News Dogs Chasing Staggs

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SportNRL
NRL 2021: Broncos star Kotoni Staggs hunted by three NRL rivals

Brisbane faces a multimillion-dollar battle to retain Kotoni Staggs - and the club’s on-field performance could hinge on whether he stays loyal.
Peter Badel
2 min read
February 10, 2021 - 6:42PM

The Broncos face a multimillion-dollar battle to retain Kotoni Staggs with the Gold Coast Titans among three NRL rivals targeting the rampaging Brisbane centre.

Just six months after stealing back-row sensation David Fifita from the Broncos, The Courier-Mail understands the Titans are ready to continue their Red Hill raid by making a big-money play for Staggs.

The development comes as Parramatta and the Bulldogs eye off Staggs, who is arguably the NRL’s No.1 centre after terrorising rivals last season with 10 tries from 14 games as Brisbane’s shining light in their wooden-spoon debacle.

Brisbane’s most lethal attacking player is off-contract at season’s end and the Broncos are set to confront a furious bidding war as NRL rivals prepare to pay more than $800,000 a season for the NSW Origin hopeful.

The Titans struck a devastating blow on the Broncos last season by poaching Fifita and Brisbane can ill-afford to lose another marquee talent to their Queensland rivals.

The Knights have also been linked with Staggs, but Newcastle chiefs are prioritising the extension of young gun Bradman Best and would need to offload other players to have the funds to attract the Broncos ace.

Broncos coach Kevin Walters is acutely aware of the looming fiscal fight for Staggs but is backing his cultural standards in the post-Anthony Seibold era to retain the explosive centre.

“I don’t want to lose Kotoni,” Walters said.

“I understand there is interest in him but I see him as a 10-year player for the Broncos and it’s up to me to provide the right environment where he feels comfortable with what he is doing.

“He is a super player and we will fight hard to keep him at the Broncos.”

The Titans have done well to bolster their forward stocks with the signing of Fifita, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui and Herman Ese’ese and the next step is adding some strike to their three-quarter line.

Staggs is in no rush to decide his future given his rehabilitation from a knee reconstruction which will see him miss the opening three months of the 2021 premiership.

The 22-year-old hopes to hit the ground running when he returns to the park and a successful comeback would see his market value nudge the $1 million mark.

There was a time when the Titans were given no hope of poaching the Broncos’ best stars but the seismic defection of Fifita leaves Brisbane forever vulnerable.

Former Broncos skipper Gorden Tallis, now a Titans ambassador, said Brisbane’s on-field performance this season could determine whether Staggs stays loyal.

“Staggs is like a Latrell Mitchell, he will always command interest, so you have to build an organisation to convince him to stay,” he said.

“They have lost a bit of talent at the Broncos, so there is room in the cap for Kotoni.

“I think Kotoni can be a game breaker like Steve Renouf (Broncos centre tryscoring legend).

“Some of the things that Kotoni does is unbelievable. There were some games last season whether he dragged the Broncos into the game single-handedly.

“It’s important the Broncos keep him, but if he doesn’t want to be there, then that’s his decision. You don’t want someone if they aren’t happy at a club

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we are only getting mentioned to bump his price. Staggs is a great player but not that great to deserve near spine money. I’d much rather run with what we have in the backline and put some faith in Schoupp and Alamoti developing into first graders.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a lethal backline. If our halves gel and play to their potential, we make top four easily.

Allan
JAC
Cotric
Staggs
DWZ

Burton
Flanno
Thompson
JMK
Hetherington
Jackson
RFM
Elliot

Averillo
Atoni
Stimson
Waddell
I’ll be pissed if they put that amount of money into the backline but still have JMK at hooker....

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Fucking sign him please lol. Him and b Smith. Hope the other kid we hyping develops and we hold him and our 1-9 could be locked and loaded for years.

Allen
Jac
Staggs
Alamoti
Cotric
Burton
Flanagan
Thompson
B Smith

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I seriously doubt we'd throw that sort of money at Staggs after recruiting Cotric, Addo-Carr and Allen in the backline.

As good as he is when healthy, he's not worth anywhere near 800k. Especially coming off an ACL injury and with the other injuries he's suffered over the years. With the cap space we have for 2022, we'll be linked to every player to drive their price up so get used to these types of articles.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'd pay 800k if we didn't sign cotric.
But I think cotric will be a good buy. Loves busting tackles.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canberra didn't have a salary cap back then so it wasn't a problem for them..
yeah you are probably right. But how good would it be to have a centre like him. Absolute beast..

Reactions: GDR

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favourite player to watch alongside addo carr, this kid is a weapon.
Looking forward to him running over the top of qld in origin for years to come.
Id Be stoked if he landed at belmore he would be worth $800k to me, if your average centre gets $600k an extra $200k for a match winner is a no brainer.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hopoate (short term), Averillo, Schoupp and Alamoti (a couple of years away?). No need to spend ~800k on a centre when we need a hooker and prop beforehand. We've already spent 550k on JAC (good value) and 650k on Cotric.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My favourite player to watch alongside addo carr, this kid is a weapon.
Looking forward to him running over the top of qld in origin for years to come.
Id Be stoked if he landed at belmore he would be worth $800k to me, if your average centre gets $600k an extra $200k for a match winner is a no brainer.
Agree with all of this but you obviously didn’t see the latest SOO NEWS. Katoni once met a bloke that kissed a chick from QLD and he is now eligible to play for his beloved Queensland Maroons.