Dessie's chance to fix right edge defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootermc

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With Barba out for the next few weeks Hasler can realign the back line. With Perrett going to Fullback Lafai is the obvious choice to come into the side. Without little change Morris moves to the right side centre, with Inu on the wing. Lafai left centre with Brown outside him. My way of thinking is that J-Moz being the best defensive centre in the game lets use him to best suit our ordinary defence on the right. Lafai is far better suited to the left and with Hodgkinson , Pritchard and Brown that side it will make us a better balanced side. With J-Moz experience could even help Reynolds from rushing up creating overlaps out side him. Any thoughts

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Totally agree hope this is what happens

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like the idea. Problem however is what do you do when Barba returns?

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's no way des will move j-moz. He's an international and origin centre (albeit on the other edge) he's earned the right to play on his preferred side. Lafai will have to play on the other edge.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think removing perrett from right wing will instantly improve the right side defence (even if we play 1 short) :p

I have been very disappointed in his turn style defence of late. Even at fullback he seemed to run straight past the attacking players when he was defending.

Left side is so strong because of hodko and Morris. Both excellent defenders. Morris showed he is more then capable playing out of position (in origin) but I doubt hasler will move an international rep out of position (but then again stranger things have happened)

Morris is probably the best centre going around in the game. His defence is better then any other. He has bulked up and has amazing strength in being able to wrestle players and bringing them down or into touch. When he hits front on the opposition player stops cold (chest on chest tackle) he shuts down the play.

Hodkinson is also an amazing defender. Perrett concerns me at fullback. He is a little slow and doesn't run direct (more often dances across field).

Even in attack perrett was too slow in the sweeping back like movements. We will struggle without Barba. More so because of his lightning acceleration and kick returns.

Lafai has shown he is first grade standard on the left edge. But will des make 3 changes to fit him in? We will know next Monday I guess.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
There's no way des will move j-moz. He's an international and origin centre (albeit on the other edge) he's earned the right to play on his preferred side. Lafai will have to play on the other edge.
So what you're saying is that despite Lafai being less experienced then Morris and probably more of a liability then Morris playing out of position and despite Morris just finishing a SOO series where he competently marked Inglis on the right Des should potentially weaken the team because Morris call shotgun?

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I think removing perrett from right wing will instantly improve the right side defence (even if we play 1 short) :p

I have been very disappointed in his turn style defence of late. Even at fullback he seemed to run straight past the attacking players when he was defending.

Left side is so strong because of hodko and Morris. Both excellent defenders. Morris showed he is more then capable playing out of position (in origin) but I doubt hasler will move an international rep out of position (but then again stranger things have happened)

Morris is probably the best centre going around in the game. His defence is better then any other. He has bulked up and has amazing strength in being able to wrestle players and bringing them down or into touch. When he hits front on the opposition player stops cold (chest on chest tackle) he shuts down the play.

Hodkinson is also an amazing defender. Perrett concerns me at fullback. He is a little slow and doesn't run direct (more often dances across field).

Even in attack perrett was too slow in the sweeping back like movements. We will struggle without Barba. More so because of his lightning acceleration and kick returns.

Lafai has shown he is first grade standard on the left edge. But will des make 3 changes to fit him in? We will know next Monday I guess.
So tell me who would be more suited to play out of position? Someone who has played in a GF & played for the Kangaroos and his state out of position or a rising talent with 1/50th the experience who has been unable to cement a first grade spot?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So tell me who would be more suited to play out of position? Someone who has played in a GF & played for the Kangaroos and his state out of position or a rising talent with 1/50th the experience who has been unable to cement a first grade spot?
I guess we could see drury low come back up? Honestly don't know des haslers game plan or thinking. I can't see des making 4 changes to replace 1 player. But then again Morris to right centre is definitely a possibility.

Lafai is deserving of another crack at first grade so Morris to right centre, inu to wing, perrett to fullback and lafai to left centre could possibly happen. We will know next Monday.

Either way it is a must win game for us to be a chance of top 4.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Barba out for the next few weeks Hasler can realign the back line. With Perrett going to Fullback Lafai is the obvious choice to come into the side. Without little change Morris moves to the right side centre, with Inu on the wing. Lafai left centre with Brown outside him. My way of thinking is that J-Moz being the best defensive centre in the game lets use him to best suit our ordinary defence on the right. Lafai is far better suited to the left and with Hodgkinson , Pritchard and Brown that side it will make us a better balanced side. With J-Moz experience could even help Reynolds from rushing up creating overlaps out side him. Any thoughts
Yes. I like your thinking. J-Moz can handle the right side just as he did against GI in SOO. Lafai is definitely a left centre.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like it but I dont know if Des will do so many changes. Lucky we have the Dragqueens to trial it, it should be an easy game.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the idea. Problem however is what do you do when Barba returns?
Hopefully it is a tough choice to make at that stage! It will mean we have been winning!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that despite Lafai being less experienced then Morris and probably more of a liability then Morris playing out of position and despite Morris just finishing a SOO series where he competently marked Inglis on the right Des should potentially weaken the team because Morris call shotgun?
What I'm saying is, I don't see how making 4 positional changes to cover 1 injury makes sense. More so, I'm certain hasler won't either !
As little disruption as possible is how he likes it. Its not as if lafai can't play on the right.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel the issue lies with Reynolds mis reading the play which sucks his outside defenders in to try and limit the inside gap. I would like to see Hodkinson play a half of a match on the right hand side and see Reynolds play on the left. This could open up Pritchard and possibly Morris in attack

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree 100%

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
This will be a big decision for Des. He's usual move would be to slot Drury Low straight in at fullback. And i think he'll do just that. He's got the same plus side that Barba has (agility and speed), albiet obviously to a lesser extent. But he definitely has the attributes needed to play Barba's role.

It's dissapointing for Lafai, but I just don't see the backline getting reshuffled simply to find a spot for him.

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
Great idea in moving Morris... Would tighten up right edge...

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score
I like it but I dont know if Des will do so many changes. Lucky we have the Dragqueens to trial it, it should be an easy game.
Lets hope the bulldogs get a win from that game and keep the dragqueens on nil

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
id play lafai right centre in defence.. play inu on the wing.. morris and brown stay the left and Perrett is good enough in the fb role defensively. However..... in our attacking runs id have lafai in the fb role to inject himself either side of the field and up the middle in support of the forwards and ennis. Perret back to the right wing outside Inu. Lafai has great footwork and speed plus a handy fend and would trouble defences given room. would be good to watch however experimenting this close to finals may be a big risk. but if it came off then Des would once again revolutionise our team. Thoughts people?

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
It's simple, we bring Hazem out of retirement.

Subwoofer

Waterboy
Reaction score
That's a really good idea mate because then our left side will be our weak side.

Status
Not open for further replies.