Dogs 4th or 5 th with Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw in the Bye, which most teams have already had, and dogs would be 4 th. If Titans win we would come down to 5 th.
Not bad for such a poor start to the season.

As long as Graham is playing dogs are capable of anything.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats cool, but I don't really care were we are on the ladder at the moment. Our main focus is winning games and tonight we did that, our position on the ladder will be defined by how many games we win.

Got a tough game next against the Roosters. I hope the boys got some confidence out of tonights win.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We played alot better till the end perret and inus form really worry me

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Thats cool, but I don't really care were we are on the ladder at the moment. Our main focus is winning games and tonight we did that, our position on the ladder will be defined by how many games we win.

Got a tough game next against the Roosters. I hope the boys got some confidence out of tonights win.
It will be tought but remember origin duty, maloney, jennings and pearce wont be playing.. that would also mean reynolds and joshy morris is out for us !

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
We are 6th now so we cant go up more this week. Sharks and raiders will probably win this week. If sharks win by anything they jump us, raiders need to win by about 23 to pass us. Still lots of work to do. I think we finish this week in 7th, or 8th if Raiders win big.

Good though to beat Manly as they are 4th. If they had won we would be 5 from the top 4. Instead we are 1 from the top 4.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My concern at the moment is the defense. Only teams with a worse defense at the moment (mind you not all the teams have played this round) are Warriors, Parra and Tigers. We are letting in over 21ppg this season compared to under 15 from last year. We had the 2nd best defense last year and are ranked 13th this season.

We are winning games (I think its 6 from the last 7) so its not a concern there, but last 2-3 weeks (especially Manly and Dragons) we let teams back in even though we dominated the whole game and almost lost both games.

Is it an attitude thing? Is it we are not structured properly? Is it a personel thing?

Our attack has improved, we look more structured, we are scoring bulldog type tries again (using quick passing through the forwards and finding gaps in the defense with overlaps), is it something that will click later on in the year?

Traditionally teams coached by Des dont fire until after round 16. It is a typical Des type season (Fly under the radar, win some, lose some but always improve week by week, then make a run end of year). I have a lot of belief and confidence in Des's direction, the guy knows what he is doing. He has been to 7 GF, he has won 4. I just hope that he can continue the improvement and come semis we are as ruthless as we were last year.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think our defense was pretty good until the last 15 but even then, Manly found something at home and are a top 4 side. They also had some luck, as did we. I supposed when both teams have so much bad and good luck its bad reffing.

Blowouts vs Newcastle and roosters is why our F/A is crap.

des tried something different tonight which almost backfired. He went hard early and then we faded, when we usually start slow and last all match.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think our defense was pretty good until the last 15 but even then, Manly found something at home and are a top 4 side. They also had some luck, as did we. I supposed when both teams have so much bad and good luck its bad reffing.

Blowouts vs Newcastle and roosters is why our F/A is crap.

des tried something different tonight which almost backfired. He went hard early and then we faded, when we usually start slow and last all match.
Thats true, and when we generally play Manly they are a very physical side to play, I think and it showed in the first half with our boys that we can out muscle them. It's just about keeping that intensity throughout the whole 80. Need more fitness within our forwards. Sam had some devastating runs tonight.

Shootermc

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Guys I think tonight the defensive display was well above average, we only had 39% of possession no one wins with only 39% , especially at Crookvale against a top 4 side. If the possession was any close till even we would of blown them of the park. So bring on the Rorters less the origin stars get out to ANZ next Friday and give Money Bill true home coming

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Just watched Des' presser in the other thread and he made a good point too when you look at the possession stats, they had 42 sets to 26 and they had 10 penalties to 6 (Des said 5 but its 6). We also got tired from all the (intense) defense we did.

Shootermc

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just watched Des' presser in the other thread and he made a good point too when you look at the possession stats, they had 42 sets to 26 and they had 10 penalties to 6 (Des said 5 but its 6). We also got tired from all the (intense) defense we did.
To last 2 penalties you will find were from the last play, and extra 10 too bad we played good tonight, keep playing like that and we are going deep into the finals

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
With the bye this week and Penrith playing Newcastle.

We will be 7th and with some luck if Roosters beat Sharks at home we go as high as 6th!

moronista

Waterboy
Reaction score
With the bye this week and Penrith playing Newcastle.

We will be 7th and with some luck if Roosters beat Sharks at home we go as high as 6th!
Don't forget though that the Titans play Manly, and if they win by 16 (though not likely) they will have the same points but a better for and against and will jump the Dogs.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We've got to win the big games we've got left until the finals. If we can beat Raiders (away), Souths and the Broncos (away) we'll be a good chance of making the top 4.

If we're being serious about fighting for the premiership, the other games we have left should be easy wins.

T

The Doctor

Throw in the Bye, which most teams have already had, and dogs would be 4 th. If Titans win we would come down to 5 th.
Not bad for such a poor start to the season.

As long as Graham is playing dogs are capable of anything.
Could never work out the logic behind this concept - throw in the bye and we would be 4th? Eh? So what your saying is, that when we get the bye no one else plays that weekend? Surely the other teams that play get 2pts if they win, so how do we mysteriously rise and they remain static?

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Could never work out the logic behind this concept - throw in the bye and we would be 4th? Eh? So what your saying is, that when we get the bye no one else plays that weekend? Surely the other teams that play get 2pts if they win, so how do we mysteriously rise and they remain static?
In this instance most teams had already had their bye in previous weeks and benefited from the 2 extra points. We were one of the last teams to get the bye and therefore up until this week our point tally hadn't been influenced like other team's had.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this instance most teams had already had their bye in previous weeks and benefited from the 2 extra points. We were one of the last teams to get the bye and therefore up until this week our point tally hadn't been influenced like other team's had.
It was to do with the fact that the ladder often doesnt truly indicate positions due to some teams having had two byes and some one or none, etc.
It would actually make more sense if teams received no points for a bye. then at any point in the season you can get a true indication of where teams stand with a glance at the ladder. To look at the ladder recently you have to consider bye points and it is overly complicated.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If Souths, Storm and Rooters lose every game from here, are we mathematically in with a chance of the minor premiership? :grinning:

moronista

Waterboy
Reaction score
It was to do with the fact that the ladder often doesnt truly indicate positions due to some teams having had two byes and some one or none, etc.
It would actually make more sense if teams received no points for a bye. then at any point in the season you can get a true indication of where teams stand with a glance at the ladder. To look at the ladder recently you have to consider bye points and it is overly complicated.
well, actually, that's not true either.

if 0 points were given for byes, this would have the Dogs in 5th spot. But that wouldn't be a true indication either, as they have played 1 more game than the other teams, therefore skewing the ladder in their favour. And then, this round, they would be given no opportunity for points, where as the teams around them do have the opportunity to get points - and the Newy/Penny game is a guarantee one of them gets the 2 points (draw not withstanding) and they would be guaranteed to leap frog the Dogs at an absolute minimum.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
If Souths, Storm and Rooters lose every game from here, are we mathematically in with a chance of the minor premiership? :grinning:
Apart from the fact they also play each other, which means they cant all lose every match, i doubt it lol. Never seen a MP with 8 losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.