Dogs chase Broncos teen sensation

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to look at current success while planning for the future. If we get 2 good years from a signing then we should still be happy with this might help us win a premiership. The key is to keep good juniors coming through all the time to replace potential losses.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think we are one top shelf prop short, and we have some good younger potential back rowers already coming up. And the prop should only be after we secure a top No9.
Agree we need to look at a prop. Toomaga, Ogden show promise , but haven’t shown any consistency.Thompson looks like becoming a star and Hetho will add some punch off the bench. I generally like to see is run with 2 props on the bench, a back rower and utility that can cover the spine or back line. Napa I think will be sent packing after this year.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still think we are one top shelf prop short, and we have some good younger potential back rowers already coming up. And the prop should only be after we secure a top No9.
I haven't seen this kid play but if you get a chance to secure a genuine game breaking second rower then forget what you already have on the books and go for it. A $250k roll of the dice is worth the risk IMO as I don't think it would prevent us from still getting a top shelf prop and hooker.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if we don't get this kid I think we are going about building the roster the right way targeting these type of players before they hit NRL.

Of course there is a element of risk that they don't perform in NRL but its better than paying massive overs for the likes of David Fifita.
Yep 100% this is the way to go!

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s a weapon in the juniors, killed it for qld and Australia. Has a bit of sbw about him. Would be a great signing:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I haven't seen this kid play but if you get a chance to secure a genuine game breaking second rower then forget what you already have on the books and go for it. A $250k roll of the dice is worth the risk IMO as I don't think it would prevent us from still getting a top shelf prop and hooker.
I don't disagree Spoony, @250k you would make it fit and take the punt. But, as the kid is a Queenslander and The Broncs have already lost a few top players I don't think they will let him slip. Personally I think we would need to pay 350-450 to get him away and that's a different ballgame altogether.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When ever I see his name it makes me think of Pokemon.

Little bit of a gamble, but if you hear about him everyone is hyping him as a future rep player. Like others have said on a 2 year deal it is not much of a gamble. You just dont want it to be 500k a year. 500-600 over 2 would be a decent pick up. But it not often broncos lose a player they want (unless its for ridiculous money).

Good move by the club that we are in the conversation. Firstly it was Spencer Lienu who we missed out on, now this kid. Very promising for our recruitment and team construction to be looking at these kids.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree Spoony, @250k you would make it fit and take the punt. But, as the kid is a Queenslander and The Broncs have already lost a few top players I don't think they will let him slip. Personally I think we would need to pay 350-450 to get him away and that's a different ballgame altogether.
The Broncos have defiantly lost that aura where they bought and kept whoever they wanted and Tbaz does have a knack for hitting his targets so we are with a big chance I think. I'm a bit more open with the the price and it depends on how much they rate him if they are convinced he is the next big thing I wouldn't have a problem paying more.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be the first Dogs to go home to Brisneyland: Tony Currie and Darren Smith are the first two that come to mind. Gotta focus on quality cattle no matter how long they stay - and they might stay too!
And Ben Hannant

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Very skilful back rower. Looks like he could play almost anywhere. If it's for 2023 (it's actually for 2022, not sure how much this changes) a lot of the second rowers we've pilled up probably won't be here anymore so I'm okay with it. That'll also be Jackson's last year. I'd still like us to find a position for Topine and Doorey, but this kid looks like he'll be a lot better than both of them (by a fair distance). If the Broncos are offering 250k, I'd be expecting something around 350k a year.

Last edited:

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I wouldnt settle on a forward pack until I had big mobile tacklebreaking and ball playing backrowers and big unit upfront capable of 150+ metres a game.

Our backrow options are serviceable and tradesmen-like but not really good at punching holes and mostly a bit light.

Topine
Jackson
Elliot

All are a bit similar and will give their all but are not really going to do much damage without someone else creating momemtum beforehand.
Also are most likely to be hanging on in tackles rather than folding the opposition.

Stimson
Waddel
Britt

Again, serviceable but not really going to do much damage.
The exception is RFM who should have a breakout year with better structure and instructions that include more than run hard tackle hard.

My ideal 2nd rower is someone with a Kenny Bromwich impetus and footy brain in a David Fifita body. However that someone doesnt currently exist

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
another encouraging recruitment target... a young, strike back rower, will not break the bank, a huge upside... I would assume the Broncos will retain him and that this is simply a ploy by his manager for better contractual terms, but still this is the right direction for the club

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Kid is an absolute weapon and we would be very lucky to have him. Future backrow of
11. Pikuara (left edge)
12. Topine
13. Doorey
Yes please
We're going to be stacked in the backrow...possible we just start 5 backrowers if they continue to make rule changes that speed up the game lol.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Kid is an absolute weapon and we would be very lucky to have him. Future backrow of
11. Pikuara (left edge)
12. Topine
13. Doorey
Yes please
you also need hard heads there, they all wont play together for a few years yet. That is what let the broncos team down, talented but all to young.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We're going to be stacked in the backrow...possible we just start 5 backrowers if they continue to make rule changes that speed up the game lol.
Agree lol, that's why I'm happy Doorey is a unit, gives us flexibility. Like you and others have said Jackson will make this difficult after this season.