News Dogs’ face $1m problem: Every club’s biggest selection headache

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nah, fuck both of those. I would support Shane Flanagan now. He is the only genuine premiership winning coach out there and we need that sort of coach. A no Jnr Flange Clause and I am on board.
Gus will control him.
I still don't want Shane Flanagan. Too much baggage. Too much ego. Too dodgy.. He'd clash with Gus and want too much control like Des did and like Flanagan had at Cronulla. He did a good job at Cronulla but that was with a team that cheated the cap repeatedly and I credit Ennis for them winning the comp and turning their club around more than Flanagan.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still don't want Shane Flanagan. Too much baggage. Too much ego. Too dodgy.. He'd clash with Gus and want too much control like Des did and like Flanagan had at Cronulla. He did a good job at Cronulla but that was with a team that cheated the cap repeatedly and I credit Ennis for them winning the comp and turning their club around more than Flanagan.
Ok, so we hire Ennis as assistant and leave Gus to keep Shane on the straight and narrow. He won a comp and I have even heard The Menace say good things about him.

Im done mate, and just want to win again.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree i dont want flannigan
I managed one of the shark players, i wont say who, but they were all told to take the pills, should they have asked yes, but the players trusted the coach and the training staff.
Now i dont know what part flannigan took in this, but as head coach it is his responsibility to over see everything.
so that being the case flannigan is a big no for me

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ok, so we hire Ennis as assistant and leave Gus to keep Shane on the straight and narrow. He won a comp and I have even heard The Menace say good things about him.

We all want to win again but it's no guarantee with Flanagan even if he has the best record. He gives me Des vibes. I don't see it working out well if it did happen.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I managed one of the shark players, i wont say who, but they were all told to take the pills, should they have asked yes, but the players trusted the coach and the training staff.
Now i dont know what part flannigan took in this, but as head coach it is his responsibility to over see everything.
Yeah exactly. He knowingly oversaw a peptide drug cheating program with his team. We can't have anyone like that coaching our club.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I've always wanted Ennis as an assistant. And Graham as a forwards coach. I think bringing those two back to the club would help a great deal.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've always wanted Ennis as an assistant. And Graham as a forwards coach. I think bringing those two back to the club would help a great deal.
James Graham is tied up in the Dragons as a "St.George Illawarra Partnership Executive" whatever the F that role is LOL

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What i dont understand is that we clearly have a problem within the halves and we have a coach who played in the halves heck he even won a Dally M in that position in 2000.

What is the issue, are the players not listening to him? has the game changed so much his experience don't mean much? Is it a confidence issue?
There's definitely something there that we are all missing.
Yep and it’s called coaching.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay was a hard nosed coach and the majority of the kennel couldn't stand him...

Barrett is good looking but is a major softcock and now it's starting to piss the kennel off...

Overall the "kennel" couldn't stand Moore, Hasler, Pay and now Barrett, so which coach is going to make the majority of the prima donnas happy on the kennel?
A hard nosed coach who won’t put up with under performing players, and thus bring up a young player from the lower grades who can do a better job, because the player understand the game better.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know I know I sound like I have lost the plot..Go read a few older posts of mine where I spew venom at the mere suggestion of him at Belmore and the whole Cheatulla saga, im not a fan of him or his past indiscretions.

Apart from “maybe” John Morris (who I am not sold on as a FG coach yet) who really is there that could come in and at the very least coach this group like a first grade coach? We cant afford to miss the boat again coach wise, nor do we have the time to be patient with a rookie and our new star recruits need to see premiership potential so they re-sign with us.

Fuckin Barrett...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
James Graham is tied up in the Dragons as a "St.George Illawarra Partnership Executive" whatever the F that role is LOL
Part of his release deal from the Steelers to St. Helens was employment on his return. Not sure how long that contract is for but I agree he’d be a good get for the Dogs - would bring some much needed mongrel.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Fuckin Barrett...
Speaking of the past Baz, you were vocally anti TB and changed your avatar to ‘the slap’. We know who you really are and your true motives - all good :-).

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
This is a tough one.

From trial form you'd have to go Wakeham just for his defence alone.

Avo misses way to many tackles and actually looks scared to tackle the bigger boys.
Flanagan didn't get much of a chance but when he did he dropped the ball every time basically.

Wakeham actually puts his body on the line and makes the tackles when needed, when he came on against Cronulla (Yes at Hooker) I thought we played better and our defence looked better also.

Bring back Shifty... He'd still be better then the crop we currently have.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know I know I sound like I have lost the plot..Go read a few older posts of mine where I spew venom at the mere suggestion of him at Belmore and the whole Cheatulla saga, im not a fan of him or his past indiscretions.

Apart from “maybe” John Morris (who I am not sold on as a FG coach yet) who really is there that could come in and at the very least coach this group like a first grade coach? We cant afford to miss the boat again coach wise, nor do we have the time to be patient with a rookie and our new star recruits need to see premiership potential so they re-sign with us.

Fuckin Barrett...
Unfortunately there aren't many proven options available.. I appreciate you didn't want Flanagan for the same reasons and we're all desperate to be successful again but we already sold our souls once to Des for some short term success (which led to where we've been for the past five seasons) and I don't want a potential repeat of that with Flanagan.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pay was a hard nosed coach and the majority of the kennel couldn't stand him...

Barrett is good looking but is a major softcock and now it's starting to piss the kennel off...

Overall the "kennel" couldn't stand Moore, Hasler, Pay and now Barrett, so which coach is going to make the majority of the prima donnas happy on the kennel?
Obviously the coach that can get some wins on the board

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I After Des screwing us up for years we can't afford to do the samething with someone else who is questionable. Like it's been said if we want to keep our prized stars we need to give them incentive to stay and I don't see a new coach coming any time soon.

Best thing we can do is sack Baz's staff and replace them with competent people, Gus surely has to know better options out there. It's clear the staff we have aren't good so it doesn't help us one bit.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Speaking of the past Baz, you were vocally anti TB and changed your avatar to ‘the slap’. We know who you really are and your true motives - all good :-).
??? What are you waffling about Dinkum,"True Motives.." I have always been against Barretts appoinment but got on the looney bus with you once he was appointed and supported the team in 21, you remember 21 dont you..?

Sadly after a season and a bit nothing has changed my original view. You and I had similar chats about Pay and if you recalll my concern then was the urgency and timing to go after a big name coach. We didnt, we sat on out hands until it was too late and then rushed out and signed Dumbo cause he talks great and was an assistant at the winning club Penrith.. (also, according to @PE Teacher 21 has great abs)

The only thing he has delivered is Burton/JAC and it would be nice to keep them if possible. How long do we wait this time and for who??

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
??? What are you waffling about Dinkum,"True Motives.." I have always been against Barretts appoinment but got on the looney bus with you once he was appointed and supported the team in 21, you remember 21 dont you..?

Sadly after a season and a bit nothing has changed my original view. You and I had similar chats about Pay and if you recalll my concern then was the urgency and timing to go after a big name coach. We didnt, we sat on out hands until it was too late and then rushed out and signed Dumbo cause he talks great and was an assistant at the winning club Penrith.. (also, according to @PE Teacher 21 has great abs)

The only thing he has delivered is Burton/JAC and it would be nice to keep them if possible. How long do we wait this time and for who??
Think you misunderstood my post mate.
I was saying your true motives are a successful club again - and that you’ve always been anti TB and it’s not suddenly because of a spoon and a shaky pre-season - you never wanted him - crediting you for that.