Des Hasler declined new jobs to stay at Bulldogs, court hears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Those talking about the legality of an MOU or HOA, are completely misunderstanding the situation.
We announced hasler a signing, officially, on more than one occasion. This action would’ve almost certainly prevented other offers from being made or considered.
Hasler is definitely entitled to some compensation, however “the full value of his contract” is a bit rich.
This is destined to be settled out of court.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seeing Haslers picture again in that story makes me sick. I can't stand what he did to the club especially over the last few years. Only good thing is he isn't and will never wear bulldogs colours again.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Correction, who would want to sign him after watching us play Desball??? It was only till the last 3 rounds of the regular season that we actually started playing football.
True true.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seeing Haslers picture again in that story makes me sick. I can't stand what he did to the club especially over the last few years. Only good thing is he isn't and will never wear bulldogs colours again.
I shared that same feeling when i saw his picture.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You guys need to watch more Suits seriously.

If our lawyers are angling for a settlement as per my instinct then if hasler presses he will win the full amount plus more.
Negotiate from a position of strength and if our tactic is a relatively generous settlement then the opposing lawyer instinct will sniff weakness.

A verbal contract is completely legally binding.
If you can reasonably prove it.
Our genius chairman Ray Zib shouted it from the rooftops that we had signed him for three more years so he has handed the lawyers plenty of evidence on a platter.

Hasler was not legally allowed to be poached beyond that point.

Our former coach going to make bank.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know why everyone is getting all worked up about this. We paid Kev Moore for 3 years after he was sacked and at $400k a year it was a lot of dough for the time. So we pay Des something - big deal. Sad but hardly the worst thing we have confronted.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know why everyone is getting all worked up about this. We paid Kev Moore for 3 years after he was sacked and at $400k a year it was a lot of dough for the time. So we pay Des something - big deal. Sad but hardly the worst thing we have confronted.
That’s different.
You described a standard payout from a coaches sacking. Your above scenario is 90 percent of mid season coach sackings.

Haslers situation is different. Ray is trying to pretend Des isn’t entitled to a payout. He almost certainly is and this is a snaky lebbo move by him.

It’s disgusting that’s how we treat one of our coaches who did his arse for us (regardless of how we disliked his style of play and results). Ray wants to kick him out without a cent. I’m sure he has a mortgage to pay.

What great coach would want to play for us after all this?

Also 400k for Kev is relatively cheap to standard for a coach.

In 2012 Flanagan was the lowest paid coach on about 300 I believe.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. Who would have offered him a contract while he was thought to have been re signed by us??? More to the point, who would want to sign him after watchingbus play football???!!!!
Exactly why he wants his money!

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both parties will be asked to try and mediate prior to a full hearing. The easiest way to work out how much we are paying is to take the amount Hasler thinks he’s owed (2m) and the amount the bulldogs think it is (zero) and divide by 2 so I’d say we’ll be up for somewhere upwards of $1m but below the $2m. Haslers lawyers will want to try and sort this out sooner than later. A lengthy legal battle is costly and may not net them any more than they can get via mediation. From a bulldogs perspective anything less than $2m (full payout) is a good result anyway

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s different.
You described a standard payout from a coaches sacking. Your above scenario is 90 percent of mid season coach sackings.

Haslers situation is different. Ray is trying to pretend Des isn’t entitled to a payout. He almost certainly is and this is a snaky lebbo move by him.

It’s disgusting that’s how we treat one of our coaches who did his arse for us (regardless of how we disliked his style of play and results). Ray wants to kick him out without a cent. I’m sure he has a mortgage to pay.

What great coach would want to play for us after all this?

Also 400k for Kev is relatively cheap to standard for a coach.

In 2012 Flanagan was the lowest paid coach on about 300 I believe.
Every good coach will want to work for us because they all like money. You are right they were different circumstances as Kevvy was in the middle of his contract as opposed to Des who was at the end of one and expected to be at the beginning of another one. You seem to be confusing public posturing by legal people with what is happening behind closed doors. Des' lawyers are trying to paint the most horrendous, compelling argument possible in order to convince the Bulldogs to settle. Now if the Dogs have a strong legal position then they will roll the dice, if they don't so much then they will entertain the idea of settling. Just hearing one side of the argument though is only that - one side. Oh, and I doubt Des has a mortgage at this age, given the money he has earned and how tight he reputedly is.

N

Natboy

You guys need to watch more Suits seriously.

If our lawyers are angling for a settlement as per my instinct then if hasler presses he will win the full amount plus more.
Negotiate from a position of strength and if our tactic is a relatively generous settlement then the opposing lawyer instinct will sniff weakness.

A verbal contract is completely legally binding.
If you can reasonably prove it.
Our genius chairman Ray Zib shouted it from the rooftops that we had signed him for three more years so he has handed the lawyers plenty of evidence on a platter.

Hasler was not legally allowed to be poached beyond that point.

Our former coach going to make bank.
Is prince Harry a special guest on that show now?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Take the hit of $$$ and pay Hasler then sack Dib. Said it all along and try to recoup some credibility by announcing that Dib is gone due to this course of action and it not being acceptable. DEStroy Dib in the process! We all move on.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not great with the legal system ... but you'd think Hasler would be at least entitled to the sum of the highest contract he was offered by other clubs.. regardless of whether hoa are legally binding or not .. he was misled by the club and it has cost him as a result.. if there was no offers by other clubs then it's possible that we may win the case

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
A few cliffnotes:

1. McGirr will lose this one.. they aren't a "big" law firm, and I doubt have enough experience to see this one through. That's why they hauled in John Ireland as a QC to assist with the case.
2. Not sure who our club has representing them, but it's sure to be someone at the top of their field as a QC/SC.
3. They are trying to push it to mediation rather than court.
4. Dogs club have FAR more money than Hasler. They could effectively financially strangle him into taking whatever mediation they propose. They just drag things out and let the $$$$ go up and up and up on Haslers tab with McGirr and Ireland.
5. Their claim is BULLSHIT. The NSW job, the Rabbitohs job, and several other coaching jobs have come up for offer AFTER he was sacked, and it was announced, therefore he COULD have applied for them... except everyone knows he's a massive shitcunt.

6. It was Castle who gloated to the media about us signing Hasler, NOT Dib.
http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2017/04/03/hasler_extends_contr.html

Coach Des Hasler will remain with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs for the next two years after signing a contract extension that will keep him at the club until the end of the 2019 season.

The Football Club Board today announced the decision after final negotiations on a contract extension were concluded with the coach putting pen to paper to keep him at Belmore.

Hasler, has had an excellent record with the Bulldogs, taking them to the Finals in each of his five years in charge, including two Grand Final appearances.

Chief Executive Raelene Castle is pleased that negotiations have concluded on a contract extension: "Des is a proven coach. His record over the years shows that and we are extremely pleased that negotiations have resulted in Des remaining at the club until the end of the 2019 season”

“This contract extension builds on the last five years of growth within our football program and Des is looking forward to the next two years.”

Hasler, was happy that a positive result had been reached: "I have been extremely happy here at the Bulldogs. The club has great history and tradition and an incredibly loyal fan base. I am pleased that I have been able to reach an agreement with the club to extend my contract until the end of 2019”
Heard on radio that dib himself and his family are all high profile lawyers but the club is still paying all legal fees regardless of result.. so basically this ass will cost the club Upwards if 1 million alone in legal fees according to abc radio
Dib is NOT a lawyer, nor in legal services. He owns a financial services company.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Take the hit of $$$ and pay Hasler then sack Dib. Said it all along and try to recoup some credibility by announcing that Dib is gone due to this course of action and it not being acceptable. DEStroy Dib in the process! We all move on.
Why DEStroy Dib??? Just on looks alone he should be retained and offered a job as our new mascot. With a head like his, he looks like a Bulldog.

Where as Nick Politis looks like a real Cock!!!

x-factor

Y.N.W.A
Reaction score
Everyone is over thinking this hahah
Who cares if it was announced nothing was signed
He isn’t owed shit! Did he work to get paid for them two years? Are the dogs stopping him getting another job?

Everyone needs to realise this is the big bad world if shit needs to get done you get it done. Who gives a fk about about Hasler and his feelings.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Still not much to worry about. They know the heads of agreement isn't binding in this instance by the sounds of things. But they'll treat it as a civil matter and sue for loss of potential income by coercion. Des could end up getting something depending on how much the high court feels like being nice to him. Very unlikely to get more than $1 mil though.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did des agree to a heads of agreement in the first place then? probably because the team was performing poorly at the time and was used as insurance by the club (smart move). It's equally as likely des is the one trying to rip the club off

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone is over thinking this hahah
Who cares if it was announced nothing was signed
He isn’t owed shit! Did he work to get paid for them two years? Are the dogs stopping him getting another job?

Everyone needs to realise this is the big bad world if shit needs to get done you get it done. Who gives a fk about about Hasler and his feelings.
everyone is all of a sudden a legal professional and knows what agreements were made behind closed doors. There was obviously a reason why des signed a heads of agreement and not a regular fully binding contract. Gave des the chance to turn things around whilst trying to ease the media pressure and gave the club insurance if he failed

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contracts can be verbal.
Announcing it in a press release means he will be entitled to a payout.
Poor management from dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.