Des Hasler warns Sydney Roosters an unfit Mitchell Pearce could be a risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-...osters-that-an-unfit-pearce-is-a-risk/6783138

Canterbury coach Des Hasler has put the heat on his Sydney Roosters counterpart Trent Robinson, warning him that "rolling the dice" on Mitchell Pearce's fitness could backfire.

On the eve of Friday night's do-or-die NRL semi-final, the savvy mentor tossed a smoke bomb at the Tri-colours by reminding them of the consequences of fielding their injured co-captain.

Pearce has missed the past three weeks with a hamstring injury.

Robinson named Pearce at half-back in place of Jackson Hastings on Tuesday but is rated only a 50/50 chance of taking the field at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Hasler warned the Roosters - even if they beat the Bulldogs - risk losing Pearce for the rest of the finals series should he start and aggravate the injury.

"In this particular case, it's a big call because if you roll that dice and it doesn't pay off, then you could hamper that individual's inclusion in the finals series severely," Hasler said on Thursday.

"It's a big call, but that's for them to make. I'm sure they'll be guided by medical advice and the risk analysis that goes into it. It's a pretty big decision."

However with a preliminary final on the line, Hasler said he was bracing his team for the half-back's inclusion.

"You can only do what you can, but you prepare for a player like Mitchell to play," Hasler said.

"At the same time, the replacement player in Hastings, he's been doing an outstanding job.

"But if there's any way Mitchell could possibly play, he will, given the gravity of what the game is about and what's at stake."

Hasler - who is without half-back Trent Hodkinson for the rest of the season - said that even if Pearce carried the injury into the game, his presence alone would lift a side still smarting from their qualifying defeat to Melbourne last week.

"His kicking game might be a bit limited (but) just his presence out there, he's their leader," he said."

The Bulldogs have had their own health concerns this week, with Hasler confirming that a couple of players had been quarantined from the squad due to a virus.

The two-time premiership-winning coach refused to divulge which players had missed training sessions, but assured no one was in doubt for the match.

"They've been a bit ill, but they'll be right," he said.

The winner takes on Brisbane at Lang Park for a place in the grand final.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Danny Weidler ‏@Danny_Weidler 4 minutes ago
Just spoke to Mitchell Pearce - he's hoping to play next week if the Roosters can get past Bulldogs

Bakes ‏@che2g4u 39 seconds ago
@Danny_Weidler So his next game is in 2016 then

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would have preferred him to play actually ... I think they've looked better with hastings ... anyways the main man is definitely Maloney .... and has been all year ...

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Dean Ritchie and The Mole also tweeted he is OUT

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
triple m reporting hes out...
mustnt of held up too well after the run this morning...
i wish he did play tbh

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Maloneys so shit lol. Pressure the midget and hel fuk up big time. I expect our big boys to give him grief all night.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I would have preferred him to play actually ... I think they've looked better with hastings ... anyways the main man is definitely Maloney .... and has been all year ...
100% agree. Hastings has been quite good for them, hope Pearce plays.

R0CKY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lol hastings is crap...he is no halfback but geez its all maloney

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maloneys so shit lol. Pressure the midget and hel fuk up big time. I expect our big boys to give him grief all night.
Maloney is shit? Lol okay.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i was hoping pearce has played , that only weakens the roosters team.

since hasting has been in the team, both maloney and roosters over all are up another level.

we will beat them anyway.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maloney is good but he turns to shit once the pressure gets to him. He reminds me of keary in that he cant handle the niggle but is a massive grub himself.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That makes it somewhat even as we are missing out halfback too
so no excuses for the capless rorters

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Maloney is good but he turns to shit once the pressure gets to him. He reminds me of keary in that he cant handle the niggle but is a massive grub himself.
His kicking game was terrible last week. I think he gave the storm 7 7 tackle sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.