Des Hasler has bitten back at his side’s critics after unconvincing win against Dragons, Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
CANTERBURY coach Des Hasler has bitten back at his side’s critics, brushing off claims they’re shaping as NRL also-rans.

The Bulldogs are right in the mix, placed fourth with four regular rounds to play but have copped criticism after unconvincing wins over strugglers St George Illawarra and Newcastle in the last fortnight.

While Hasler attributed those performances to the opposition and also difficult conditions on Saturday in Newcastle, legends Darren Lockyer and Brad Fittler cast doubt over their title credentials.

Lockyer said he believed they were out of the running and too inconsistent while Fittler said they were “winning ugly” and getting home on the back of some individual brilliance.

However Hasler, whose side has won six of their last seven matches, pointed to their position on the ladder as proof of their credentials.

“Winning ugly, what does that mean? We’re winning games when we need to,” Hasler said.

“Obviously at the same time it’s a pretty tight comp.

“There’s three sides fighting for third and fourth and how many sides are fighting it out for sixth, seventh and eighth spot? “I think that’s a good thing.” The Bulldogs have lost just three games since round 10 in May with all of those defeats coming against sides in top four contention — North Queensland (fifth), Cronulla (second) and Canberra (third).

They are also third in the league for completions and fourth for metres made, illustrating they’re capable of executing and dominating their opposition.

Asked about suggestions they weren’t in the hunt, Hasler was blunt: “Well we’re in fourth place.”

I love it when the media piles on the Bulldogs. Quite often it's just what's needed to light a fire in the belly.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope your got an ace up your sleeve Desmond i would love a grandfinal please
It's been too long since we won a gf Southy.
Since we last won I met a woman, got married, got a dog, had a kid, changed jobs 5 times, moved houses twice and bought and sold 9 cars ! (and maybe gained a couple of kilos)

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs have lost just three games since round 10 in May with all of those defeats coming against sides in top four contention — North Queensland (fifth), Cronulla (second) and Canberra (third).

concerning.......

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs have lost just three games since round 10 in May with all of those defeats coming against sides in top four contention — North Queensland (fifth), Cronulla (second) and Canberra (third).

concerning.......
Not as bad as it looks we were origin effected for the Raiders, did everything but win against the Sharks and that Cowboys game was just a right off. Don't forget we are the only side to beat Melbourne in Melbourne this year.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are right in the mix, placed fourth with four regular rounds to play but have copped criticism after unconvincing wins over strugglers St George Illawarra and Newcastle in the last fortnight.

The Bulldogs have lost just three games since round 10 in May with all of those defeats coming against sides in top four contention — North Queensland (fifth), Cronulla (second) and Canberra (third).
If we are being called also rans coz we didnt smash Newcastle or St George recently, then Storm, Raiders and Broncos are also rans as well. Storm only beat Newcastle by 4 last month. Raiders only beat Newcastle by 5 the week before that. We beat Newcastle by 14 btw. We also scored more points against knight than Raiders or Storm scored. We also let less in. Newcastle are a lot better at home, but sadly for them not enough to win. Idiots here call it a bad win coz we didnt win by 50. All i have for that is lol.

Broncos only beat St George by 4 last week after we only beat them by 3 the week before. Of course that couldnt be because merge are fighting for their season and their defence has been a lot better because of it the last few rounds (although they still cant score tries). Being desperate increases enthusiasm. Increased enthusiasm improves defence. Sadly for merge, it doesnt improve attack, which they dont have.

Sure we got belted at townsville, where they pretty much never lose, and hadnt for over a year until 2 weeks ago, when they were missing JT. They will lose all matches vs good sides (or even some weaker ones) without JT.

We beat Melbourne (the side in 1st) in Melbourne. We led Sharks (the side in 2nd) until 78 minutes, to only just go down. I dont believe we have a problem vs top 8 sides at all (unless we had to play a final in townsville and JT plays).

A couple of hasbeens (Lockyer, Anasta etc) bag our chances, all people who hate the dogs and jump on our case at any oppotunity, and people here think it is backing up their own pessimistic views. Difference is though, we are supposed to be bulldogs fans not haters like that mob. That mob would write us off if we were 1st right now. Anasta is butthurt concerning the dogs, and Lockyer is diverting attention away from his own Broncos who are in a lot worse shape than us, and 4pts below us on the table.

Im sure we have to go up a gear to be a chance this year, but i am 100% certain we have that gear. Sharks, Raiders, Storm, they dont get any better than they are playing now or have played this year. Cowboys dont get any better than they were in townsville vs us, and are useless without JT. We arent as badly placed as people here would like to call.

Not sure why people here cant wait to see how we go in the finals before writing off our chances. Its nothing like fans of any other club would behave. Our so called fans are a special breed lol. Ive never seen in all my 48 years, any fans in any sport turn on their own side for any reason, like dogs fans do. Its kinda sad.

But for me it changes nothing. Im excited for the finals and like our chances, and will enjoy the rest of the season whatever happens. Its a long offseason. Plenty time to bitch then.

Where can i go to celebrate when we win, or to offer support for my team? I wish there was a place. Its not here.

Last edited:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not as bad as it looks we were origin effected for the Raiders, did everything but win against the Sharks and that Cowboys game was just a right off. Don't forget we are the only side to beat Melbourne in Melbourne this year.
The problem is its not just this season ... In the past few seasons we have struggled against the elite sides ... Hasler nor our halves can think on the run and adapt..

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's been too long since we won a gf Southy.
Since we last won I met a woman, got married, got a dog, had a kid, changed jobs 5 times, moved houses twice and bought and sold 9 cars ! (and maybe gained a couple of kilos)
Yeah ive also followed through on a few wet farts

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem is its not just this season ... In the past few seasons we have struggled against the elite sides ... Hasler nor our halves can think on the run and adapt..
I agree once the opposition match our forwards there's no plan b.

Reactions: GDR

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We lost to cronulla on the hooter, n lost to Canberra in Canberra without origin players plus the stuff around with josh Morris, only concern would be Cowboys game

Reactions: DT

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Cronulla - Lost in the last few minutes of the game.
Cowboys - We didn't turn up to play.
Canberra in Canberra - We fielded like 6 NSW Cup regular players (due to Origin and injuries) and a debut winger in Smith.
Canberra at Belmore - We lost Browne and Kas after about 20 minutes, and also lost someone in the backline (Morris IIRC).

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well done Des. Its refreshing to see him come out in support of the team."we're" winning not "they're" winning. Taking the heat of the players and applying the blowtorch to the competition. September is around the corner.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all know that the criticism is spot on, the disjointed attack won't cut it in the big games against the quality sides as we've seen since 2013. We have players with rep and GF experience all around the park, if we could only see some more cohesive attacking football we'd be leading the comp without a doubt. Us fans have known we've been underperforming for years and switched on people like lockyer are now voicing the same thing

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we are being called also rans coz we didnt smash Newcastle or St George recently, then Storm, Raiders and Broncos are also rans as well. Storm only beat Newcastle by 4 last month. Raiders only beat Newcastle by 5 the week before that. We beat Newcastle by 14 btw. We also scored more points against knight than Raiders or Storm scored. We also let less in. Newcastle are a lot better at home, but sadly for them not enough to win. Idiots here call it a bad win coz we didnt win by 50. All i have for that is lol.

Broncos only beat St George by 4 last week after we only beat them by 3 the week before. Of course that couldnt be because merge are fighting for their season and their defence has been a lot better because of it the last few rounds (although they still cant score tries). Being desperate increases enthusiasm. Increased enthusiasm improves defence. Sadly for merge, it doesnt improve attack, which they dont have.

Sure we got belted at townsville, where they pretty much never lose, and hadnt for over a year until 2 weeks ago, when they were missing JT. They will lose all matches vs good sides (or even some weaker ones) without JT.

We beat Melbourne (the side in 1st) in Melbourne. We led Sharks (the side in 2nd) until 78 minutes, to only just go down. I dont believe we have a problem vs top 8 sides at all (unless we had to play a final in townsville and JT plays).

A couple of hasbeens (Lockyer, Anasta etc) bag our chances, all people who hate the dogs and jump on our case at any oppotunity, and people here think it is backing up their own pessimistic views. Difference is though, we are supposed to be bulldogs fans not haters like that mob. That mob would write us off if we were 1st right now. Anasta is butthurt concerning the dogs, and Lockyer is diverting attention away from his own Broncos who are in a lot worse shape than us, and 4pts below us on the table.

Im sure we have to go up a gear to be a chance this year, but i am 100% certain we have that gear. Sharks, Raiders, Storm, they dont get any better than they are playing now or have played this year. Cowboys dont get any better than they were in townsville vs us, and are useless without JT. We arent as badly placed as people here would like to call.

Not sure why people here cant wait to see how we go in the finals before writing off our chances. Its nothing like fans of any other club would behave. Our so called fans are a special breed lol. Ive never seen in all my 48 years, any fans in any sport turn on their own side for any reason, like dogs fans do. Its kinda sad.

But for me it changes nothing. Im excited for the finals and like our chances, and will enjoy the rest of the season whatever happens. Its a long offseason. Plenty time to bitch then.

Where can i go to celebrate when we win, or to offer support for my team? I wish there was a place. Its not here.
No offence but to say that you've never seen other fans turn on their team like us doesn't mean they don't. Just talk to some souffs fans to enlighten yourself

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No offence but to say that you've never seen other fans turn on their team like us doesn't mean they don't. Just talk to some souffs fans to enlighten yourself
Warrior fans are the pits

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I met a guy at a conference last year who gave me shit for supporting the dogs despite being a kiwi. He ( kiwi as well) downs few more beers and embarrassed to admit being warriors supporter tells me he bckd souths since he was a kid cos he loved 'big blocker roach' fkn lol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

concerning.......
Only the Cowboys loss is tbh, we can beat them anywhere this year imo, just not in Townsville.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm confident now the coke head and the inbred hillbilly **** have written us off.

Status
Not open for further replies.