Did anyone else watch Braith Anasta talking about the Bulldogs?

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was 100% true bro, Sherwin went to shit after this as well. He didn't handle it well. It was also rumoured Hodges screwed her too. Sherwins ex was hot as fuck too..
Gotta love rumours.

How come They both speak about each other with love and respect these days?

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Gotta love rumours.

How come They both speak about each other with love and respect these days?
Let me phone them and ask them both... hold the line...

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My recollection is he was going OK until he signed with the Chooks, after that it looked like his heart wasn’t in it. Plus the rest of team looked pissed at him, on the field, for deserting them, the way he was playing and going to the arch enemy. I think many wouldn’t have been so angry if he had gone to the Wabbits with uncle George, but the Chooks was just too much to take.

Go Dogs
I can probably add some further information to this.

2005 was the second worst season I have experienced with this team, with 2008 obviously being the worst.

'05 was off to a shit start. We lost Mason to effectively a season ending injury due to a game against the Tomahawks. We started off the season with a big game against the Dragons - we scored 28 points in the first half and conceded 28 in the second. SBW picked up a mild injury, but we ended up winning. We then traveled to Townsville, with SBW making the news articles for his injury scare. Coupled that with Thurstan's reunion against his former club, it was a big game.

Utai had a shocker. SBW was carried off injured IIRC. Ben Czislowski would go on to record negative running meters. Rod Jensen chased down a certain Utai try. After that game, things just got worse. We would also lose a game the following week after being 18 points up (Tigers 37-36). Then we faced our grand final opponents a few weeks later.. we were up 16 nil, had an opposition player sent off (I believe Riketson)... and lost!

Shrek was then injured for the most part of the season. As was Perry. Sherwin dipped in and out of form. Ben Harris left after the Broncos game, to take up a deal in the UK to be with his Portuguese missus. Tonga's form dipped dramatically... it was just a shit season. Our only shining light was Asotasi, who was literally carrying our team at times. To the point where his form dipped when we had player return. It was just strange AF.

And then we went to Brookvale. That same day, the RLW player poll came out, and everyone was asking about who would be named the most-overated playerin the NRL: our very own Braith. And he had a cracker of a game. He was chipping and chasing. Put Ryan through gaps. Controlling the game. Sherwin on the other hand? He was hooked for about a 10 minute period. For those who want to remember the game - this was the same game where Ryan absolutely belted Terry Hill with a bell-ringer. A few weeks later, Anasta signed for the Roosters.

At around this time, we railed for a remarkable 3 game winning streak (Cutler filled in for an injured Patten - has a cracker of a game against the Panthers, only for him to be injured in a very cruel way). The following week, Hazem was listed as our 3rd string fullback, only for HIM to be injured in a win against the Broncos. And then, to show the humorous side of Folkes (or possibly superstitious), he listed Lolesi as our 4th string fullback the following week, but in jersey number 23 IIRC? And from there, we did not win a game. We lost, convincingly in almost every game from here - including to back-to-back 50+ games to the Eels and Tigers.

And then, without a whimper, our Premiership defence was in tatters, our superstar five-eight was gone, and we were in a rubble.

There was a small shining light though that occurred in round 26 of that year. We were up against the Roosters, who had a terrible start to the year, but rallied to just finish outside the top 8. We were attacking the Roosters line to a virtually empty stadium. There was probably 3,000 people there - although they listed many more. Anyway - back to it. We were attacking the line, Utai gets the ball and attempts for a trade mark Utai-Slam.

All of a sudden, the Roosters defence comes across and bungles him into touch. As this was unfolding, Finch (who was one of the tacklers) yells out something to the effect of "Not this time, Utai!". You could just tell he was still burning from his 2 try-heroics in the GF, plus the Utai-slam from previous.

Malla

Reaction score
I think we got rid of him because of salary cap reasons. I remember an article where Folkes was told to pick 2 of SBW, Mason and Anasta and he let Anasta go.
Pretty much. But that is not to say we didnt make him an offer. We did, but it was than the Roosters offer. So he still had a choice - even though he was giving up some coin.

I think Anasta regrets leaving the Dogs because he could have had a legacy here and become one of the greats. Look at the team we had in 2006, 2009 and even 2012. Anasta knows he missed his shot at another title with the Dogs. He was short sighted and took the money. I don't blame him for doing that, because at the end of the day you got to look after yourself and your own, but I do think he has some regret there.

When he couldnt give Roosters what they wanted, he was quickly sacked. I am guessing Anasta would rather forget his tenure at the Tigers as well.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

2005 was the second worst season I have experienced with this team, with 2008 obviously being the worst.

'05 was off to a shit start. We lost Mason to effectively a season ending injury due to a game against the Tomahawks. We started off the season with a big game against the Dragons - we scored 28 points in the first half and conceded 28 in the second. SBW picked up a mild injury, but we ended up winning. We then traveled to Townsville, with SBW making the news articles for his injury scare. Coupled that with Thurstan's reunion against his former club, it was a big game.

Utai had a shocker. SBW was carried off injured IIRC. Ben Czislowski would go on to record negative running meters. Rod Jensen chased down a certain Utai try. After that game, things just got worse. We would also lose a game the following week after being 18 points up (Tigers 37-36). Then we faced our grand final opponents a few weeks later.. we were up 16 nil, had an opposition player sent off (I believe Riketson)... and lost!

Shrek was then injured for the most part of the season. As was Perry. Sherwin dipped in and out of form. Ben Harris left after the Broncos game, to take up a deal in the UK to be with his Portuguese missus. Tonga's form dipped dramatically... it was just a shit season. Our only shining light was Asotasi, who was literally carrying our team at times. To the point where his form dipped when we had player return. It was just strange AF.

And then we went to Brookvale. That same day, the RLW player poll came out, and everyone was asking about who would be named the most-overated playerin the NRL: our very own Braith. And he had a cracker of a game. He was chipping and chasing. Put Ryan through gaps. Controlling the game. Sherwin on the other hand? He was hooked for about a 10 minute period. For those who want to remember the game - this was the same game where Ryan absolutely belted Terry Hill with a bell-ringer. A few weeks later, Anasta signed for the Roosters.

At around this time, we railed for a remarkable 3 game winning streak (Cutler filled in for an injured Patten - has a cracker of a game against the Panthers, only for him to be injured in a very cruel way). The following week, Hazem was listed as our 3rd string fullback, only for HIM to be injured in a win against the Broncos. And then, to show the humorous side of Folkes (or possibly superstitious), he listed Lolesi as our 4th string fullback the following week, but in jersey number 23 IIRC? And from there, we did not win a game. We lost, convincingly in almost every game from here - including to back-to-back 50+ games to the Eels and Tigers.

And then, without a whimper, our Premiership defence was in tatters, our superstar five-eight was gone, and we were in a rubble.

There was a small shining light though that occurred in round 26 of that year. We were up against the Roosters, who had a terrible start to the year, but rallied to just finish outside the top 8. We were attacking the Roosters line to a virtually empty stadium. There was probably 3,000 people there - although they listed many more. Anyway - back to it. We were attacking the line, Utai gets the ball and attempts for a trade mark Utai-Slam.

All of a sudden, the Roosters defence comes across and bungles him into touch. As this was unfolding, Finch (who was one of the tacklers) yells out something to the effect of "Not this time, Utai!". You could just tell he was still burning from his 2 try-heroics in the GF, plus the Utai-slam from previous.
Cheers for that! An absolute blast from the past story there!

I remember the reason for the number 23 jersey being used was because we were convinced the number 1 jersey had an injury curse. Those last 6 rounds or so saw us use 5 Fullbacks. Amazingly we went on a 3 game winning streak round 18-20 where in each game a fullback went down. Patten, Cutler and El Masri.

I rememeber this season like it was yesterday. I think I said it earlier in this thread, but I have never seen a squad have as many injuries as we did in 2005.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Could you please put more effort into your posts? Thanks.

Malla

Reaction score
Let's keep in mind he was a rookie and only showed potential (hadn't yet truly lived up to it). But an offer was made that JT was going to accept even if it meant a pay cut.
He wasnt a rookie. He had made his debut in 2002. Played another 15 games in 2003 and then more in 2004 (injury stuffed his season).

JT wanted to stay. JT talks about how he cried in the parking lot at Belmore because he couldnt stay. He did not want to leave. I disagree with the potential thing. I think what he showed in 2004 compared to the way he played in 2005 where he took Cowboys to a GF was pretty much the same player - only difference is he showed what he can do when he was the chief playmaker.

We fucked up big time with JT. Its one of those decisions that pretty much fucked the next 20 years of the club. Had JT stayed, we probably end up keeping SBW.

Anyway, it is what it is.

Malla

Reaction score
With hindsight yes. But who drops a premiership winning and origin half for a rookie with potential? Same goes for Willie. He was at the peak of his powers back then and would be hard to let go.
Now that you think about it, it was probably one of the best and worst administration jobs in history. Best in the sense that we managed to get all these players together, and worst when you look at the decisions made on who to keep.

We had all those players - Price, SBW, Anasta, Sherwin, JT, Mason, O'Meley and Asotasi (I am probably missing more) - and how front office failed to identify who they should be locking in long term for the success and longevity of the team. Hindsight is obviously a wonderful thing with JT, but even the SBW situation - a player of his stature only wants to be on winning teams and out front office didnt do enough to put him on a winning team.

We should have been farewelling SBW and JT at Belmore over the last couple years for their immortal careers and celebrating 2 or 3 more comps.

Malla

Reaction score
100% man. they did the same to Brock Lamb recently also... Rest Cronk, Keary gets knocked out and they expect him to lead the side around with Latrell in the halves with him lol... they are fucking over Ryan Hall aswell, yes hes old, but he would get a start over alot of other wingers.
I think they will probably do the same to Flanagan as well. Kid looks way beyond his depth at the Roosters. Good player but definitely not ready to play at that level.

Speaking of Keary, I am not sold on him at all. He's a good second fiddle but has achieved nothing as a chief playmaker. Won 2 comps behind Cronk and Tedesco and one more behind Souths forward pack and Reynolds. Who knows, might be Keary on the chopping block when he shows the world hes an average footy player??

Malla

Reaction score
Biggest insight I had from what Braith had to say was the culture at training and the work ethic.

'Break you down to the point of exhaustion and build you up again'.

Don't think that happens much anymore.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we got rid of him because of salary cap reasons. I remember an article where Folkes was told to pick 2 of SBW, Mason and Anasta and he let Anasta go.
not before Folkes had the choice between Anasta and Thurston and let Thurston go

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Sherwin after a training session and a drunk Anasta at Star City.
the problem I have with the story was that when Sherwin and Anasta would meet up post-game, there did not seem to be any hostility between them where IF he had banged his wife, you would have thought Sherwin or someone else from the 'Dogs would have gone after Anasta Fa'alogo-style

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
the problem I have with the story was that when Sherwin and Anasta would meet up post-game, there did not seem to be any hostility between them where IF he had banged his wife, you would have thought Sherwin or someone else from the 'Dos would have gone after Anasta Fa'alogo-style
IIRC the rumour back then the whole squad basically wanted Anasta gone. He wanted to go back to Souths but wasn't wanted by their board.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should've re-signed JT and Steven Price and let go of Willie Mason and Braith Anasta at the end of 2004. Anasta was our highest paid player at that time.
He always seemed like he was better then the club attitude about him our 00-06 team fucking made him.
As for mason I was having a beer with Greg matterson coach of newton premier league around 09 ish and just said willie mason was a cancer to a football club but we got the best out of willie and braith And they flopped away from our setting as mason has nothing but praise for our club

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anasta had a good career, won a premiership with us, played rep football, and earned good money which he invested well... enjoyed life off the field, too

but when you consider the promise, the hype, that surrounded him in 2000 and 2001, it was expected that he would be a top 5 player in the game and a perennial rep player... in actuality, he could be an effective player, had success, but there were limitations (lacked the creativity, speed and mobility of top line halves) and lacked the size and impact for lock in that period... he could be quite inconsistent, too and to be fair, was overpaid considering what other players were on... this then led to the perennial tag of game's most overrated player which then in turn led to some of the more idiotic excuses for him such as Gould referring to the attacking structure between the ruck and the left sided outside backs as the "Braith Anasta zone"

and there was a feeling that his heart was never really with the club and he was waiting to return to the eastern suburbs

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep then they all went to the roosters of all teams