Opinion Do you rate the English players?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought Lomax and the left side Center winger were pretty good. They totally out played Manu and Rapana . I think Rapana has defensive issues but Lomax was on fire....good acceleration and passing game.

Any other stand outs that you like to see in a dogs Jersey?

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't watch enough Super League to be a proper judge but to answer your question, no from what I've seen I don't rate the pommys

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
SL is still entertaining but the defense is soft, maybe Bennett is passing on some tips.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I rate alot of them, Lomax and Daryl Clark would be excellent acquisitions to our side.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
surprised there aren't more out here tbh

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
George Burgess is a joke, if he did that in any other sport he would be banned for life.

Last edited:

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What are we talking about here?

I struggle to really grasp at how "good" English players are tbh.

History suggests that their forwards can cut it in the NRL, but their backs are woeful. In the last 10 years, we have had at least a dozen or so backs try to cut it here, and all left with the tails between their legs.

Sam Tomkins, Zac Hardaker, Richie Mathers, Dan Sarginson, Joe Burgess, Greg Eden...

The list goes on. They all came, tried, and failed - yet they have all played for their country.

The last good back I can remember from England would be Jack Reed (and he came up through the juniors in QLD).. and to go even further back it would be Brian Carney, and he is Irish!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

History suggests that their forwards can cut it in the NRL, but their backs are woeful. In the last 10 years, we have had at least a dozen or so backs try to cut it here, and all left with the tails between their legs.

Sam Tomkins, Zac Hardaker, Richie Mathers, Dan Sarginson, Joe Burgess, Greg Eden...

The list goes on. They all came, tried, and failed - yet they have all played for their country.

The last good back I can remember from England would be Jack Reed (and he came up through the juniors in QLD).. and to go even further back it would be Brian Carney, and he is Irish!
Callum Watkins, Josh Charnley and Ryan Hall are NRL standard.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Callum Watkins, Josh Charnley and Ryan Hall are NRL standard.
No disrespect, you probably watch much more ESL than I do. But just because they are the best in the league, and consistently good, means nothing. Big fan of Watkins (Leeds fan) - but I do not believe you can make such a statement as per the above. What are you basing your findings on? For me, that kind of statement is unfounded. Not until they have tested themselves against an NRL opposition week-in week-out and perform can you grade them NRL standard, and not just a one-off game, can you claim they are NRL standard. Obviously it is your opinion, I just don't know what you can possibly base it on.

I am sure people would of though Tomkins was NRL standard some 6 years ago- Man of Steel winner in 2012. Fails in the NRL.

Big fish in a small pond IMO. Says a lot for the standard of a league when a winger in the NRL wins the man of Steel.

Also - note. I am huge fan of the league. If it's on, I will watch it. Better quality league from a spectators perspective IMO.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I don't rate any of them except George Burgess and James Graham. They are good, tough, old-school players, while the rest are shit. Sam Burgess is a cat. The other Burgess does nothing. Widdop is over-rated. The rest are nothing as well!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Sam Tomkins arrived with a LOT of fanfare. The most i'd seen for an Englishman for some time. He was an utter failure. You would have to go back a fair way to find an English/Welsh back who really made an impression in Australia. (Connolly? Davies? Offiah? Hanley?).

The tough men forwards like Graham and Adrian Morley were able to cut it.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sam Tomkins arrived with a LOT of fanfare. The most i'd seen for an Englishman for some time. He was an utter failure. You would have to go back a fair way to find an English/Welsh back who really made an impression in Australia. (Connolly? Davies? Offiah? Hanley?).

The tough men forwards like Graham and Adrian Morley were able to cut it.
100% agree with you.

Hence why my argument is laid out specifically for backs. There forwards, especially the ones who want to dig in and have a cracker, have largely been fantastic.

Theres about 10 Morelys/Burgesses/Ellisseseses for every Lee Mossops lol. With backs though, it swings the other way round.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No disrespect, you probably watch much more ESL than I do. But just because they are the best in the league, and consistently good, means nothing. Big fan of Watkins (Leeds fan) - but I do not believe you can make such a statement as per the above. What are you basing your findings on? For me, that kind of statement is unfounded. Not until they have tested themselves against an NRL opposition week-in week-out and perform can you grade them NRL standard, and not just a one-off game, can you claim they are NRL standard. Obviously it is your opinion, I just don't know what you can possibly base it on.

I am sure people would of though Tomkins was NRL standard some 6 years ago- Man of Steel winner in 2012. Fails in the NRL.

Big fish in a small pond IMO. Says a lot for the standard of a league when a winger in the NRL wins the man of Steel.

Also - note. I am huge fan of the league. If it's on, I will watch it. Better quality league from a spectators perspective IMO.
I'm not basing on anything rather than their ability to compete against NRL standard players representing Australia and NZ. I'm not saying they will be superstars but I'm confident that they will be better than some of the fringe first graders running around in the NRL based on the skills that I've seen.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
they haven't produced any decent backs in a while, and the halves have been even worse

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
And yet an Englishmen won the golden boot ... lol. What a laugh..

mrsimit

New Pup
Reaction score
And yet an Englishmen won the golden boot ... lol. What a laugh..
Critics of the Golden Boot winner appear to have completely overlooked the criteria for judging - Brad Fittler in particular. I can't argue with the general consensus on this thread regarding English backs in the NRL, but Makinson has been fantastic in each of his international appearances this year.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Critics of the Golden Boot winner appear to have completely overlooked the criteria for judging - Brad Fittler in particular. I can't argue with the general consensus on this thread regarding English backs in the NRL, but Makinson has been fantastic in each of his international appearances this year.
What is the criteria? Best representative player? His win of the Golden Boot has lessened the value of the award. He was no standout in the last game I saw him play against NZ. Barely NRL standard. Taukeiaho's performance against oz was better than anything that winger did. I don't even think he was nominated.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Gary connolly was good for us way back when. What about great balls Offiah.

They don't have nrl standard backs as frequently as they have good forwards. They do produce some good forwards. It's the style they play over there. The forwards all have a bit of mongrel in them.