Does Burton have the potential to finally be the answer to our long running #7 problem?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few comments on the K about Matty Burton and how they feel he’s going in the 7 jersey, but not a lot on here have really said to much about it ..

So not just based on the Titans game, but overall, from what we’ve seen so far do we feel Burton has the required skills to be our long term gun 7? …

Are we not saying much about it because we feel he hasn’t got the required skills, or is it we just feel it’s still to early to say.

It would be nice to know our 7 problem has finally been solved, from what we’ve seen, what does he need to improve to make it his own or do people just think he hadn’t got what it take for that role ..

Interested in peoples opinions on this …

Last edited:

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Needs time, perhaps people including myself sometimes forget how young he is. My main thing with Burton at the moment is his involvement he just needs to touch the ball more and not fade in a and out of games. Also the biggest thing I believe he has to learn to do is his kicking and realising what sort of kick the team needs cause there’s times when the team could do with a breather and he should be kicking for territory and noticing what the team needs instead he throws it up and we are on the back foot if no one contests it.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Needs time, perhaps people including myself sometimes forget how young he is. My main thing with Burton at the moment is his involvement he just needs to touch the ball more and not fade in a and out of games. Also the biggest thing I believe he has to learn to do is his kicking and realising what sort of kick the team needs cause there’s times when the team could do with a breather and he should be kicking for territory and noticing what the team needs instead he throws it up and we are on the back foot if no one contests it.
Definitely not involved enough but what other options do we have atm or for next season also!!

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He has the potential yes. If the gap between his best and worst wasn’t so big people wouldn’t give him shit. I think we will end up with a game plan to take advantage of two running halves ala Keating and Reynolds. I think Reed will grow into a better version of Ennis and our on field general

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He does but in my opinion his best position is still 6.

I guess it’s a little bit like Ben Hunt. His best position is 9 but at the dragons he is best served as a 7.

Burtons best position is a running five eighth but with our current roster he is best served as a 7 with us.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Needs more polish and variation in his kicking game particularly in the final third as a halfback. More involvement in attacking areas, should be running a bit more he’s hard to handle makes the defensive line second guess themselves which is great. 23 years of age heads up player and makes things happen, should roam about more it’s picking and choosing with decisions as it is with younger players but much more positive signs. To be bluntly honest he is a 6, despite such I don’t see us buying a halfback so we should support him as a fan base.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He does but in my opinion his best position is still 6.

I guess it’s a little bit like Ben Hunt. His best position is 9 but at the dragons he is best served as a 7.

Burtons best position is a running five eighth but with our current roster he is best served as a 7 with us.
Exactly this!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's doing well in the halfback role at the moment. If Oloapu and Burton are going to be our long term halves pairing, which hopefully they are, then he'll stay at halfback.

I like that it's made him take more ownership and responsibility, get more touches and play both sides of the field more. I've been calling for him to play halfback since we signed him for that reason as he's the best option we have. Even if his game is probably better suited to 5/8th..

As long as he maintains his running game like he has recently and KO finds more confidence to show his attacking skills, then we'll be fine. Hopefully he keeps growing into the role and can succeed at halfback.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's doing well in the halfback role at the moment. If Oloapu and Burton are going to be our long term halves pairing, which hopefully they are, then he'll stay at halfback.

I like that it's made him take more ownership and responsibility, get more touches and play both sides of the field more. I've been calling for him to play halfback since we signed him for that reason as he's the best option we have. Even if his game is probably better suited to 5/8th..

As long as he maintains his running game like he has recently and KO finds more confidence to show his attacking skills, then we'll be fine. Hopefully he keeps growing into the role and can succeed at halfback.
If KO starts to fire within the next 12 months, I'm telling ya Burton will explode with him.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few comments on the K about Matty Burton and how they feel he’s going in the 7 jersey, but not a lot on here have really said to much about it ..

So not just based on the Titans game, but overall, from what we’ve seen so far do we feel Burton has the required skills to be our long term gun 7? …

Are we not saying much about it because we feel he hasn’t got the required skills, or is it we just feel it’s still to early to say.

It would be nice to know our 7 problem has finally been solved, from what we’ve seen, what does he need to improve to make it his own or do people just think he hadn’t got what it take for that role ..

Interested in peoples opinions on this …
Relax, boomer. Gus has the answer.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think, if we could bring in a true 7, Burton would really shine at 6. He's still young, though, and certainly showing signs of improvement. He could prove himself a halfback yet. He only just turned 23, so time will tell. With Mahoney's ball playing ability, we could also find success without a traditional half, in the same way Melbourne have. Need to see more of what KO can do in attack at the NRL level.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Short answer NO.
Slightly longer (and more correct) answer: Yes
he's not a 7, hes a 6
Unless you ask a group of other 'Kennelers', in which case "he's not a 6, he's a 3"

What he is, is a "footy player"; and a uniquely talented one at that. Getting the ball in his hands more can only be a good thing.

He has a strategic boot on him, a deft short-kicking game, can bust the line, and is no slouch in the speed department.
Of course, these can all be improved but they're already well-developed parts of his game.
He has quality written all over him.
Pass selection and defence are his biggest "work ons", and game management will come with experience.

He is only 23, four years younger than Nico Hynes, and given some more time to develop and improve I can see him being every bit as good (probably better), important, and impactful for the Bulldogs, as Hynes is for the Sharks (who until he was a 7, was a 1 - remember Fitzgibbon's "Masterstroke"?).

Would he benefit from having an experienced 7 to take the pressure off while learning 6? - sure, who wouldn't? But it isn't essential. Maybe in some ways being forced to take control will actually accelerate his development.
What he would benefit from far more is a forward pack that doesn't get dominated and having him playing off the back foot all of the time.

If a 7 comes along that is a better fit for the team (maybe Oloapu, after some time) then he can equally play six instead (the positions can be similar anyway).

Out of all the issues the Dogs need to address, Burton isn't in the top 10.