No Source Does the Ben Hunt rumblings have any Legs ?

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Canberra are the biggest threat and they would improve considerably with Hunt and Wighton in the halves..
That might push Fogarty out..
Would we benefit from picking him up relatively cheap?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Idiot..
I completely forgot about that.
Not as silly idea though. If he wants a tilt at a title with a dark horse this season Canberra would be a solid be, but only if they were willing to move Wighton back to FB.
1. Wighton
6. Fogarty
7. Hunt
Would go well tbh

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not as silly idea though. If he wants a tilt at a title with a dark horse this season Canberra would be a solid be, but only if they were willing to move Wighton back to FB.
1. Wighton
6. Fogarty
7. Hunt
Would go well tbh
Not sure Wighton has the legs for fullback anymore (I'd like to see him at 13 if we're talking about other positions)

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not sure Wighton has the legs for fullback anymore (I'd like to see him at 13 if we're talking about other positions)
Would have loved him at 13 for us. I reckon Wighton could slog it out at FB now that we are at halfway point of season.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You blokes need to not worry about Wighton can or can't do..that carnt can e.a.d Fattrells big cheesy number if need be lol

Hunt wouldn't want to go live in Can'tbearit Imo.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crap? Cleary was never playing anywhere where his dad didn’t coach. Munster was staying in Melbourne or going to Queensland. DCE was on the market when? Wighton is a 6 and we’ve invested in Burton. Moses was unlikely to leave the Eels and his manager was driving up his price and it appears they fell for it. I’m glad we’re not paying that money for him. Reynolds was unlikely to sign for a Sydney club outside Soufs but yes maybe one that got away and Hynes yes he could’ve been gotten but we’d already committed to Flanagan. So it’s not just ‘money’ and ‘brains’. Timing and luck play a big part too. Not as easy as you make out. If it was we wouldn’t be paying Gus massive coin to sort out our roster and pathways (the latter for when you miss out on signing someone from elsewhere).
Exactly my thoughts haha. He mentions for the right price… how the hell is Moses at $1.3M the right price? Talk about unbalancing the salary cap.

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Darren Lockyer reveals Ben Hunt mail amid gun playmaker's contract wrestle

Darren Lockyer has revealed that his mail is the Bulldogs are pushing hard to lure Ben Hunt — and Wally Lewis says Canterbury and the veteran playmaker would match up well.
Lockyer's intel comes amid links between Hunt and a return to Queensland, with Nine's Danny Weidler reporting on Sky Sports Radio this week that the Titans are "suddenly right in the market".
"I hear the Bulldogs are in for him because they're probably looking for an experienced halfback," Lockyer said on this week's edition of Wide World of Sports' QLDER.

"Interesting to hear you say the Bulldogs, Locky," Lewis replied.
"I reckon he'd fit in pretty well at the Dogs. He's got some fairly large boys up in front of him that can provide good field position and opportunities — a couple of former Broncos, as well, that he's had the opportunity to enjoy playing alongside."

Hunt is contracted to the Dragons until the end of 2025, but the recent axing of Anthony Griffin disgruntled the Queenslander.
There are also whispers of Hunt being irked by St George Illawarra wanting him to play at hooker instead of halfback. He had a stint starting games at hooker in the final month of Griffin's tenure and there is a belief that Dragons powerbrokers want to see their star halves of the future given a chance.
"(Griffin) has been here for a couple of years now and we are building in a direction I believe is the right direction," Hunt said as pressure mounted on the coach before his sacking.
Stream the NRL premiership 2023 live and free on 9Now
"I believe if you take away your coach and bring a new coach in, it's going to start that cycle again and, to be honest, I don't have the time to start it all again."

Talatau Amone, 21, is contracted until the end of 2024 and fellow Dragons young gun Jayden Sullivan, 21, is tied to the club until the completion of 2025, but their careers are stalling in Hunt's path.
The Bulldogs also have a highly touted playmaker on the books in 18-year-old whiz-kid Karl Oloapu, while the brilliant Matt Burton is their five-eighth.
Canterbury supremo Phil Gould revealed on Nine's 100% Footy in August last year that he had met with Hunt regarding a possible switch to the Bulldogs.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Darren Lockyer reveals Ben Hunt mail amid gun playmaker's contract wrestle

Darren Lockyer has revealed that his mail is the Bulldogs are pushing hard to lure Ben Hunt — and Wally Lewis says Canterbury and the veteran playmaker would match up well.
Lockyer's intel comes amid links between Hunt and a return to Queensland, with Nine's Danny Weidler reporting on Sky Sports Radio this week that the Titans are "suddenly right in the market".
"I hear the Bulldogs are in for him because they're probably looking for an experienced halfback," Lockyer said on this week's edition of Wide World of Sports' QLDER.

"Interesting to hear you say the Bulldogs, Locky," Lewis replied.
"I reckon he'd fit in pretty well at the Dogs. He's got some fairly large boys up in front of him that can provide good field position and opportunities — a couple of former Broncos, as well, that he's had the opportunity to enjoy playing alongside."
So that means he is Broncos bound. lol

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we beat Parra this Monday, we might make the place attractive enough for Hunt to come over...

If we happen to lose, we can always get into Hunts ear that Flanagan Snr is about to become Dragons head coach and Kyle is front runner for the halfback spot.

Thatll get him agitating...

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hunt transforms a lot of things for us, it’s a perfect marriage, he’s looking for good coin and a 7 jersey, he also wouldn’t need to uproot his family from where he is currently… in return, we get an experienced quality 7 that can break the line, read the defence and is super competitive. Burton can focus on his game and KO learn from an astute halfback - Get IT Done!

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunt leaving the Drags is good for both, they need a complete rebuild under the new coach. If he is looking at trying to win a comp in his last years there are not many options ( roosters? ) going back to QLD would mean Titans and probably good money. Bulldogs, apart from money ( which he is already getting ) i don't think will mean much to him. Think he would be great for us, just don't see it happening.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe a slightly different calibre but remember when TK was blowing up deluxe about signing Blake Green on a short term contract and then he did an ACL and the deal fell through but there’s keenness to sign Hunt who’s even older? Geez we’re a fickle bunch :-).
Fuck man big difference between green and hunt lol.
You serious?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck man big difference between green and hunt lol.
You serious?
Nah, was bored and just looking to extract piss by comparing signing halves in their mid-30’s and TK’s response to both. Got the reaction I was hoping for :-)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
‘I believe if you take away your coach and bring a new coach in, it's going to start that cycle again and, to be honest, I don't have the time to start it all again’.

Er, isn’t that what’s happening under Ciro??

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
‘I believe if you take away your coach and bring a new coach in, it's going to start that cycle again and, to be honest, I don't have the time to start it all again’.

Er, isn’t that what’s happening under Ciro??
Maybe he's simply setting a narrative as to why he will be leaving.