ranks and played first grade are just not up to standard - it's almost as if the skills and fitness coaching they get is completely separate to first grade. I would not know as I am not there to see, but then you think about the people like Steve James who we had on the coaching staff and it makes absolute sense lol
Say what you will about our former coaching staff, but you leave legendary skills coach Steve James out of it

If there is one thing commentator's still "praise" us for it's our handling and completion rates, and I'm sure the GOAT himself, Sir Stephen Leslie Keith James, sleeps well at night knowing his legacy is still intact

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Say what you will about our former coaching staff, but you leave legendary skills coach Steve James out of it

If there is one thing commentator's still "praise" us for it's our handling and completion rates, and I'm sure the GOAT himself, Sir Stephen Leslie Keith James, sleeps well at night knowing his legacy is still intact
you will be surprised how basic alot of the training is. All the teams do skill work like what James was doing. Todays paper even stated how basic Bennetts coaching drill are, alot of 3 on 2 work, 4 on 3 etc.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After listening to the Bellamy interview on Monday night he made it pretty clear that the new rules have had a major impact on team performances and he acknowledged he had in his squad the right mix of players to take advantage. He also talked about how little time teams had to adjust to these off season rules.

His answer was in the context of a coaches ability to influence results this season.

Barrett had a bottom 4 squad (if not the worst) before these rule changes - no team came out of it worse than us after these changes were implemented, in terms of skill, power and the ability to play heads up footy - you only have to look at the infringements to see that we just don't have the cattle to compete with the increased speed of the game.

Next season will see us address this in part, however, expectations of making the 8 is ambitious albeit not impossible - considering we are finishing 16th this season, I think a fair target for next year is a top ten finish.

We are still 3-4 players short in key positions before we can expect to compete with the heavy weights - until we can find those players we will a fringe 8 team.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
After having lived through every moment of our last 6 -7 seasons of shit .... I now know what it feels like to be a Manchester United supporter.
The last 6-7-8 years have been so depressing for me.... The heart lays in both camps... :cry:

Not worried though, Normaility will soon be restored and reality will ensue on the shit teams like Parra and Liverpool once again.

Malla

Reaction score

Hahahahahaha what a man!!