Does anyone have any Ideas?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
actually i do have a great idea

when you get into a 2 vs 1 situation i think we should create as much space as possible between our players so that their player cant cover both, then our players run forwards, wait to the last moment and pass the ball to the open player, the open player then catches the ball and continues to run and then puts the ball down
Puts the ball down over the line?.. or puts the ball down as in knock-on..

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Unfortunately I had to sit through and watch a very one sided contest,I’m no expert but when a hooker runs through on 2 occasions to set up tries,it looked so simple,our current forward pack,with the exception of heatherington is just not first grade standard,atoni,Ogden,katoa,just not up to it,we had 12 tackles at one stage and barely made 40 metres,it was depressing stuff.
Atoni looks like he's not even trying... he looks in 2nd gear, seriously?!

_blue_n_white_

Waterboy
Reaction score
Where's all the experts in here banging on about Averillo is our best 5/8 and Benji isn't the answer because his defence is rubbish and he's too old. I thought Benji was perfect for a young half in Flanagan.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What I dont get is that the most basic, coachable league skill...passing off the ground has been missing for how many years?
How many 9's have we tried the last 5 years that can't hit a runner on the chest?
You could teach people that've never played the game to do this shit with enough practice.
Steve Hansen needs to get his Rugby mates to sort it.
That's true ... you don't even need to coach it..
just get the dummy half to do a half hour each day after training of running up and down the field doing dummy half passing off the ground... after about a month they would be pretty good.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing that annoyed me most tonight was seeing Flanagan trying to spread the ball hot potato style on the last when Souths clearly had numbers in defense. So for one thing I'd like to see a short kicking game. Might not work, but it creates opportunities more than hoping to out muscle numerous defenders.

Secondly is our absent sliding defense. Saw one try where Meaney and Katoa tried to contain and overlap by following the play that way and the next closest defender of ours was over near the goal posts. Can't blame either player for a poor read, but it's unacceptable that the rest of the team weren't within kooee of 5-6 Souths players.

This might sound a bit odd, but I thought the ref was keeping a short 10m for Souths defensive line. Wouldn't mind if our players sacrificed a quick play the ball here and there and called the ref on it if they see a short 10m. No team has really tried this despite it looking obvious to me that it's something refs are guilty of. It might piss the refs off to have this questioned, but I frequently see that when the ref is keeping a short 10 that the guy receiving the ball generally has a defender on him about as soon as he catches the ball.

Even with Tolman gone we're doing 4 one out runs then trying to do something on the last. Not trying an "I told you so" thing here, but I don't think that Tolman was the problem last year and it's still evident in our play this year. Maybe the team needs to keep the opposition guessing by starting to play ad lib early in the count to prevent opponents just feeling comfortable with lining up our forwards in numbers. Variation in attack early in the count would mean that our opponents would be less able to assume that numbering up on our forwards would be enough to contain us and what many people consider a soft forward pack might actually look better if it's not regularly three in a tackle every time they get the ball.

I'm not ready to throw the coach or players under the bus. There's obviously been a lot of changes through this off season and things haven't clicked yet. But the effort was there early on. We looked very much like we were on top for a while in the match. But once we get into the attacking zone we still look a bit lost. Hopefully a few more games to sort out the combinations allows the team to attack that zone better. All we can do is hope at this stage.

yeh..all you whingers and or keyboard coaches..STOP WATCHING/SUPPORTING and come back later in the year, or if it's still fucked next year?? not joking.

i was warned this place is EAT YOUR OWN and full of nasty narcs but it's bad man, worse than i believed it could be...
You'll get used to it. I try to remain as positive as I can and a few others tend to be the same way. Would be great if you can offer some positivity too. The more people doing this the better. I don't know if the team reads the forum, but if they do it's be nice to think that they can feel appreciation for the effort if nothing else.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From what I seen today a few things stood out. Cotric isn't a centre.
Katoa shouldn't be ahead of Deitz. I think he's thrown a couple of forward passes every game I've seen him play at hooker.
Waddell isn't an edge forward
Tui isn't worth persisting with

Alot of people are bagging Flanagan but our pack is letting him down. Play the balls are slow. Hitups are lucky to be 10+ and service isn't great. He also lost his 5/8 early in the game which doesn't help.

Positives Hetherington. I think he is going to get better and look forward to him pairing up with Thompson next week.

Changes are Hoppa to FB. I personally have been happy with meaney but hoppa at centre hurts the team more than the benefits of meaney at FB.

Allan needs to stay at centre and build a combo with cotric. They have the potential to be good together but today showed no cohesion.

Topine played big minutes today, made 46 tackles. I'd like to see him at 13. Let him do a bit of ball playing similar to how Jake turbo plays. Looks to have a nice pass, give the middle a bit of spark. Push Jackson to an edge, sorry we don't have anyone better at the moment.

OUTS - Waddell, Stimson, Britt, T.Katoa

Ins - Thompson, DWZ, Smith, Doorey

1. Hoppa
2.DWZ
3. Avo (if available).
4. Allan
5. Cotric
6. Lewis
7. Flanagan
8. Thompson
9. Deitz
10. Hetherington
11. Elliot
12. Jackson
13. Topine
14. Katoa
15. C. Smith
16. Doorey
17. Napa
deitz looks more of an attacking threat than katoa too but he might be a liability in defence whereas katoa is a reasonably good
defender
thought d Britt played well today

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
What is it with our club and recruiting really slow hookers? Lichaa, jmk and katoa. All of them imports.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Puts the ball down over the line?.. or puts the ball down as in knock-on..
i prefer over the line but on the line is also ok, btw we are talking about the tryline, the key is not getting confused by the 10m or dead ball line

my recommendation is having a good look at the posts so you know which line it is, also run towards the posts (avoid running into them) and put the ball down as close to the posts as possible

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They need speed ,strength and confidence . I bet half their training is spent in a classroom with Barrett drawing shit on a whiteboard... They NEED an onfield captain to direct play as well .. little less conversation a little more action

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Widdop wanted 300k and we didn’t even enquire
Benji 120k to spark something in attack
Get tom starling or Daryl Clarke ASAP
Alex walmsley maybe
Jacob saifiti
I think Barrett was over confident (or too hopeful) about getting Burton early. I watched the first 10 mins of widdops game the other day - showed more in that 5 mins than any of our current halves have this year.. We definitely should have bought a veteran 6 for this year.. and surely we could unearth a decent 9 from somewhere.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
First of all pick a team if hungry juniors who want to play. We havnt scored in 3 games so absolutely anyone besides these imposters could theoretically would be a better option.

In the trial match against sharks. 1st half with full squad we were ridiculously hopeless with the full strength side. We literally played like we are playing now.
2nd half, all the youngsters came on and granted they had easier opponents, they still played expansive football. They worked together. We offloaded. We ran. We hit the holes. We made linebreaks. We scored. We did things Flanagan and his imposters couldn't do.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Anyone that can’t see Meaney is easily out best is fucken blind.
That is the major issue. When one of our most basic and most avge players is our best then you really know your club is up shit creek

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing that annoyed me most tonight was seeing Flanagan trying to spread the ball hot potato style on the last when Souths clearly had numbers in defense. So for one thing I'd like to see a short kicking game. Might not work, but it creates opportunities more than hoping to out muscle numerous defenders.

Secondly is our absent sliding defense. Saw one try where Meaney and Katoa tried to contain and overlap by following the play that way and the next closest defender of ours was over near the goal posts. Can't blame either player for a poor read, but it's unacceptable that the rest of the team weren't within kooee of 5-6 Souths players.

This might sound a bit odd, but I thought the ref was keeping a short 10m for Souths defensive line. Wouldn't mind if our players sacrificed a quick play the ball here and there and called the ref on it if they see a short 10m. No team has really tried this despite it looking obvious to me that it's something refs are guilty of. It might piss the refs off to have this questioned, but I frequently see that when the ref is keeping a short 10 that the guy receiving the ball generally has a defender on him about as soon as he catches the ball.

Even with Tolman gone we're doing 4 one out runs then trying to do something on the last. Not trying an "I told you so" thing here, but I don't think that Tolman was the problem last year and it's still evident in our play this year. Maybe the team needs to keep the opposition guessing by starting to play ad lib early in the count to prevent opponents just feeling comfortable with lining up our forwards in numbers. Variation in attack early in the count would mean that our opponents would be less able to assume that numbering up on our forwards would be enough to contain us and what many people consider a soft forward pack might actually look better if it's not regularly three in a tackle every time they get the ball.

I'm not ready to throw the coach or players under the bus. There's obviously been a lot of changes through this off season and things haven't clicked yet. But the effort was there early on. We looked very much like we were on top for a while in the match. But once we get into the attacking zone we still look a bit lost. Hopefully a few more games to sort out the combinations allows the team to attack that zone better. All we can do is hope at this stage.

You'll get used to it. I try to remain as positive as I can and a few others tend to be the same way. Would be great if you can offer some positivity too. The more people doing this the better. I don't know if the team reads the forum, but if they do it's be nice to think that they can feel appreciation for the effort if nothing else.
You answer the Flanagan problem when you mention how our forwards hog the ball for four sets, before giving him the ball to do something on the fifth. By that time, the opposition has set themselves to counter the inevitable pass to our halfback. Flanagan should be seeing the ball by the second or third tackle so he can get the side running.

We also need to get off the attacking side quickly, before they have time to set for their next play. Holding them down allows them to line out, and usually gives them six again or a penalty. Sides like the Bunnies and Roosters are masters of struggling when held down, then getting up and moving to the side to play the ball and putting our markers off side so their dummy halves can take off and not be touched. We shouldn't give them that opportunity.

We would lose less energy by getting off tackled players quickly, and getting our defensive line set. It will frustrate the "milkmen" in the opposition.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop relying on 5 one out runs from backs when starting 10m off our line.

Stop relying on 5 one out forward plods when 10m out from the try line.

Give Cotric early ball in attack. Restrict his kicking licence until he learns how to control it.

Forwards RUN onto the ball, don’t plod, don’t skippy-skip, don’t catch it standing still. If they can’t pass, don’t.

Don’t keep struggling to get close to the line from 10m out when there’s 3-4 tacklers in the tackle. We don’t have a team of Kikau’s, they aren’t going to get there, but they are screwing up the next play letting the defenders start so close when playing the ball 1m out.

Enough with the up-&-under nudie kicks straight to the back 3. Either learn to spiral, float, etc or ditch it and find the grass. Even finding the sideline will give us a breather and a chance to get our line sorted.

The only time a forward takes a one-out near their line is when the forward starts running off the back fence and catches the ball at full speed, aiming BETWEEN defenders.

If a runner has a defender in his face, don’t pass it to him.

Don’t turn your back on Cook (or other superstar attacking weapons), particularly in defence. Yesterday he was able to take out an onside defender by pushing an offside defender in the back into him to make a hole.

These are basic things taught to juniors. It’s devastating our FG side doesn’t get it

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
i’m not convinced we won’t put a string of wins together, it’s always a difficult task having new players in important positions.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
actually i do have a great idea

when you get into a 2 vs 1 situation i think we should create as much space as possible between our players so that their player cant cover both, then our players run forwards, wait to the last moment and pass the ball to the open player, the open player then catches the ball and continues to run and then puts the ball down
Agreed.

we should also put the ball over the opposition tryline with downward pressure more times than they do to us.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

yes i react a bit but just think numerous people have given up, become irrational and just get nasty..to me mostly uncalled for.
I enjoy your posts and your voice of reason approach whilst your clearly hurting too(as am i, was at the SCG as far back as the late 70's supporting this team so i am DOGS til i die)
Definitely have to give Baz more time and some of the players too..eg Hetherington made a statement/found his mojo yesterday so all is not lost..Topine was a shining light too and Atoni was pretty good.Also now we have an ever increasing injury toll and suspensions so there will be more pain with a skinny roster and this needs to be considered re our performance,
At some point things will improve we have to believe and then we hope that next year with the new guns and hopefully more key signings(which are clearly necessary)we can get back on the road to being the winners we always were.
Big call on recent results but we will beat the Cowboys Rd 6 and get better from there, touch wood we don't incur any more injuries ffs.