No Source Does the Ben Hunt rumblings have any Legs ?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think our spine is actually set. There's obviously an investment in KO and somewhat an unknown in him as well as Critta at 1. However, if you said our spine in 24 is:

Crichton
Oloapu
Burton
Mahoney

Most would probably be satisfied as it's an upgrade. Whatever happens this year is largely irrelevant. No quick fixes, just build it up for 24.
If we can get some large cattle behind that spine we’re going to be regularly in finals contention

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don’t want a player that only wants to play under a certain coach.. sounds like a sook to me and we don’t want sooks or dickheads in our club.
Happy to develop KO into a half, he’s obviously got the skills and defence, he just needs some experience and guidance in the top grade.
2024 top 4 premiership backline;
1. Critta
2. Let’s Trott
3. Bruno Xerri
4. Alamoti
5. JK
6. Burto
7. KO

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Pass. Too old and overpaid from his current and new contract, would just create salary cap issues when we desperately need to recruit forwards

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need an experienced half to get even close to a Grand Final. Whatever he wants.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After watching Burto developing at 7 it’d be a waste of money bringing him in, just got to play the long game, in a couple of years Burto and KO will be elite.
Spend the money on elite Props

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
KO is a more natural 6 but built like a 7, Burton is built like a 5/8 but has looked reasonably comfortable playing 7 and appears to like getting his hands on the ball more. This might have a few twists left before we settle on the 6 and 7 but I would love to have Ben hunt for a year or 2 because Burton, KO and Mahoney would all learn from him and become better players.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After watching Burto developing at 7 it’d be a waste of money bringing him in, just got to play the long game, in a couple of years Burto and KO will be elite.
Yeah I think you are right

Each game we are getting dominated in the middle. It doesn't matter who is playing in the halves if we are playing off the back foot all the time

I think 2 big props are now our number 1 priority

TPJ so far doesn't look like he is one of them and Max King although he is all heart, he isn't the big bopper type we need at the start of games to throw his weight around. King would be perfect in a 3 prop rotation coming off the bench after 20 mins and playing the rest of the game

We look lightweight in the forwards and last night our defence in the middle bordered on pathetic

RFM doesn't cut it either. Waddle was also soft in defence.

Preston and Mahony have been our best forwards so far

Once we add Kikau, I think we still need 2 big bopper starting props

Question is who is available?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ben Hunt made his decision. He wanted to stay there and play under Hook.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I think you are right

Each game we are getting dominated in the middle. It doesn't matter who is playing in the halves if we are playing off the back foot all the time

I think 2 big props are now our number 1 priority

TPJ so far doesn't look like he is one of them and Max King although he is all heart, he isn't the big bopper type we need at the start of games to throw his weight around. King would be perfect in a 3 prop rotation coming off the bench after 20 mins and playing the rest of the game

We look lightweight in the forwards and last night our defence in the middle bordered on pathetic

RFM doesn't cut it either. Waddle was also soft in defence.

Preston and Mahony have been our best forwards so far

Once we add Kikau, I think we still need 2 big bopper starting props

Question is who is available?
There is not much available in terms of experienced forwards. Uncle Wayne snapped all of them up. If you look at the off contract list the only one who stands out is Lodge.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Johnson might be an option as he is off contract end of the season. 100% we need an experienced option.
I can't see Warrior not wanting him/to extend him and that's the only way I see him leaving there.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't see Warrior not wanting him/to extend him and that's the only way I see him leaving there.
He has been very good this season but Warriors might be tight on cap space due to the RTS signing. I reckon CNK, Barnett, RTS, Walker, Niukore would be on decent coin and might force Johnson out.

We could offer him a 2 year contract and he might be persuaded to come here…

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pass. Too old and overpaid from his current and new contract, would just create salary cap issues when we desperately need to recruit forwards
Agree...he will command top dollar and he is really getting on

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you watch this for a few more years I can’t..they are young and inexperienced they can only benefit learning from someone like him