Des Hasler

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s a pilot light Chris, it doesn’t go out, it just needs stoking. Let’s see what happens when the transfer window closes. Keep your chin up, things can only get better :-).
I keep telling myself that; and I still watch every game, and comment here in the Kennel. But, I'm getting on in years, and would like to see something great from my team before I fall off the perch.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I keep telling myself that; and I still watch every game, and comment here in the Kennel. But, I'm getting on in years, and would like to see something great from my team before I fall off the perch.
My dad said something similar over lunch today. Think 2008-2009: we didn’t win the comp but it was a hell of an improvement, that has to be the first step for 2021 - then we must go one better than 2012 or 2014 from there.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Funny how people forget. I recall many journalists and TV shows saying surely after what he done to manly and the dogs he wouldn't get another nrl gig. No club will risk hiring des and couldn't be that stupid. Now we are the stupid ones and des is back to being super coach. We walked into a good manly team with many great players recruited my Barrett and carty, he come to the dogs with many juniors and great players and leaders.
Des is a good coach but he's fucking lucky manly have a good spine and 2 beast front rowers when he got there.
1. Turbo
6. Walker
7. DCE
9. Fainu / Koriosau at one point now Levi.
8. AFB
10. Taupau
Easy to make the 8 with that base

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Des is a good coach but he's fucking lucky manly have a good spine and 2 beast front rowers when he got there.
1. Turbo
6. Walker
7. DCE
8. AFB
10. Taupau
Their team looks stacked now but when Des took over Manly were tipped for bottom four. It sounds crazy saying that now. Parker looks like a good centre/player (to the point now where he's underated). The season before (2018) he was all over the shop.

Last edited:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that's true whatever happens we should keep him on, could become our own version of Laurie Nicholls
Des Hasler took us to two grand finals, then tore the club apart. We are lucky to have a character like Dean Pay picking up the pieces, we need more from our senior men and some key young talent from other clubs.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to hear from someone with some common sense, some on here should still be in nappies, now day's diapers I guess (youre about the same vintage as me).
Des came here because he was offered a huge money and for no other reason , and milked the club for all it was worth, not only for himself but also for his mates.
Yes we made the GF twice with him as coach, but back ending contracts is borrowing against the future, we are now paying back that borrowed money big time.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
old Dessie "ZipPay" Hasler ….. cant wait for the shit to hit the fan at manly for the second time with him and his buy now pay later deals

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Their team looks stacked now but when Des took over Manly were tipped for bottom four. It sounds crazy saying that now. Parker looks like a good centre/player (to the point now where he's underated). The season before (2018) he was all over the shop.
That was on Trent Barrett. The team that finished second last is the same team that finished 6th under Des and stable in 2020. A good coach can get the most out of their players. Look at St George and Mary. The difference is St George have a decent team on paper. Pay just hasn't been able to get his roster sorted and most of that is related to Des/Castle/Dibs.

That said I am not confident in Pay.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
1. Turbo
6. Walker
7. DCE
8. AFB
10. Taupau
I dont believe he is a super coach but he definitely is a good coach, i was being sarcastic. In the era where negative football was about completion rates no talent can work. When footy is played talent is needed. Manly have a shit load of talent. Have one of the best packs, one of the best 7s and top 2 fullbacks in the game. Des can coach but didn't have the club at heart, he wanted results for the top grade even if it meant destroying everything around him.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we should have counter sued him for making us sign lichaa
should sue pay and dib the they signed him once des punted him , but because he didn’t play shit final 3 games he got another 2 years

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
should sue pay and dib the they signed him once des punted him , but because he didn’t play shit final 3 games he got another 2 years
the damage was done by that point, they let ennis and cook go and the lichaa support network had successfully installed a theory that he was shit because hasler told him not to run

mattressback

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm tired of watching our team tackled before the ball has cleared the ruck.
I'm tired of watching us stand and wait for the opposition to run to us.
I'm tired of watching us ten metres out from their line, with an unmarked winger, give the ball back inside to a plodding forward who will just go to ground on the fifth.
I'm tired of watching us lose the ball when we're under pressure.
I'm tired of watching us have no preparation, and no clue when the opposition is in our half.
I'm tired of watching failed combinations trotted out each game, and working combinations broken after they show promise.
I'm tired of waiting to see promising young talent, who are held back even when the season is over, and we can afford to give them the game time they need.
I'm tired of seeing the disappointment and frustration on the faces of the few talented and committed players we have, as their team mates miss opportunity after opportunity.
I have to force myself to watch our games; and do so without any enthusiasm.
I actually dread the prospect of game day, and look for something else to do afterward to take my mind off yet another disaster.
I've stopped trying to find replays of old games, because there are no games I can find where we had a win.
This is the lowest I've ever been in my 71 years as a supporter of the Dogs. And there is no indication it will get better.
Chris, I don't even get angry when they lose anymore. Iexpect it. I've followed them for more than 55 years, I agree that they have never been so low as they are now. We are a rabble.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recon by employing a good Forensic Accountant, and an experienced Fraud Lawyer ( the Police Fraud squad aren't smart enough) our club could make a really good case for fraud charges against Hassler, he never had his heart in our club. Dib would probably get away with it by claiming that he gave Hassler full responsibility.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm tired of watching our team tackled before the ball has cleared the ruck.
I'm tired of watching us stand and wait for the opposition to run to us.
I'm tired of watching us ten metres out from their line, with an unmarked winger, give the ball back inside to a plodding forward who will just go to ground on the fifth.
I'm tired of watching us lose the ball when we're under pressure.
I'm tired of watching us have no preparation, and no clue when the opposition is in our half.
I'm tired of watching failed combinations trotted out each game, and working combinations broken after they show promise.
I'm tired of waiting to see promising young talent, who are held back even when the season is over, and we can afford to give them the game time they need.
I'm tired of seeing the disappointment and frustration on the faces of the few talented and committed players we have, as their team mates miss opportunity after opportunity.
I have to force myself to watch our games; and do so without any enthusiasm.
I actually dread the prospect of game day, and look for something else to do afterward to take my mind off yet another disaster.
I've stopped trying to find replays of old games, because there are no games I can find where we had a win.
This is the lowest I've ever been in my 71 years as a supporter of the Dogs. And there is no indication it will get better.
I feel for you brother I’ve followed them for 40years.what a mess our great club is in.bullfrog wouldn’t have let this happen.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel for you brother I’ve followed them for 40years.what a mess our great club is in.bullfrog wouldn’t have let this happen.
No he wouldn't have.

I think it's high time they DNA test his daughter!

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No he wouldn't have.

I think it's high time they DNA test his daughter!
We were a club that other clubs envied.strong board, strong on field,we would win a premiership and bullfrog was already planning on winning the next.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I dunno about getting rid of pay completely. Would be a great assistant coach with us as he seems to be able to get the players playing for each other but seems to lack creativity and general coaching ability
Rookie coach with rookie team = rookie results.
The board should have approached a retired coach like Hagan to over see pay and help him out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Chris, I don't even get angry when they lose anymore. Iexpect it. I've followed them for more than 55 years, I agree that they have never been so low as they are now. We are a rabble.
We need a sad but true button :(

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This guy got away with murder or at least highway robbery with us and now he's getting the acolades!

Once again he's walked into an established and talented side and he’s reaping the rewards for it. I feel for the Sea Eagles because they’ll be where we are soon in a few years when those back ended contracts catch up to them.

Then there’s the Bulldogs who are still reeling from what he did to us. He let go of true Bulldogs in his time and replaced them with Sea Eagles has-beens on big contracts. Ironically he’s now got Marty Taupau running out on his side after getting rid of him!

There’s no denying we somehow got worse with Pay since he’s come in, but this has all started from Des and we can’t forget that.

Dean Pay sadly is not an NRL coach. He kept the shit structures Des had and anything new he’s added has us even worse.

Tough time being a Bulldog supporter right now. I watch all the games and see former Bulldogs out there playing for other teams, while our side are imposters running in our proud colours.

We need a complete factory reset. Get rid of the players, get rid of the coaching staff and start again. This whole slow rebuild shit isn't working.
We need to do the right thing with Deano and that does not mean "sack him"! hopefully we are not a club like that anymore.......TBH and IMO I believe we should extend Deans contract for one year only so he can have a crack at a much better playing roster for next year when we have a shit load of money to spend first!

Why would you get rid of a guy who inherited a playing roster which he has been working with these past 2 years FFS! He has been pushing shit up hill with a pointy stick and has not been able to rectify the situation with what he has been inherited with, he needs to be given the opportunity to show what he's got after we land him with some quality players in key positions. ( Hooker, another back rower "Bateman"maybe? get that new English front rower over here earlier + another quality Front rower and find a big fast quality centre.

I repeat, extend his contract to the end of 2021 is the right thing to do to get the monkey off his back for this year so he feels motivated and more comfortable and capable of in 2021 moving forward. I would be pissed off if they got rid of our Head Coach right now at the start of the 2020 season after all we did push Parramatta all the way in round one and Parramatta is considered as a contender in 2021.

We have waited this long for the cash to be spent so we can wait a little longer, why sack Dean after all the hard work then give all the goodies to someone new? Its not right!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We need to do the right thing with Deano and that does not mean "sack him"! hopefully we are not a club like that anymore.......TBH and IMO I believe we should extend Deans contract for one year only so he can have a crack at a much better playing roster for next year when we have a shit load of money to spend first!

Why would you get rid of a guy who inherited a playing roster which he has been working with these past 2 years FFS! He has been pushing shit up hill with a pointy stick and has not been able to rectify the situation with what he has been inherited with, he needs to be given the opportunity to show what he's got after we land him with some quality players in key positions. ( Hooker, another back rower "Bateman"maybe? get that new English front rower over here earlier + another quality Front rower and find a big fast quality centre.

I repeat, extend his contract to the end of 2021 is the right thing to do to get the monkey off his back for this year so he feels motivated and more comfortable and capable of in 2021 moving forward. I would be pissed off if they got rid of our Head Coach right now at the start of the 2020 season after all we did push Parramatta all the way in round one and Parramatta is considered as a contender in 2021.

We have waited this long for the cash to be spent so we can wait a little longer, why sack Dean after all the hard work then give all the goodies to someone new? Its not right!!
I think we should be ruthless and sack Pay regardless if a top coach is available. If no top coach is available give Pay one more year and we reassess mid/end of season. Again if a top coach is available (for 2022) we should be ruthless. If Pay under performs when we have "the roster" and doesn't meet expectations (which is going to be in or around the eight, it depends who we sign) than I'd move him on for the next best thing, assistant or super league coach. We have to do the best thing for the club and team.