Defence Force

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anybody in here in the ADF or has been in before? Wouldn't mind a chat if there is. Cheers

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope i thought about it though have some family who serve. Is pretty tough i think you do 6 months training (which is in Melbourne i think) then they place you somewhere where they think you will be best served and you will be there for 4 years they might move you around here and there depending. If you want to stay on after 4 years is up to you.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope i thought about it though have some family who serve. Is pretty tough i think you do 6 months training (which is in Melbourne i think) then they place you somewhere where they think you will be best served and you will be there for 4 years they might move you around here and there depending. If you want to stay on after 4 years is up to you.
Thanks mate, I'm looking to get in as a helicopter pilot. The training is in Canberra now by the sounds of it. Very intense training and medical assessments but once past that I think would be so fucking cool being in charge of the blackhawks and seahawks and the rest. There's a bit of survival at sea training too which sounds crazy but to pass all that would be so self satisfying and rewarding

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Raaf and army both have helicopter pilots, if your looking at raaf then you'd be going into Victoria (Edinburgh) for enlistment and initial training, then of to either NT or Williamtown for flight training, most training was run out of Wagga but has been moved around a fair bit lately . If your looking at Army helicopter pilot then it would be Williamtown. Previous experience and current family member is going through helicopter training in the army at Williamtown.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wanted to join the Army when I was young but ended up on the railway, at least I got a uniform and some power.
They still came down hard on you for a misroute.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raaf and army both have helicopter pilots, if your looking at raaf then you'd be going into Victoria (Edinburgh) for enlistment and initial training, then of to either NT or Williamtown for flight training, most training was run out of Wagga but has been moved around a fair bit lately . If your looking at Army helicopter pilot then it would be Williamtown. Previous experience and current family member is going through helicopter training in the army at Williamtown.
Thanks mate, yeah Navy also have helicopter pilots. How far into training is your family member?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
6 years 5/7 RAR back when I had knees that worked. Got my Crossed Rifles and took part in the big Kangaroo exercise of 89. Never saw any action unless you consider a couple of skirt wearing staff car drivers in the barracks?

Had a lot of fun, learned some good skills, made a lot of mates that I rarely catch up with now, repelled out of a chopper, rode on the back of a Leopard tank. My most vivid memory was being part of a M60 school where we had 15 machine guns set up firing 1 in 5 tracers at night. Spectacular. I always liked the unofficial Army motto - "Travel the world, meet new and interesting people...and kill them."

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thanks mate, yeah Navy also have helicopter pilots. How far into training is your family member?
I'm going to say about a month ago, around the same time my son and he stopped playing some pc game, he was pretty cut when his cousin couldn't play with him . He is an officer in the army and was trying to commission into the Raaf but was denied so he was given priority for helicopter training. Guess the army wanted to keep him.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd love to be trained as a sniper.

would come in handy at BLM rallies.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
My son is in the Navy and is training to become a clearance diver. Very demanding but he would not do anything else.
It's a lonely life as a navy vet.
They leave their gfs for the sea 6 months at a time.

It's easy work but fuck drowning (if it all goes wrong).

The best is definitely Air Force. OP please be quick because top gun 2 is coming out soon which may lead to a surge in applicants (it did in 1986).

you just drop bombs on terrorists and third worlders from high above Where you can't be touched. And pension for life.What could go wrong? Sounds Like heaven in a way

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Means it would be fun to knock off armed BLM idiots. Unclear?

Like the guy that took care of this bloke
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...26/us/austin-shooting-texas-protests.amp.html
You have the occasional useful/informative/interesting post, but a lot of baiting/trolling and purposely racist/offensive comments that are written to just get a rise out of people and you would be well served to have them eliminated from your repertoire. End of engagement.

Sorry to the OP for derailing your thread.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You have the occasional useful/informative/interesting post, but a lot of baiting/trolling and purposely racist/offensive comments that are written to just get a rise out of people and you would be well served to have them eliminated from your repertoire. End of engagement.

Sorry to the OP for derailing your thread.
Although I disagree. I respect you were courteous in your assessment and response. Very rare here.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
snipers live and still get to do the fun stuff.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The movie Commando was more fun than American Sniper so I win lol
but all the side characters in the commando ,movies are commandos that just get shot straight away.

if you are a sniper you can get a beer and just sit sand not get physical.