Dementia Help

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man.. Yeah either way it takes an incredible toll on them and the family.
Thanks mate, but that was 15 plus years ago, so not distressing to think about anymore. Thankfully I didn’t witness or hear about any really depressing things nan did. From what I know she escaped without the worst of it. I reck9n it would be far better going quickly like my two pops from heart attacks.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation (and @Dogiezz and others) which sounds very difficult to cope with. Whenever I see on the news that a dementia sufferer is missing in the community, it always makes me feel sad. I remember one old guy being huddled up when they found him after a few days. Must be so scary for them and just goes to show, how at the end of the day, we are just our minds, if you know what I mean. I’ve been in a place where my mind was fucked, but I wasn’t full blown crazy, so I know how the mind can warp your reality. It’s heartbreaking seeing once sharp minds so damaged.

The older I get, the more depressing life is when you see all the terrible things that happen to good people. I had an aunt die from MND. Now that’s a fucking cruel disease. Like I said, take me quick when I go please.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really fucked! Sorry to hear that.

We bit the bullet, had emergency come out and take him to hospital. That's the best for his health.
It’s a tough call mate, but in the end hopefully for the best. Like when my mum had a mental break. Hated that decision being made, but in reality it had to be. It sucked seeing her in the mental health ward, but the couple of months stay in there helped her and she lived out her days relatively happily.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old man is going through it too, they do have carer support groups, you can look online or call to find a local group for you.

Yeah I had to take over all finances too, it's a challenge when you have a full time job trying to give your own kids the start in life they need, when you also have your parents as dependants too. Sometimes you just need to get out and scream in frustration. One of the hardest things to do I found was looking after them and still trying to give them some independence where at all possible. the loss of independence for someone that has been looking after others most of his life is tough.

I hope things are still going ok, and if you can try and give yourself the breaks you need. Also it's best to be prepared for what you may have to do, so at least you can plan it rather than having to make decisions around things when emotions can sometimes get the better of us.

But yeah trying to plan for the next thing when you feel you are drowning with the current challenge is a real piece of shit.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi people,

Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with it before, with their family?

I have read lots, still learning

Shit illness! I never knew, just through it was memory loss.

My dad has it, he's dropped so much, quickly... really bad. We are in NSW. He's in good health otherwise.

My age care been difficult, waiting list, phone operators been really difficult, like they don't want to help.

Doctors just act like it's normal but do fuck all!

I quit work to help out with this and everything else.

Called Dementia Australia.. Only offering advice, like who to call. Called who they advised and no help. Operators were both nice and caring.

I want to do the best for my father and I understand it will cost lots, unfortunately.

For whatever reason, we are not liking the idea of respite care. Should we like it?

He has stopped eating / drinking so much, showering cause says "water cold" and doesn't move from the lounge. Gets angry when we try help him. I could go on...

We are at the point of calling private emergency for help... When we called Westmead emergency ambulance recently, they told us to go to a local doctor, who then sent us to emergency, wtf? Then sent him home after tests.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, we want to do what is best.

Thank you!
Hey mate,
I feel ya, it's bloody hell.
I'm also dealing with it with my dad.
We have him in HammondCare dementia ward.

My dad is pretty much a zombi now and on the tail end of it.
He has had dementia for about 10 years now.
He has become violent and is a real handful for staff.
He is in his mid 70s but still very strong despite rapid deterioration.
He has an aneurysm in his stomach and drs have told us best thing for him, if if it ruptured as it will quickly end his life.

Absolutely hell on earth.

By the way,
My mum is also slowly dying from agressive non hodgkins lymphoma cancer.

We have our hands full.

It's an actual legit living hell.

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hey mate,
I feel ya, it's bloody hell.
I'm also dealing with it with my dad.
We have him in HammondCare dementia ward.

My dad is pretty much a zombi now and on the tail end of it.
He has had dementia for about 10 years now.
He has become violent and is a real handful for staff.
He is in his mid 70s but still very strong despite rapid deterioration.
He has an aneurysm in his stomach and drs have told us best thing for him, if if it ruptured as it will quickly end his life.

Absolutely hell on earth.

By the way,
My mum is also slowly dying from agressive non hodgkins lymphoma cancer.

We have our hands full.

It's an actual legit living hell.
So sorry to hear about your parents. All my sympathy mate!