Status
Not open for further replies.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Ok guys, didn't make this thread to punch on over Des. I would just like to know who are the majority, pro-Des or anti-Des.

Vote away.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
PS it's anonymous so you can vote truthfully.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It depends on whether you think our roster is shit or that its the coaches fault we are shit.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really don't know he has brought us some success in the last few years , also made us one of the most boring slowest teams to watch and seems set in his ways .but 2 grandfinal apperances and a minor premiership is huge .
I dont know lol

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Des has to take responsibility for our halves pathetic performances, no game plan, our 5th tackle dumb as shiit plays, making our fat and lazy, not keeping up with the changing times where speed of play is every thing, keeping trex and getting rid of Tank, etc etc.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was happy when he was signed, now I'm starting to move into the anti camp. He doesn't have the excuse of being new or inheriting a roster anymore. There's too many things in his control which aren't going right, players out of position, issues in the halves, lack of depth (in positions other than forwards). His potential signings were very questionable (Fifita and Mata'utai boys). It's also no good playing inconsistent football all season, scraping into the 8 and hoping to get to the GF from there.

The club made a promise to the members and fans of 2 premierships by 2019 or 2020 (I can't remember which), now they need to deliver. If next year is not successful the CEO, board, coach and all the staff that Des brought in need to take accountability for that.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The problem is i still think our 2002 - 2006 squad was a result of us cheating the cap and had it not been for that we wouldn't have a squad that good which would've casted a doubt on whether or not we would've won the premiership in 2004.

I've never truly rated our squad in the past few years, Des is to blame for some recruitment choices but he has also overachieved with our squad. I doubt any other coach would make it to the Grand Final with a back three of Perrett, Thompson and Brown along with a halves pairing of Hodkinson/Reynolds. Our geniune chance came in 2012 when Barba was an absolute star and we should've tried much harder to replace him instead of buying a winger and expect him to be a fullback that is just as good.

Des did win 2 premierships and make 3 Grand finals between 2007 - 2011. That Manly squad was far more talented than ours atleast in the key positions, when was the last time a team won the competition without proper halves? or a proper fullback? We underachieved under Folkes and i still believe we are overachieving with Des, but he honestly needs to start recruiting better players instead of relying on inadequate ones

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our roster isn't so much the issue, the style of play we have doesn't suit our players.
2016 will be a repeat of 2013-15, I cannot see how anything will be different unfortunately. Our squad this year was supposed to be better then last, yet in some games in 2014 you thought we could challenge for the title. Only time I saw us look really dangerous this year was against Melbourne at Belmore.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Overall, I've become anti-Des.

Des is great at developing a culture of belief among players and building a club culture.

However, the execution of our on-filed style of play continues to be below what is required in the modern game, and Des doesn't seem to evolve it to counteract this.

Des talks a lot about completions and holding the ball, but never about what's causing the errors, and how to fix them.

Our attacking structures are so flat, that players receive the ball while jogging or at stand-still, while the opposition defence is already all over them. Lafai, for one, must hold the NRL record for most hospital passes received. Surely standing a little deeper would take some of that pressure of our attackers, and give the some more room to run straight and at pace.

It almost seems that Des is so focused on forwards, that he's neglected our halves, our kicking game, and our back-line plays.

I feel that we have a strong roster right now, and that's partially thanks to Des. Sometimes I feel that the difference between us being contenders, rather than not, has been down to the talent of individuals within our team, as opposed to well constructed game plans or styles of play.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
2016 will be a repeat of 2013-15, I cannot see how anything will be different unfortunately. Our squad this year was supposed to be better then last, yet in some games in 2014 you thought we could challenge for the title. Only time I saw us look really dangerous this year was against Melbourne at Belmore.
That's right. I try and think of reasons to why we play so slow and boring, only thing I can think of is if we play a fast up tempo game it was kill our big guys and we will get hammered late in the game. whos knows man, im over it.

Overall, I've become anti-Des.

Des is great at developing a culture of belief among players and building a club culture.

However, the execution of our on-filed style of play continues to be below what is required in the modern game, and Des doesn't seem to evolve it to counteract this.

Des talks a lot about completions and holding the ball, but never about what's causing the errors, and how to fix them.

Our attacking structures are so flat, that players receive the ball while jogging or at stand-still, while the opposition defence is already all over them. Lafai, for one, must hold the NRL record for most hospital passes received. Surely standing a little deeper would take some of that pressure of our attackers, and give the some more room to run straight and at pace.

It almost seems that Des is so focused on forwards, that he's neglected our halves, our kicking game, and our back-line plays.

I feel that we have a strong roster right now, and that's partially thanks to Des. Sometimes I feel that the difference between us being contenders, rather than not, has been down to the talent of individuals within our team, as opposed to well constructed game plans or styles of play.
you are exactly right. One thing I have always noticed is when and if you want to play a flat style, you need fast spiral passes to get the player before the defence is breathing down your neck. all our passes are slow and floaters. by the time our players catch the balls they are getting smashed by defenders.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That's right. I try and think of reasons to why we play so slow and boring, only thing I can think of is if we play a fast up tempo game it was kill our big guys and we will get hammered late in the game. whos knows man, im over it.

you are exactly right. One thing I have always noticed is when and if you want to play a flat style, you need fast spiral passes to get the player before the defence is breathing down your neck. all our passes are slow and floaters. by the time our players catch the balls they are getting smashed by defenders.
Spot on. Does Mbye ever throw spiral passes?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I was stoked when we signed him and almost got in a punch up (we were drunk) over him with a manly mate of mine BUT I have to say, I just don't like the way we play footy anymore yet I truly believed we had a team this year that could go all the way. It's almost impossible to see any form of coaching in our players.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
There are a few other things with his coaching that I don't agree with. I think one major issue everyone has overlooked is why do our players never have leg drive when taking hit ups?
other than klem and kas, we succumb to a tackle way to easy.
I know many wont agree with this, But Tolman style of a forward is useless now days. Sure he has great defence, but he is way to slow and gets dominated far to easy in tackles, play the balls are far to slow for the modern game.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pro des.
People complain about the way we play, but when it clicks, were devastating.
Our problem is ball security and discipline.
I seriously doubt des is telling them to drop the ball and give away penalties on the 4th and 5th ?

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Pro des.
People complain about the way we play, but when it clicks, were devastating.
Our problem is ball security and discipline.
I seriously doubt des is telling them to drop the ball and give away penalties on the 4th and 5th ?
May I ask in what game were we *devastating* in this year? only the Melbourne game at belmore we played our best game of the year, and we only won that game 20/4

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There are a few other things with his coaching that I don't agree with. I think one major issue everyone has overlooked is why do our players never have leg drive when taking hit ups?
other than klem and kas, we succumb to a tackle way to easy.
I know many wont agree with this, But Tolman style of a forward is useless now days. Sure he has great defence, but he is way to slow and gets dominated far to easy in tackles, play the balls are far to slow for the modern game.

I agree so much with your post. We can't carry both Tolman and Graham we lost soo much grunt.

I think he is a great coach but need to get this idea of not dropping players out of his head it might have worked at manly but it ain't working here. Both perrett and lafai should have been dropped by round 7 or 8.

Yes you made renoylds and he has peaked to the best he will ever be now send him packing.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
The problem is i still think our 2002 - 2006 squad was a result of us cheating the cap and had it not been for that we wouldn't have a squad that good which would've casted a doubt on whether or not we would've won the premiership in 2004.

I've never truly rated our squad in the past few years, Des is to blame for some recruitment choices but he has also overachieved with our squad. I doubt any other coach would make it to the Grand Final with a back three of Perrett, Thompson and Brown along with a halves pairing of Hodkinson/Reynolds. Our geniune chance came in 2012 when Barba was an absolute star and we should've tried much harder to replace him instead of buying a winger and expect him to be a fullback that is just as good.

Des did win 2 premierships and make 3 Grand finals between 2007 - 2011. That Manly squad was far more talented than ours atleast in the key positions, when was the last time a team won the competition without proper halves? or a proper fullback? We underachieved under Folkes and i still believe we are overachieving with Des, but he honestly needs to start recruiting better players instead of relying on inadequate ones
The reason why we did not win the premiership was not because we cheated the cap, it was because we got caught, given up by some mole working in the office that had
a beef with management.

I forget who else got pinched around the same time but nothing as big as us getting all of those points deducted
especially when them scummy karnts at NRL knew earlier on the year and could have deducted our early points and we could have recovered.

The best thing to come out of that was other clubs, ie PolitEasts took extra measures so that would not be exposed.
At the time all of the clubs, apart from the ones that were struggling financially were rorting the salary cap

We signed Des from Manly because of his record there.
It makes me wonder especially after signing She Rex ( please dont call him T Rex, its sounds as though he is a menacing type) if the so called calf blood supplements etc
was actually something else.
We have not produced anywhere near the style, esp. in attack the type of play we saw at manly.

Makes me wonder.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I agree so much with your post. We can't carry both Tolman and Graham we lost soo much grunt.

I think he is a great coach but need to get this idea of not dropping players out of his head it might have worked at manly but it ain't working here. Both perrett and lafai should have been dropped by round 7 or 8.

Yes you made renoylds and he has peaked to the best he will ever be now send him packing.
exactly. Reynolds will be 27 next year. If you cant kick or pass by that age then fu3k.
Des talks about completion and so on, But its near useless to complete if you cant do sweet fu3k all with the ball inside the 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.