Des Hasler

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Dib would've gutted the roster and had has back actively recruiting again, I have no doubt about that.
can you explain that to me? when exactly would he do this and how would it be different to now?

keep in mind he is one who thought the lichaa and trex would be a good idea and tolman is the best forward in the game so do you even want him to recruit? wtf

Perrett was the only good move he made

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Funny how people forget. I recall many journalists and TV shows saying surely after what he done to manly and the dogs he wouldn't get another nrl gig. No club will risk hiring des and couldn't be that stupid. Now we are the stupid ones and des is back to being super coach. We walked into a good manly team with many great players recruited my Barrett and carty, he come to the dogs with many juniors and great players and leaders.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Blame Dib and Castle for our salary cap. Des was told to play to a higher salary cap. Des also should of been our coach moving forward as we would of kept a top coach during these hard times (and Des would of got the best out of them, when Des took over Manly they were tipped for the bottom four). The funny thing is more than half of yous wanted Des gone for a rookie coach, e.g. Pay. To me it was quite bizarre. Pay is here because no top coach in their right mind would want to coach here as it's career suicide. If we F up recruitment for 2021 we're going to be a meme like the Titans moving forward.
You conveniently forget that Hasler also left Manly a complete and utter rabble for many years after employing the same salary cap strategy. They have only recovered from it in the last few years. Are you going to try to blame that on Dib and Castle too?

You think it was Dib and Castle who demanded we pass on players like Moloney and repeatedly chase Foran - finally signing him on massive overs when he was well past his physical best and an injury plagued rabble? You think it was Dib and Castle who told him to sign Woods on massive overs when we clearly couldn’t afford it? They told Des they wanted big recruits and that was a selfish ploy to preserve their jobs which we couldn’t afford, but they did not tell him who to target, nor did they dig us into the very precarious financial position we were already in before those signings.

Yes, Dib and Greenberg deserve a lot of blame for giving Des complete control and Dib and Castle need to be held accountable for protecting him for so long and trying to preserve their jobs at the expense of the club.... but anyone who thinks we should have kept Des is either crazy, or has the memory of a gold fish.

Des is a good coach in many ways, but he’s a selfish prick who is all about himself. He did a good job here in his first few years when he had a point to prove.... but his strategy of back ending contracts has dug two clubs into massive holes now. Not only did he screw us ofer financially, but it’s pretty clear his heart wasn’t in the job at all in his final years here and he was only interested in claiming a pay cheque.

our biggest mistake as a club was not getting rid of him and trying to fix his ness sooner. By digging in our heels and protecting him, we only blew our chance to sign more proven coaches and made the mess he created even worse.

Fuck Des Hasler..... Manly will have a few good years and he will probably dig them into another massive hole before too long.... and he was clearly taking the piss out of our club with some of those “big name signings” anyway.

He should giver be allowed back in Belmore again. If we ever play Manly at Belmore, we should build him a coaching box outside the ground. He doesn’t give a fuck about our club and he is toxic.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
The biggest mistake we made was in our timing of sacking Des. It was 100% politically motivated and we left ourselves with 0 decent options for a coach.

We are at risk of making that same mistake again if we sack Pay before lining up a proven coach.
We at zero risk. Pay is easily replaceable Des clearly wasnt

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This guy got away with murder or at least highway robbery with us and now he's getting the acolades!

Once again he's walked into an established and talented side and he’s reaping the rewards for it. I feel for the Sea Eagles because they’ll be where we are soon in a few years when those back ended contracts catch up to them.

Then there’s the Bulldogs who are still reeling from what he did to us. He let go of true Bulldogs in his time and replaced them with Sea Eagles has-beens on big contracts. Ironically he’s now got Marty Taupau running out on his side after getting rid of him!

There’s no denying we somehow got worse with Pay since he’s come in, but this has all started from Des and we can’t forget that.

Dean Pay sadly is not an NRL coach. He kept the shit structures Des had and anything new he’s added has us even worse.

Tough time being a Bulldog supporter right now. I watch all the games and see former Bulldogs out there playing for other teams, while our side are imposters running in our proud colours.

We need a complete factory reset. Get rid of the players, get rid of the coaching staff and start again. This whole slow rebuild shit isn't working.
We just went from the stove to the fire. Des screwed us and Pay is just continuing his work.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The biggest mistake we made was in our timing of sacking Des. It was 100% politically motivated and we left ourselves with 0 decent options for a coach.

We are at risk of making that same mistake again if we sack Pay before lining up a proven coach.
1/ Anthony Griffen
2/ Nathan Brown
3/ Flanagan (albeit suspended)

Above are 3 proven coaches

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I completely agree with the stuff about blaming Des.... but I’m not sure about a complete factory reset. We have some good young players at this club and a few veterans who can still do a good job for us. Our problem is a lack of quality in our spine.... and I am starting to think Pay is out of his depth.... he never has us ready for the start of a season... fitness and conditioning are always an issue. He is being forced to work under done major limitations, but there are some faults he has to take the blame for.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I think it is about time the homies on the kennel realise Des is actually a star coach.

'He is so shit but keeps winning out of luck' argument is wearing out fast. Nasheed.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We only really had one good year with Des, 2013 we were already getting mocked by other supporters for our performances. People forget how bad the 2014 regular season was, we went 5 wins from 14 games from round 11 and lost to the Titans after being 18-0 up at half time. There was the Hoppa situation as well where he didn't play in the finals because of Sunday and Des put Brett to FB despite not playing there the entire year and ended up injured and limping off.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You conveniently forget that Hasler also left Manly a complete and utter rabble for many years after employing the same salary cap strategy. They have only recovered from it in the last few years. Are you going to try to blame that on Dib and Castle too?

You think it was Dib and Castle who demanded we pass on players like Moloney and repeatedly chase Foran - finally signing him on massive overs when he was well past his physical best and an injury plagued rabble? You think it was Dib and Castle who told him to sign Woods on massive overs when we clearly couldn’t afford it? They told Des they wanted big recruits and that was a selfish ploy to preserve their jobs which we couldn’t afford, but they did not tell him who to target, nor did they dig us into the very precarious financial position we were already in before those signings.

Yes, Dib and Greenberg deserve a lot of blame for giving Des complete control and Dib and Castle need to be held accountable for protecting him for so long and trying to preserve their jobs at the expense of the club.... but anyone who thinks we should have kept Des is either crazy, or has the memory of a gold fish.

Des is a good coach in many ways, but he’s a selfish prick who is all about himself. He did a good job here in his first few years when he had a point to prove.... but his strategy of back ending contracts has dug two clubs into massive holes now. Not only did he screw us ofer financially, but it’s pretty clear his heart wasn’t in the job at all in his final years here and he was only interested in claiming a pay cheque.

our biggest mistake as a club was not getting rid of him and trying to fix his ness sooner. By digging in our heels and protecting him, we only blew our chance to sign more proven coaches and made the mess he created even worse.

Fuck Des Hasler..... Manly will have a few good years and he will probably dig them into another massive hole before too long.... and he was clearly taking the piss out of our club with some of those “big name signings” anyway.

He should giver be allowed back in Belmore again. If we ever play Manly at Belmore, we should build him a coaching box outside the ground. He doesn’t give a fuck about our club and he is toxic.
I'm not going to comment on before Des was Bulldogs coach as I don't know enough information to do so.

If you think Des had too much power, Dib and Castle shouldn't of given him that much power in the first place. There should be a recruitment team, etc.

Des is the best coach I've seen at our club since I've been following (since 2005, the 2004 grand final was the first game I watched). Des missed the finals once and took us to two grand finals. The roster he assembled between 2012 and 2014 contained some of my all time favourite players to play for the club.

You can say Des neglected juniors (I was quite happy with the side Des was putting out year in and out personally) but the main reason we're in this mess is because of what Dib and Castle did to our salary cap. Des might of had a say with how to do the players contracts (back ending) but if the cap went to what he was told we would of got a competitive advantage for the following two or so years. Both of us didn't hear the conversations between the three of them so I personally give Des benefit of the doubt and blame the people above him. Why would a club let the coach recruit to a ~11m salary cap (they have to sign off on it) when the current salary cap is nowhere near it? Think about it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1/ Anthony Griffen
2/ Nathan Brown
3/ Flanagan (albeit suspended)

Above are 3 proven coaches
Did you see Nathan Brown's record with a side that wasn't competitive? A few wooden spoons in there (also lost the dressing room in his final season, he was also expected to make the finals with the roster he had in 2019). Flanagan for 2021's ideal but Dragons surely favourites.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Blame Dib and Castle for our salary cap. Des was told to play to a higher salary cap. Des also should of been our coach moving forward as we would of kept a top coach during these hard times (and Des would of got the best out of them, when Des took over Manly they were tipped for the bottom four). The funny thing is more than half of yous wanted Des gone for a rookie coach, e.g. Pay. To me it was quite bizarre. Pay is here because no top coach in their right mind would want to coach here as it's career suicide. If we F up recruitment for 2021 we're going to be a meme like the Titans moving forward.
Manly tipped for bottom 4? Please! Barrett was useless. Simple as that. Hasler didn't teach DCE or Turbo bros or Tapau or Fanua Blake or Sironen or Tafua or Walker or Sui how to play. Des walked back into a good roster...having a year off to study them closely every game. He had a blueprint for every player when he went back there...after fucking us up completely signing Mbye Woods Foran to big money. Pay got CHN and DWZ here. Not Pays fault CHN fucked up or Forans constantly injured. DWZ was NZ captain and has had his moments but he's no Tommy Turbo. Don't blame Pay for working with a reserve grade roster. At least we stay cap compliant.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Manly tipped for bottom 4? Please! Barrett was useless. Simple as that. Hasler didn't teach DCE or Turbo bros or Tapau or Fanua Blake or Sironen or Tafua or Walker or Sui how to play. Des walked back into a good roster...having a year off to study them closely every game. He had a blueprint for every player when he went back there...after fucking us up completely signing Mbye Woods Foran to big money. Pay got CHN and DWZ here. Not Pays fault CHN fucked up or Forans constantly injured. DWZ was NZ captain and has had his moments but he's no Tommy Turbo. Don't blame Pay for working with a reserve grade roster. At least we stay cap compliant.
Manly were tipped for bottom four in 2019 before a ball was kicked. That was where they were in the money (betting). I'm not a Pay hater due to the roster he's working with just he isn't close to Des coaching wise. DWZ was NZ captain and fullback due to RTS being out. DWZ is a winger.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy got away with murder or at least highway robbery with us and now he's getting the acolades!

Once again he's walked into an established and talented side and he’s reaping the rewards for it. I feel for the Sea Eagles because they’ll be where we are soon in a few years when those back ended contracts catch up to them.

Then there’s the Bulldogs who are still reeling from what he did to us. He let go of true Bulldogs in his time and replaced them with Sea Eagles has-beens on big contracts. Ironically he’s now got Marty Taupau running out on his side after getting rid of him!

There’s no denying we somehow got worse with Pay since he’s come in, but this has all started from Des and we can’t forget that.

Dean Pay sadly is not an NRL coach. He kept the shit structures Des had and anything new he’s added has us even worse.

Tough time being a Bulldog supporter right now. I watch all the games and see former Bulldogs out there playing for other teams, while our side are imposters running in our proud colours.

We need a complete factory reset. Get rid of the players, get rid of the coaching staff and start again. This whole slow rebuild shit isn't working.
How about the "Morris twins" to old , to slow they said - the Roosters didn't think so

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'm not going to comment on before Des was Bulldogs coach as I don't know enough information to do so.

If you think Des had too much power, Dib and Castle shouldn't of given him that much power in the first place. There should be a recruitment team, etc.

Des is the best coach I've seen at our club since I've been following (since 2005, the 2004 grand final was the first game I watched). Des missed the finals once and took us to two grand finals. The roster he assembled between 2012 and 2014 contained some of my all time favourite players to play for the club.

You can say Des neglected juniors (I was quite happy with the side Des was putting out year in and out personally) but the main reason we're in this mess is because of what Dib and Castle did to our salary cap. Des might of had a say with how to do the players contracts (back ending) but if the cap went to what he was told we would of got a competitive advantage for the following two or so years. Both of us didn't hear the conversations between the three of them so I personally give Des benefit of the doubt and blame the people above him. Why would a club let the coach recruit to a ~11m salary cap (they have to sign off on it) when the current salary cap is nowhere near it? Think about it.
our salary cap problems started long before the extension.... and signing Forsn on $1 million a season and signing Woods as our highest paid forward wouldn’t have made sense even if we had a $50 million salary cap.

I am not saying the precious board is blameless, but to absolve Hasler of responsibility is just naive. If you have been following the fsme since the 2004 grand Findlay, you should be well aware of the damage he did at manly.

he knows his goofy, but he does not care stcsll about this club and didn’t even have the professionalism to make the right recruiting decisions while he was here. We SHOULD have made the finals during his tenure with the roster we had. Apart from 2012 and 2014, his tenure at the club was ordinary. Follows would have delivered better results with the roster Hasler has to work with.....

He’s a self serving, toxic srs while snd our club is much better off without him. We need to look to the future, not the past.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

which was the roster he assembled?

the roster was assembled before he got here unless trex was your favourite player, I could make an argument that des was still secretly employed by manly, that's how bad the ennis/lichaa call was, Cronulla were laughing at us instantly knowing they got the better end of the deal and they won the title 2 seasons after getting the wooden spoon

ennis was the spirit of the team and hasler got rid of him like an idiot, explain that one