News Defence Minded Bulldogs To Build On 2019

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Dean Pay will not wax lyrical about how the Bulldogs finished their NRL campaign last year. All he is concerned about is how they end the season ahead. Rock bottom for the first half of 2019, Canterbury lost only three of their final 10 games to finish just three points outside of the top eight. As much as he wants to start fresh, Pay acknowledges building on that momentum and experience will be crucial for success in 2020.

One of the biggest hurdles is the absence of star half Kieran Foran, who is expected to miss at least the first half of the season due to the shoulder injury he suffered playing for New Zealand. However, the multi-million dollar star managed just 14 games last year and in his absence a new combination of Jack Cogger and Lachlan Lewis arose. Cogger will get another chance to step into Foran's shoes this year, while talented youngster Brandon Wakeham, who played three NRL games last year, is nipping at his heels.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's no doubting how well and hard the team played of the last few months last season and the defence was outstanding.

But even during that winning run we still struggled to score most games and unless the attack is improved to start the season I feel like we'll struggle for wins early this season.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we are just gonna grind and frustrate teams like we did to Souths, Storm, etc. We may win a couple of odd games but we still lack that class to get us over the line when the effort is there.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If our defence is off we will be looking down the barrel of the spoon. We just don’t have enough points in us. We can’t leak more then 3 tries on average a game or we will be on deep trouble. We managed to do it at the end of last season so there’s no reason we can’t do it again.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wakeham “nipping at their heels” lol.
He’s bitten both of their legs off.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham must start pay, that’s the first thing you need to nip in the butt!! right along with our defence,however in saying that, I still feel we will have a pretty productive year and surprise a few teams..!!

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck me if cogger and Lewis start over wakeham come round 1 pay is throwing his chances of staying on as coach down the drain I watched the trial on the weekend VS Sharks they where shit and struggled to set up and score points soon as wakeham comes on we score more points im not saying he set all the trys up but he offers more then cogger and Lewis together I'm going to the port trial this weekend hopefully pay starts wakeham this weekend I don't no what more he has to do

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fucking sad how Lewis has a mortgage on the 7 when he's not a halfbacks asshole...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's no doubting how well and hard the team played of the last few months last season and the defence was outstanding.

But even during that winning run we still struggled to score most games and unless the attack is improved to start the season I feel like we'll struggle for wins early this season.
I often think that teams only gain attacking confidence through winning. So hopefully we can nab a few early wins and build our attacking flair as we go.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They will want to be defence minded if Cogger and Lewis are the starting halves for the season because we will be playing a lot of footy in our own end

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fuck me if cogger and Lewis start over wakeham come round 1 pay is throwing his chances of staying on as coach down the drain I watched the trial on the weekend VS Sharks they where shit and struggled to set up and score points soon as wakeham comes on we score more points im not saying he set all the trys up but he offers more then cogger and Lewis together I'm going to the port trial this weekend hopefully pay starts wakeham this weekend I don't no what more he has to do
" I don't no what more he has to do".

How do you change a coach's narrow, inexpansive strategy mindset?

Looks like we won't know until it's probably panic stations and Wakeham gets thrown in as last roll of the dice if LewCog can't create :(

With Wakeham starting it seems clear we have a much better chance in hitting the ground running.