Deliberate Penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It has always been a problem in NRL, how can referees stop teams deliberately giving away penalties near the try line to stop the opposition scoring a try, so they only get 2 points put on them? This is especially relevant in recent timessince it is so easy to give away penalties with the high penalty rate.... so how can it be stopped?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What's the point u making here?
Teams can manage the game how they want.
He's saying that clubs are deliberately giving away penalties on their line to set their defence, and in hope that the team decides to take the 2 from a penalty goal instead of go for the try.

I agree with him too.. this year so many teams have thrown penalties to avoid a try against them.

My solution:
Sinbin every single player who does it. Or pass a rule that if you give away a penalty in 10m zone and the kick is made it's worth 6 points.

Something like that will make the gamble far more risky, as it amounts to nothing more than cheating these days....

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
He's saying that clubs are deliberately giving away penalties on their line to set their defence, and in hope that the team decides to take the 2 from a penalty goal instead of go for the try.

I agree with him too.. this year so many teams have thrown penalties to avoid a try against them.

My solution:
Sinbin every single player who does it. Or pass a rule that if you give away a penalty in 10m zone and the kick is made it's worth 6 points.

Something like that will make the gamble far more risky, as it amounts to nothing more than cheating these days....
Everyone that is a part of it has an agenda whether it be teams or refs.

Not just the game but the world is off its head in terms of corruption!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It shits me... fair enough if you give away one penalty on your own try line, however if a second is given then send the offender behind the dead ball line until the defending team receives the ball and or the opposition scores. This will 100% clean the shit up!
Also ive heard people argue this and say it should only be for similar incidents, however i believe this cant be the case, as coaches / players will try manipulate this just like everything else.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It shits me... fair enough if you give away one penalty on your own try line, however if a second is given then send the offender behind the dead ball line until the defending team receives the ball and or the opposition scores. This will 100% clean the shit up!
Also ive heard people argue this and say it should only be for similar incidents, however i believe this cant be the case, as coaches / players will try manipulate this just like everything else.
That's a bloody good idea!!

Roosters and Souths would end up with 5 less players defending a goal line play and hope like hell the other team didn't get a repeat set :D

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That's a bloody good idea!!

Roosters and Souths would end up with 5 less players defending a goal line play and hope like hell the other team didn't get a repeat set :D
Yeah they would be fucked :D haha. id also go as far to say that if a team gives away a penalty for rushing up offside that it voids a potential 7 tackle set... over teams getting a leg up from cheating and disadvantaging poorer attacking sides. People will say that lower sides need to just ' get better ' but anything that stops penalty goals im all for.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How about refs blowing penalties to tire teams so they don't win a game. What should the punishment be for those who have an agenda against teams like us?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

My solution:

I don't know, I think that Terry Lamb of the 1995 grand final disagrees with you :D

Ultimately, if teams keep giving away penalties, they keep giving away defensive sets on their own lines, making themselves more prone to conceding. If a team can't score after having repeat sets, they don't deserve a try (like our pathetic mob at the moment).

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It has always been a problem in NRL, how can referees stop teams deliberately giving away penalties near the try line to stop the opposition scoring a try, so they only get 2 points put on them? This is especially relevant in recent timessince it is so easy to give away penalties with the high penalty rate.... so how can it be stopped?
It's up to the captain of the attacking side to decide whether to take the 2 or not, so they're not really being forced into anything.

But I think the 5 minute sin bin would help discourage teams from conceding so many penalties.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It's up to the captain of the attacking side to decide whether to take the 2 or not, so they're not really being forced into anything.

But I think the 5 minute sin bin would help discourage teams from conceding so many penalties.
No, please, no more rule changes. There are already far too many. Teams can take the 2, tap, or kick for touch, and STFU. If they don't score any points as a result, too bad. It's their own fault.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No, please, no more rule changes. There are already far too many. Teams can take the 2, tap, or kick for touch, and STFU. If they don't score any points as a result, too bad. It's their own fault.
In general, I agree with no more rule changes, like I wouldn't award extra points for being inside 10 metres etc (the refs have too much to interpret now as it is).... but bringing back the 5 minute sin bin is hardly a rule change. Refs can give 10 minutes now but seem too reluctant.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

May as well sit them on the sideline till they get to attack again.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The sin bin is clearly being used more often which is good, but I think these smaller infringements on purpose should be a 5 min sin bin.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind the following kind of sinbin:

- For repeated infringements in the 10M, players can be sin binned for a total of 5 minutes OR if the opposition scores a try. If the opposition scores, player is allowed to resume play at the kick off.

That way:
a) Team is not punished for 10 whole minutes (1/8th of the game)
b) Refs will be more likely to use it (see above)
c) Players are still putting themselves at risk

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The manipulation point is a good one and it has not stopped coaches from formulating new tactics to circumvent the spirit of the game. Don't think it would work and would open a can of worms in relation to policing of penalties.

So if one player is pinged for offside on the third tackle and a new set of six is taken and four tackles later another is penalised for hands on the ball that is enough to have a player binned? Would they do the same then in general play in the middle of the field in the same situation? Rules are rules so we make a brand new ( punishment) one just because it is in the ten and not the middle of the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.