Opinion Do we extend Lewis' contract?

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Come on mate your kidding aren't you? it's one thing being Critical, But have you read some of the posts from " Berries Said " and others?, They are blaming Lewis for everything they are counting the mistakes that they blame him for, and all the tries that the Sharks scored down in Okenbur's wing were because of Lewis etc. Has everyone forgotten that this kid was pushed in the deep end and was quickly processed to first grade because of the situation our club was in, we had no one else, And then christened "the Prince of Belmore" because he helped win a couple of games. Well the Kid has potential and puts in a lot of effort in a very average team, he is a scapegoat. All he gets is bagged all the time. And why is it that anyone that praises Lewis is automatically Labeled a Lewis Lover by those of you who HATE him
Mate I don't hate him at all. He try's hard and that's certainly an admirable trait, but it just isn't enough. I just don't see a first grade footballer in there anywhere. He's been here for years and is only in the team because we really don't have any other option. Maybe some are sounding overly harsh at times I'll give you that.

At the end of the day we have got to ask ourselves would we rather the NRL include a certificate for trying hard when they mail us out the wooden spoon or are we going to seriously move back up the ladder by being ruthless and cutting those who just aren't up to it?

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate I don't hate him at all. He try's hard and that's certainly an admirable trait, but it just isn't enough. I just don't see a first grade footballer in there anywhere. He's been here for years and is only in the team because we really don't have any other option. Maybe some are sounding overly harsh at times I'll give you that.

At the end of the day we have got to ask ourselves would we rather the NRL include a certificate for trying hard when they mail us out the wooden spoon or are we going to seriously move back up the ladder by being ruthless and cutting those who just aren't up to it?

Well the point I'm trying to make is that he is very harshly treated by some on the kennel, see already we are getting the wooden spoon because Lewis is not up to being a first grade player, we over look the fact that in the years he has been with us he has been playing in teams with the likes of players like Hoppa, the Katoa's, Okenbur, JMK, Flannigan, Wakem, Napa, Tolman, Montoya, Wadell, Stimson just to name a few, he has played under 4 different coaches who keep changing team positions around every week without success, I would rather have one Lewis than 4 Okenburs or Hoppas. Before I pass judgement I would Like to see if Lewis is really not up to FG material. I would like to see how he would go in a team such as what we are building next year with players that Like Lewis put in 110 % and have the will to win just like Lewis has. In my opinion Lewis is a great defender, he is not afraid to put his body on the line, he has plenty of ticker, he can and has run at the line many times and has scored a few tries for us & has great line drop out kick has even kicked a wining drop goal for us and he can read the game. But at the end of the day my gut feeling tells me that he will be resigned next year, even just for depth and if he gets a chance he can show us what he's got in a very good foot ball team, Maybe the way Bellamy brings out the best in average players so may Gus do the same with Lewis.

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Well the point I'm trying to make is that he is very harshly treated by some on the kennel, see already we are getting the wooden spoon because Lewis is not up to being a first grade player, we over look the fact that in the years he has been with us he has been playing in teams with the likes of players like Hoppa, the Katoa's, Okenbur, JMK, Flannigan, Wakem, Napa, Tolman, Montoya, Wadell, Stimson just to name a few, he has played under 4 different coaches who keep changing team positions around every week without success, I would rather have one Lewis than 4 Okenburs or Hoppas. Before I pass judgement I would Like to see if Lewis is really not up to FG material. I would like to see how he would go in a team such as what we are building next year with players that Like Lewis put in 110 % and have the will to win just like Lewis has. In my opinion Lewis is a great defender, he is not afraid to put his body on the line, he has plenty of ticker, he can and has run at the line many times and has scored a few tries for us & has great line drop out kick has even kicked a wining drop goal for us and he can read the game. But at the end of the day my gut feeling tells me that he will be resigned next year, even just for depth and if he gets a chance he can show us what he's got in a very good foot ball team, Maybe the way Bellamy brings out the best in average players so may Gus do the same with Lewis.
How many years do we keep giving the bloke a go? He's not a rookie anymore. He just doesn't have it. I couldn't disagree more with you about his defence. There was mention of him being flat footed in another thread, poor reads, slow lateral movement, just slow overall, tackling around the legs to allow quick play the balls, the list goes on. So I guess while some are critical of everything he does there are also plenty turning a blind eye to his deficiencies. Anyhow doesn't look like we'll agree on this and that's fine. The club probably won't be calling any of us for advice anyway.

Reactions: GDR

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Let’s just extend him one year.
Too good to just let go when we can have him cheap.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If you count bombs and diving on a ball as big plays in a creative sense then good luck to you. I don’t. Getting a try assist for hoisting a 50/50 bomb in the air isn’t the same as a nice bit of ball playing putting a runner through a hole for mine but in the stats it’s equal. That’s where stats don’t tell the full story.
I agree with you, but when you quote grossly incorrect stats to support your view then it achieves nothing to advocate that view. It diminishes it, not supports it.

Always a Bulldog

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, but when you quote grossly incorrect stats to support your view then it achieves nothing to advocate that view. It diminishes it, not supports it.

Always a Bulldog
Not really I didn’t quote stats did I? A play is a subjective thing so I didn’t quote any grossly incorrect info.

Reactions: GDR

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
First, Tolman and Hoppa have had solid to great first grade careers. Lewis should feel lucky he even played with them. We already have two signed useless halves in Flanno and Wakeham, why would we sign Lewis? There is a reason why he has been in and out of first grade. There is a reason why no other club has made him an offer.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

100%.
We have to stop padding out the roster with project, and/or average skillset players.

We've already wasted 2 spots in the Top 30 we shouldn't have, with Katoa and Ok.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do we extend Lewis' contract?
No.
See

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, Tolman and Hoppa have had solid to great first grade careers. Lewis should feel lucky he even played with them. We already have two signed useless halves in Flanno and Wakeham, why would we sign Lewis? There is a reason why he has been in and out of first grade. There is a reason why no other club has made him an offer.
Yes you're right Tolman & Hoppa have both had great first grade careers playing in great teams with great players from the start of their careers, they both don't look crash hot any more and they weren't thrown in the deep end like Lewis who was plucked from reserve grade before he could finish his apprenticeship to play in a makeshift team under 4 different coaches, maybe we could afford luxury of giving him a run with a proper first grade team next year just as a thankyou for slugging it out and doing the dirty work instead of discarding him like a piece of rubbish & of course no other club is making offers to any of players because they all look bad as a team with the worst record in the league, all I'm saying is a one year contract even as a depth player & I believe that Gus and Tbas will do just that.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confused. The guy does my head in. Maybe it's his looks lol. He is 50/50 player. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
There was a photo in he media showing him with his eyes closed as he kicked the ball. Kinda says it all.

He's Lichaa 2.0, please lets not.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many years do we keep giving the bloke a go? He's not a rookie anymore. He just doesn't have it. I couldn't disagree more with you about his defence. There was mention of him being flat footed in another thread, poor reads, slow lateral movement, just slow overall, tackling around the legs to allow quick play the balls, the list goes on. So I guess while some are critical of everything he does there are also plenty turning a blind eye to his deficiencies. Anyhow doesn't look like we'll agree on this and that's fine. The club probably won't be calling any of us for advice anyway.
O.K

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There was a photo in he media showing him with his eyes closed as he kicked the ball. Kinda says it all.

He's Lichaa 2.0, please lets not.
hopefully the last time he ever puts on a dog jersey.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brisbane aren't getting rid of TPJ and Lodge because they can't play, they just know they can't keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. We need to think the same, especially with blokes who are average in NRL, and our squad needs more younger blokes with genuine potential in the depth spots in the 30.

We still need a hooker but there's plenty of ability coming and we don't need Lewis taking up a spot.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Brisbane aren't getting rid of TPJ and Lodge because they can't play, they just know they can't keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. We need to think the same, especially with blokes who are average in NRL, and our squad needs more younger blokes with genuine potential in the depth spots in the 30.

We still need a hooker but there's plenty of ability coming and we don't need Lewis taking up a spot.
spot on, if you keep you doing the same thing you dont change anything. I like the changes, hopefully thommo gets off as we need him badly